Miata Beaters

airmenair

This is just in good fun so lets not start a flame war. First off, I like the Miata and respect what it can do but I also like a little selection.

"Beaters" is a bit ambiguous I know but it makes a decent thread title. What I mean by "Miata Beaters" is this:

A car of any era that shares a similar layout to the Miata. Preferably RWD, 2 doors, and lightweight. It would have to be competitive around a track with a Miata, stock or with modifications, within reason. Total cost involved should be on par with any of the Miata generations. FWD could also work as long as it is competitive.

As to whether NA, NB or NC Miatas are being considered, I have no preference. You can pick whichever to compare to.

Without too much thought to the modifications required here are a few I thought would be interesting.

FB RX7

9575d1147309820-fb-rx-7s-for-drifting-good-or-bad-dsc06304.jpg

240Z

38562030328_large.jpg

AE86 Corolla

toyota-corolla-ae86.jpg

FB. I love those cars.

MR2 Spyder, made almost solely for the purpose of being a Miata-beater.
F3112524.jpg

MGF
800px-MG_TF_2002.jpg

Pontiac Solstice
800px-2009_Pontiac_Solstice_GXP_coupe_front_--_11-13-2009.jpg

http://img705.imageshack.**/img705/1791/dsc0396zl.jpg

A beater Miata is a Miata Beater. :p

I want that Datsun!

std_78_triumph_spitfire_1500_fh-1+(1).jpg

Spitty 1500, RWD, lightweight, 2 door convertible, a few mods could get it closer to the MX-5s speed but overall it probably wouldn't put up much of a fight... Still rather have one though!

Still, a sports car isn't a sports car if it doesn't have rear suspension that will fling the car into uncontrollable oversteer. :lol:

All of the above might be rivals, but since the NA was launched I don't think anyone has come that close to beating the MX5. The Honda S2000 might at a pinch but they are a good deal more expensive and somewhat tricky in the wet. And the dry in some cases. Likewise the Boxster, but running costs rule it out.

I'll stick with what I have.

Until I can afford a used ND in a few years time if rumours about what it is expected to be are true ie 50mpg and a dry weight of about a ton.

Lotus Elan, the car that inspired the MX-5, a good Elan would win on track every time in the right hands.

1988_pontiac_fiero_gt_207.jpg

There was one for sale near me. 1988, 2.8 V6, 5 Speed manual, and only 86k miles. They were asking $4,000.

std_78_triumph_spitfire_1500_fh-1+(1).jpg

Spitty 1500, RWD, lightweight, 2 door convertible, a few mods could get it closer to the MX-5s speed but overall it probably wouldn't put up much of a fight... Still rather have one though!

Still, a sports car isn't a sports car if it doesn't have rear suspension that will fling the car into uncontrollable oversteer. :lol:

I'd rather have a sports car than a truck. :p

800px-%2766_MG_MGB_%28Ottawa_British_Car_Show_%2710%29.jpg

2000lbs and a V8. Fuck yeah.

Or if that is too big/heavy:

603px-AHFrogeyeSprite.jpg

Depends what you want to use it for.

Daily driver to put a grin on your face? MX5

Something for track use? Take your pic from the above.

Autocross? Original Mini Cooper would do me.

There's a y u no in there somewhere if I could just think of it.