Mini Roadtrip 2016 - Il Lavoro Italiano, Aug 7-11

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Just like last year there are probably people who like the idea of a Roadtrip but can't afford the time off or the budget to take part in the main one.

Personally I'm cooling on the idea of the main one. For one it would use up half my annual leave entitlement (effectively more as I have to use some for the Christmas and New Year period when the company shuts down) and being a native Brit it doesn't excite me the same way that it does our continental European members.

If nothing else happens then I will possibly join the main one for the second week but chime in here if you want to take part in something a little less ambitious but no more rubbish. The idea I have in mind is to convene somewhere (Ardennes forest perhaps?) on the Saturday or Sunday before Ringmeet, base ourselves in one place if possible and have a few days driving around and/or visiting interesting things/places before a rendezvous with the main trip on the Wednesday at the karting venue and then taking the scenic drive through Belgium to VS to begin Ringmeet.

Last edited:
More interested in a mini trip since I also don't have a lot of time off.

This is more like it. I might even make it a 2 day trip to get there and go via the good driving roads in the Dolomites and Switzerland.

It doesn't have to be France/Belgium, that was just one idea. Open to other suggestions by all means.

This might getting to and from the continent interesting to me, not intending on taking anything I own across the water. Hopefully there should be enough cars as long as everyone doesn't abandon the UK trip.

I'm not trying to scupper the main trip, just provide options for those for whom it might be a stretch for one reason or another.

Inspired by a bit of recent thread necromancy, this post in particular https://forums.finalgear.com/general-automotive/local-info-needed-european-alps-40262/#post1185670

i realise it's a schlep to get there for me but once there I think I would enjoy it more than Scotland. Naturally its location would also suit the likes of Thomas, Ice, nicjasno, 47, Beni perhaps and maybe even some of our Italian members could join us for a day or two? Convene at a campsite central to the area on the Sunday, three days of awesome roads then blast up to VS on the Thursday. I would probably leave the UK on the Saturday and overnight somewhere en route.

Much more convinent time-wise to me. Also alpine roadtrips are the best roadtrips. I'm game.

Well that makes three of us as I think Ice prefers this option too and I'm sure others will pitch in. I realise it means missing that go karting place the main Roadtrip is planning to stop at but I will happily trade that for awesome Alpine roads and not getting bitten to death by midges in the Highlands.

I prefer Alpine roads as well, but I do like to see other areas as well, just to confirm it's the best place to visit.. :p

I basically want to do the first roadtrip again. Cortina dan Pezzo, Stelvio, Davos, all that jazz. :)

Reactions: lip
I'm happy with that since I missed that one. I do like the idea of one campsite as a base like we did last year though. Is that feasible?

Cortina dan Pezzo
It's Cortina d'Ampezzo ffs... :p

I am interested in taking the mini trip this year, maybe flying in. At the moment I don't know anything about my work situation then since I'm currently on the way to change companies.

I'm happy with that since I missed that one. I do like the idea of one campsite as a base like we did last year though. Is that feasible?

One campsite should be more than feasible - given the density of lovely roads, you can easily get several day trips from a single central location.

I guess that pretty much settles it. Thread title amended accordingly.

In thus far just me, Ice, Lip and a possible Eye-Q and CrzRsn so it really is a mini trip as it stands but I am sure numbers will increase with time, hopefully someone who speaks the lingo as my Italian is virtually non-existent.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds just about possible and with the central campground scheme I could just arrive later or leave earlier if that is necessary. So I'm interested!

At least in the Dolomites there are plenty of possible routes we could take from a central spot and also plenty of campgrounds around. I only have personal experience with the one we used 2012, it was allright if not very luxurious, but I can check out others.

Here's a good spot in rather central location. Been there twice, great scenery from the spot and good facilities. Also, right at the bottom of Passo Gardena, one of my all time favorite roads, so evening runs on empty passes..! :burnrubber:

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
It's virtually en route to Ringmeet, tenting is cheap, you would be buying food (and beer?) at home anyway, the bike doesn't use that much gas.......