Mininova watching for copyright material and removing it

Mercedes5CLR

Car(s)
2014 Ford Taurus
Just read that Mininova.org is removing material that is copyrighted. They are doing this in response to Piratesbay site being sued in europe. They have said that they will stop and remove any material that is copyrighted and if you try to repost the video or content the material will not be posted up on the site.

We need to watch what will happen when TG and Fifth gear season start in a few weeks. I hope Mininova will not remove the video's but, we need to have a plan in place if they do.

More infomation on G4.com

Thanks,

Mercedes5CLR

I like that part about a plan. Fortunately, there are tons of other torrent sites out there.
I would consider the "fish" site, but might be a challenge since it would require everyone to be registered there...

Them gutless morons. The TPB case is being reviewed, first of all because the judge seems to be heavily under record industry influence, if not even huge bribes. They'll probably go to court again with a different (hopefully unbiased) judge.

We'll find the torrents, if not on Pirate Bay, then on one of the numerous torrent sites. Or god forbid, on Google, which seems to be somehow on top of all of this copyright-BS.

From what I've heard, it's only RIAA/MPAA stuff. If not, then we'll find alternate sites/solutions. Don't worry. :)

Good thing I downloaded Pineapple Express last night then...

Don't EZTV post TG/FG rips too? We could just use that... all the torrents on Mininova can be found elsewhere, with a little more work.

Don't EZTV post TG/FG rips too? We could just use that... all the torrents on Mininova can be found elsewhere, with a little more work.

You're welcome to use their torrents, but I won't be linking to them. They're slow (too many peers, not enough seeds) and their release times are slow as well.

I dunno about the release times, but I consistenly get 900-1000kb/s from EZTV - not bad for a public site.

Plus I'm just saying there are many other options to Minonova, I usually get the TG/FG rips from the main site here.

I dunno about the release times, but I consistenly get 900-1000kb/s from EZTV - not bad for a public site.

Plus I'm just saying there are many other options to Minonova, I usually get the TG/FG rips from the main site here.

I wasn't disagreeing about there being other sites out there. That's... well, obvious. I was disagreeing about having to rely on EZTV to release torrents rather than making and managing our own.

They are implementing an automatic filter, so it's probably just based on torrent and/or file names. You can just name the files some obscure name and it should dodge the detection.

They are implementing an automatic filter, so it's probably just based on torrent and/or file names. You can just name the files some obscure name and it should dodge the detection.

How do you know that? YouTube's system isn't like that, it actually somehow identifies the content based on some algorithm. So it's possible, even though Mininova probably doesn't have the same resources as YT. :p

lol, I doubt it.

Most likely it uses the built-in hashes. A torrent contains hashes for every single piece of what you download. Compare the hash of a file within the torrent, regardless of name, against a known list of hashes and you can easily remove stuff they don't want.

It is a bit silly of them though, if the banned all of the copyrighted stuff they really wouldn't have much of a site left.... or is that besides the point.

lol, I doubt it.

Most likely it uses the built-in hashes. A torrent contains hashes for every single piece of what you download. Compare the hash of a file within the torrent, regardless of name, against a known list of hashes and you can easily remove stuff they don't want.

Even then, if you add a useless .txt or .nfo files in the torrent, the hash will be different. This is not like YouTube where they can match sound or video signature. Also the torrents are screened by a third party company, they will probably have to go by a bunch of provided file names or hashes, so if your release is named obscurely from the start, it's harder for them to notice it and blacklist the hash.

If nothing else work, there's still TPB.

Last edited:
Even then, if you add a useless .txt or .nfo files in the torrent, the hash will be different.

Torrents don't work like that. Yes, the overall torrent has a hash used to identify the torrent to the tracker, but each 2-4MB (it varies) chunk of the torrent also has a hash. It's very easy to check those hashes for a matching set.

Only things like RAR/ZIP obscuring (making RAR's of unique size or content) would defeat it.

But as I said, this is really only an RIAA and even more so MPAA thing I believe. It doesn't apply to us. And even if it does, there's a million other solutions out there (other sites, hosting it ourselves, etc.). Stop worrying.

Also the torrents are screened by a third party company, they will probably have to go by a bunch of provided file names or hashes, so if your release is named obscurely from the start, it's harder for them to notice it and blacklist the hash.

Seriously, who would go to the trouble of writing and implementing a filename based filter? What an utter and complete waste of time.

These groups aren't morons.

Last edited:
I beg to differ- pussying out and implementing filters rather than fighting against corrupt companies? MORONS.

Problem is, those corrupt companies have the resources to push websites into endless trials which squeeze out of them every single penny that they DON'T have.

I beg to differ- pussying out and implementing filters rather than fighting against corrupt companies? MORONS.
I was referring to the groups implementing the filters who I assume are the MPAA/RIAA in this case (Mininova isn't behind the filter).

We're ditching Mininova ASAP.

Torrent uploaded successfully, added to queue
Your torrent has been uploaded succesfully. It will not appear immediately on the site, as the content will be downloaded first by a third party to check for infringing content. If the content is found to be non-infringing, the torrent will be posted on the site right away.

That was 20 minutes ago, and it still hasn't been approved. Unacceptable if we were trying to release Top Gear UK.