Mini Roadtrip to Ringmeet 2015 [Short German Roadtrip]

loose_unit

DONOR
Car(s)
Model Y, NA MX-5, Volvo 940, Zastava
I came up with the idea of doing a shorter roadtrip for those of us that can't justify the time or the expense of doing the gigantic 1 - 2 week trips.

The dates for this will be determined once Ringmeet 2015 dates have been confirmed.

No campsites have been confirmed, they are all there as rough distance estimation points, please feel free to suggest camp sites/locations.

Firstly, map can be found here. Starting in the Black Forest! https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zG4xNmhtNiIg.kDXmOl7zIqJc

I made 3 simple rules for setting the route:
  1. No more than three driving days with
  2. No more than 5 total hours of roads on those days (Excludes autobahn)
  3. No more than one days drive from the ring (800km set as furthers point)

So, the schedule will be.
Day 0 - Monday August 3rd - Get yourself to the start point.
Day 1 - Tuesday August 4th - Enjoy the day of driving, complete the loop and stay at the same place.
Day 2 - Wednesday August 5th - Enjoy the day of driving, head to the next camp site.
Day 3 - Thursday August 6th - Stop for a few hours on the last day at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart then head to the ring with a mix of autobahn and fun roads, arriving at the ring on the same day as the main roadtrip people.

Here is a link to the spreadsheet with all the info: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HZXCAKdyJXhaItp0sj3jAYEE4vySRJ8qgeukXz9IItQ/edit?usp=sharing

Comments, suggestions, interested, not interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MWF
I like the idea, if for some reason I can't make it to the proper road trip I'd definitely want to join this. :)

Count me in (passenger). The main one sounds epic but also going to be out of reach for me both in terms of cost and the amount of paid leave required. This is a lot more doable. And easy flies LGW to Basel which would be ideal for getting out there. The sooner we can firm down the dates the better then I can book the flight.

Or I could go by train to Belgium and hook up with DaHitch. Either works.

Last edited:
Depending on my budget next year, i might be forced to opt for that instead of the big one (though i'd love to do the scandinavia trip).

As much as our Scandinavian pals have been accommodating in the past with the lengths they went to for previous roadtrips, which were a lot closer to the rest of us and a lot further from them and as much as we'd all like to see the favour returned, I think everyone has to accept the nasty truth that at the end of the day, that on average they just have more disposable income and this year has been especially bad when it comes to credit crunching in "mainland" Europe. :(

I'd still love to the main roadtrip one day, however this year... Well, I'll just let Reggie Watts explain it.

Last edited:
Me likey the idea and the first glance, but I am clearly biased due to location. Will have a closer look at the suggested routes later.

I think everyone has to accept the nasty truth that at the end of the day, that on average they just have more disposable income and this year has been especially bad when it comes to credit crunching in "mainland" Europe. :(

Well, in a sense this is the best possible time for the trip (they way it seems at the moment at least), as fuel prices are down. Fuel has been like 50-70% of total trip costs for me so far.

neat idea. i'll have to figure out what with work and money and all that kind of stuff whether i can make the big roadtrip a reality. if not, i'd be very much interested in this :)

I still hope that I can make the full trip but if it does start to seem unrealistic it would be nice to join this smaller one instead, especially if I can't afford a beater and plan on using the Disco.

Or I could go by train to Belgium and hook up with DaHitch. Either works.

In that case you might want to bring a helmet and be prepared to ride pillion. ;)

Bloody homotorcyclists! Get off my lawn! :shakefist:

Bloody homotorcyclists! Get off my lawn! :shakefist:

I'll be taking something of my own, hopefully, so if it's a car you are welcome to join me also :-D

If I decide to join, which is very likely at this point, you're welcome to sit on the saffron-yellow passengerseat of my BMW.

Perfect. I rather fancy the idea of getting there by train so that would fit nicely.