Minecraft

Are there more efficient ways to mine other than pick at it with an axe one block at a time?

Rather than just dig a hole somewhere, it's much more fun to find a cave and explore. The random level generator tends to make huge networks of caves connected together. You're also more likely to find resources that way.

Rather than just dig a hole somewhere, it's much more fun to find a cave and explore. The random level generator tends to make huge networks of caves connected together. You're also more likely to find resources that way.

Cool, I'll try to look for caves.

I just bought the game on Saturday and I couldn't stop playing it. Really fun. I found this wonderful valley totally surrounded by high cliffs and waterfalls. I set up base on one of the criffs, but somehow, whatever i build just doesn't seem as 'epic' or nice as what other people have done. It's as if it lacks that spark. That 26 part minecraft tutorial on youtube helped me greatly. I haven't even found a single giant cavern yet and all I do is dig downwards, so that kind of sucks. I feel like starting a new game to get a clean slate.

I just bought the game on Saturday and I couldn't stop playing it. Really fun. I found this wonderful valley totally surrounded by high cliffs and waterfalls. I set up base on one of the criffs, but somehow, whatever i build just doesn't seem as 'epic' or nice as what other people have done. It's as if it lacks that spark. That 26 part minecraft tutorial on youtube helped me greatly. I haven't even found a single giant cavern yet and all I do is dig downwards, so that kind of sucks. I feel like starting a new game to get a clean slate.

Well, with a (virtually) infinite world, a clean slate is just a few minutes' walk away :p

The crap I've built just seems like a stain on the image. But, you're right. I'll just walk in another direction and see what I get

i'm doing some server tests, so we might have fg.com unofficial server with whitelist so we don't get any unwanted griefers (only our own ;) ).
So when its ready and running, i'll post here and you'll give me just your minecraft nick (preferately via pm) to e added to the whitelist (to let you in).

Last edited:
i'm doing some server tests, so we might have fg.com unofficial server with whitelist so we don't get any unwanted griefers (only our own ;) ).
So when its ready and running, i'll post here and you'll give me just your minecraft nick (preferately via pm) to e added to the whitelist (to let you in).

Oh! that would be great! Thanks! :D

Awesome! I just found a huge ass cave today. Walked in there for 20 minutes. I currently use a program called Minetographer to see the map. Is there a program that allows me to see layer-by-layer?

That'd be great! Thanks!

I picked up the game a few days ago and am totally hooked. I built a fairly extensive mine system and spent the better part of a day constructing an underwater farm, which was pretty difficult since (unless I'm missing something) the only way to build underwater is to plan ahead and build a caisson in the frame of the structure and then to dredge out the water by selectively filling in areas with dirt and then removing the mud. All while working within breaths. It was tedious but worth it when everything was finished.

I currently use a program called Minetographer to see the map. Is there a program that allows me to see layer-by-layer?

I don't know of any program like that. I use the simpleColors map overlay while playing (with the better lighting/grass effects and HD textures added to make the game a little less 8-bit), but that only gives a top-down view of the world near you and your location in X,Y. I wish there was some way of getting your relative depth to the surface. It would make connecting tunnels a bit easier. To make some of my mines connect I had to count blocks going down on locations around 50 blocks apart. At one location I was 10 blocks off vertically and 2 off horizontally. I wasted a good hour and a half trying to figure out where the the two tunnels were in relation to each other.

Last edited:
I picked up the game a few days ago and am totally hooked. I built a fairly extensive mine system and spent the better part of a day constructing an underwater farm, which was pretty difficult since (unless I'm missing something) the only way to build underwater is to plan ahead and build a caisson in the frame of the structure and then to dredge out the water by selectively filling in areas with dirt and then removing the mud. All while working within breaths. It was tedious but worth it when everything was finished.

young one, use ladders while working underwater, as they use 1 block.
(they make 1 block of airpocket) see vid below.

hmm, texturepacks + map hawt.
How hard was the modding?

edit, the server seems to work in the tests And is basic server.
Spawnpoint is small lake :D only got killed 10 times :p
So starting to take in the nicks before server is moved to the location where its run :eek:

Last edited:
young one, use ladders while working underwater, as they use 1 block.
(they make 1 block of airpocket)

hmm, texturepacks + map hawt.
How hard was the modding?

edit, the server seems to work in the tests And is basic server.
Spawnpoint is small lake :D only got killed 10 times :p
So starting to take in the nicks before server is moved to the location where its run :eek:

That is a good method. My Caisson method is actually pretty easy once it gets started. I use a door inside the structure to got out to the unfinished section and use pumpkins to light up the underwater areas until I can create an air pocket that I can place a torch in. Also it's a little less resource hungry than the ladder method. I use only dirt and the materials that the walls are made of (plus shovels and pickaxes). The end results are pretty good:

This is my underwater "farm". It's also designed as a junction area for expansion into other underwater rooms that I might decide to build.

The modding was both easy and difficult: The HD texture pack and the simpleColors lighting/map overlay both have installers which correctly modify the minecraft.jar file without any hitches. However, I've been trying to install a grass modification which would make grass actually 3D, but every time I put it into the java file, the game freezes up.

Does your server being "up" mean that we can start connecting to it if we PM our minecraft names?

That is a good method. My Caisson method is actually pretty easy once it gets started. I use a door inside the structure to got out to the unfinished section and use pumpkins to light up the underwater areas until I can create an air pocket that I can place a torch in. Also it's a little less resource hungry than the ladder method. I use only dirt and the materials that the walls are made of (plus shovels and pickaxes). The end results are pretty good:

This is my underwater "farm". It's also designed as a junction area for expansion into other underwater rooms that I might decide to build.

The modding was both easy and difficult: The HD texture pack and the simpleColors lighting/map overlay both have installers which correctly modify the minecraft.jar file without any hitches. However, I've been trying to install a grass modification which would make grass actually 3D, but every time I put it into the java file, the game freezes up.

Does your server being "up" mean that we can start connecting to it if we PM our minecraft names?

Ah you never stop learning the ways of the minecraft.
I'm wondering about to get minimap to my corner.

The server is working, but i need to contact the person who hosts the server.
And since i asked the pm's now that i still have the name file @ my computer, otherwise i need to log into the game and then add manually with command the nicks.

I'll post the ip (if the host agrees tot that, otherwise it'll be pm response to minecraft nick) and also give some commands you have @ server since there is warp installed.

The server is UP!!

For security reasons (and because its not my server where minecraft is run) the ip will be given to players who have send me pm with their name!

there is 1 command /warp to be used as the name implies warp.
Code:
Commands Code:
    /warp [name] teleports you to the location.
    /setwarp [name] set the location for future use.
    /removewarp [name] removes the warp
    /listwarps <name> lists top 8 warps, using name as wildcard search

I made "safe-heaven" next to the spawn, with /warp begin , PLZ don't destroy it.
Server has max 20 players, and it checks the nicks from minecraft.net

Last edited:
I just started building a little house on the server up on the hill.

I'll finish it later, but please don't disturb it!

I've claimed one of the rooms in the safehouse. Mine is the one with the Brick walls and Red Carpet, it also has a sign outside.

I have claimed 1 as well, its empty room with sign on top of the door stating "this room belongs to Galantti"

I just tried the server and my screen is skipping like crazy. Is that normal for a first time load?

I had some issues like that initially, but they seemed to subside after a while. Last night I went back to my single player map, but now that we've got several people on Galantti's server I'll probably spend most of my time there. Gonna have to make a room for myself.