Miata Beaters

I'd disagree, money and running cost issues (insurance included) are never too pedantic if we're comparing cars. And if we're talking cost of maintenance, those lovely light aluminum body parts on the NSX are expensive to repair or replace, which can be problematic in daily driving or racing; it also drives up the cost of insurance.

Don't wreck it :p

People do, but people often get rather steep discounts on them. I was considering trading in my '06 GT on an '09 Sport when the Sports had an MSRP of $22,000 and a $5,000 rebate AND it was a leftover on a dealer lot. Some of the new, less-than-100-miles Miatas were going for $18,000 at the time.

Dammit, don't tempt me :(. My siblings can almost drive themselves now, soon I will no longer need back seats.

So for the price of a new MX-5, the most vanilla sports car in history, you could have a car that was developed with Ayrton Senna and was an inspiration for the Mclaren F1 (NSX) a car that put Corvette back on the map, winning Lemans and sticking it to the Italians (Z06) a car with one of the finest FR chassis ever made, covered in one of the sexiest bodies ever made (FD) a true German thoroughbred (996 Carrera) or a lightweight roadster with a stonking great straight six (Z3 M)
[equiraptor mode]
NSX is much more expensive to maintain than a Miata, and parts are far more expensive. For the same money, you're way better off buying a Miata.
Z06 is way too wide to be able to beat a Miata through a tight autocross slalom. Clearly the Miata is superior!
FD is basically a Miata except heavier. Lighter = better so Miata > FD.
996 has the same problems as the NSX and it's also heavier like the FD. The Miata is WAY better.
Z3M is a worse handling Miata than a Miata.

PROBLEM?
[/equiraptor mode]

I'm sorry, Eunos_Cosmo, but I'm never sure if I should take you seriously or not. Do you really believe FR, MR, and RR layouts all give the same experience? Do you think people respond to the cars, on the street, the same way? Do you really think that rotary engine and that I6 have the same torque profiles and cause the same vibrations in the car? Or are you genuinely asking for a description of the driving experiences of the cars?

If you're genuinely interested, I have real-world seat time in many of those cars, and would be happy to discuss some of my experiences. If you're just looking for more ways to argue, please carry on without me.
You could be on Initial D. Seriously. Supah advanceh fo' dubba-yah-dee system is no match for the perfectly balanced Miatah! Hell, you could be a guest star instead of Tsuchiya and give them advice based on your real-world seat time.
By the way, not sure if you're at liberty to discuss this, but do you know when stage five is coming out?

I've had a go in 'modifying' cars. They are just never as good. If you want a faster car, buy a faster car. The best engineers are the ones who work for the car makers. Not the ones who fabricate LS1 mount-kits for Miatas. I would rather have a stock, or mildly modified MX-5 over one with a V8.
Eh, engineers leave a huge safety margin since they have to worry about lawsuits, emissions, etc. Aftermarket can take advantage of that.

So, it's become a thread about people proposing cars that are different and in someways better, someways worse, than a Miata and then Miata owners listing off reasons why it is inferior. It makes my head hurt.
Agreed. It's also funny when someone brings up an area of weakness with the Miata, such as lack of room, and the response is "yeah, well you don't really need room anyways" :lol:

People do, but people often get rather steep discounts on them. I was considering trading in my '06 GT on an '09 Sport when the Sports had an MSRP of $22,000 and a $5,000 rebate AND it was a leftover on a dealer lot. Some of the new, less-than-100-miles Miatas were going for $18,000 at the time.
Not bad. I hate the new body style though, need my pop up lights!

I must spread gayness before giving it to LeVeL again :p

Hachi-Roku > Miata cuz it beat one by driving on AIR!!!!

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't even be stumbling into this thread as I'm WAY late and haven't read shit but...

Any debates on boring and "blah-ness" of the NC

5628222798_148651a20a_z.jpg

5627644801_defdcb36cf_z.jpg

away.jpg

5221357874_a1833012d1_z.jpg

4759180347_b0ab752c19_b.jpg

4759180567_531491e30b_b.jpg

039_s.jpg

081_s.jpg

Random-Snap-046.jpg

[equiraptor mode]
NSX is much more expensive to maintain than a Miata, and parts are far more expensive. For the same money, you're way better off buying a Miata.
Z06 is way too wide to be able to beat a Miata through a tight autocross slalom. Clearly the Miata is superior!
FD is basically a Miata except heavier. Lighter = better so Miata > FD.
996 has the same problems as the NSX and it's also heavier like the FD. The Miata is WAY better.
Z3M is a worse handling Miata than a Miata.

PROBLEM?
[/equiraptor mode]

One thing you're ignoring with at least some of those cars... FD's reliability is subpar, even with "reliability mods." The FD and Porsche have a great benefit though... their chassis can handle more power and have a bit more space for storing shit.

Oh and they tend not to be targets for having their hard tops stolen.

Those look pretty sick. If only they made one with a renesis...:/

The white one with RPF1s <3

Wheels and lowering really makes a car.

Here's another I don't think anyone has mentioned. It's not FR but I think it would be very competitive with all generations of Miata.

Integra GSR

Integra-Gsr.jpg

Power to weight ratio better than all NA Miatas, all NB Miatas with the exception of the Mazda Speed, and comparable with the NC Miata.

Not to mention it has one of the best FWD chassis ever made.

I would say that is a Miata beater.

Last edited:
Here's another I don't think anyone has mentioned. It's not FR but I think it would be very competitive with all generations of Miata.

Integra GSR

Integra-Gsr.jpg

Power to weight ratio better than all NA Miatas, all NB Miatas with the exception of the Mazda Speed, and comparable with the NC Miata.

Not to mention it has one if the best FWD chassis ever made.

I would say that is a Miata beater.

fwd.png

Yeah yeah yeah, whatever man! I'd prefer RWD but there are some slick handling FWD cars out there. Integras are one of the best.

I'm sure there are gentle rapists out there, but I still don't want to be a part of the experience :p

Actually I'd love to even drive Integra Type R. Here they're on a totally different price level than NAs, so it wasn't a choice. But after Evo magazine declared ITR as the best handling FWD car ever built, it has to be something really special. They also said it's diff makes wonders to prevent understeer and it's really steerable with the throttle.

FWD might not be everybodys choice, but to be honest, stock NA is not excatly a drifting machine on dry asfalt. You can do slides, but you can also do nice lift-off oversteer stuff with well balanced FWD car.

B13 Sentra SE-R and Integra Type-R about the only 2 cars I'd consider for good handling FWD.

This. Very much this. +rep
To go a bit into equiraptor mode here.
There are FWDs that can run on tracks and backroads very well. The Mini, EK/EG, older Golfs (new one is a bit heavy IMO), the Tegs but nothing FWD will ever have the same driving enjoyment as RWD, its just not possible.

EDIT: forgot about CRX.

To go a bit into equiraptor mode here.
There are FWDs that can run on tracks and backroads very well. The Mini, EK/EG, older Golfs (new one is a bit heavy IMO), the Tegs but nothing FWD will ever have the same driving enjoyment as RWD, its just not possible.

EDIT: forgot about CRX.
A good FWD car is far better and more fun than a mediocre RWD car though