Concept: MINI 50th Anniversary Coupe Speedster

That roofline is just terrible.

Other than that it does look pretty good.

From the B-pillar forward it's fantastic, but the weird roofline is just too awkward.

It looks like it's wearing a toupee.

i quite like it

So it's called the Couper?

I don't think it looks that great, but it probably looks better in person.

See, this doesn't work because they are trying to make it out of a mini. A mini is a mini. It is a rather iconic shape and making it smushed like that just doesn't work. You can't make a boxy shaped thing aerodynamic, it just doesn't work.

See, this doesn't work because they are trying to make it out of a mini. A mini is a mini. It is a rather iconic shape and making it smushed like that just doesn't work. You can't make a boxy shaped thing aerodynamic, it just doesn't work.

Exactly. It's like VW turning the Beetle into this:

TorqueOmata2920.jpg

:|

I like it. Make this and a pickup based on the Clubman, and then leave the lineup alone after that. We don't need (or want) a 4- door Hornet or an SUV.

They tore a page out of the Audi design book of taking a Beetle and squishing it to make the TT.

From the B-pillar forward it's fantastic, but the weird roofline is just too awkward.

This.

It was inspired by a baseball cap... The people on the Car and Driver blogs are in strong agreement with you guys about its ugliness.

And damn, you beat me to it...Damn time-zones...

Looks pretty good apart from the backwards baseball cap.

But not the arse...

So basically: B forward = alright...by mini standards...

The roof would have looked so much better if they had just taken the roof from the hatch and angled it downwards towards to the rear, gotten rid of most of that saloon style bootlid, and possibly angled the rear of the car a bit more instead of keeping it vertical as per the hatch.

The roof on the mini, the distinct rounded rectangle is almost as iconic as the car itself, something which the designers of this one thought they could replace with something better, but it didn't do well. The roof just gives a sharp angle which ruins the flow of the upper window line.

Other than that, it looks good, like the wheels and the dark light surrounds. The front end of the Mk2 BMW MINI looks better than their first one.