MLB '10 Postseason Thread

teletubby-warrior

Da Superfan
It's finally October! All the series are set and it's time for some postseason baseball. :D

ALDS

Yankees @ Twins
Rangers @ Rays

NLDS

Reds @ Phillies
Braves @ Giants

At this point, I can't see anyone from the NL taking out the Phillies. The Giants have the best shot, but everything would need to fall into place perfectly.

The Twins have a real chance of moving past NY. Pitching is a major question mark for both sides in that series.

it will be Rays vs Reds in the WS. Rays in 6

Go Twins or Rays! I have a feeling Philly is going to take it though.

At this point I'm on the Rays/Reds bandwaggon. I'm not a Philadelphia fan, but my dad lives there... so if that would fall into place, I could live with that. I want a Rays/Reds WS, Rays in 6.

ALCS will probably be fucking Yankees/Rays.

I guess I'll post this here... I am very excited about the ESPN 30 for 30 movie tonight. Seriously those 4 days in October are one of my greatest sports memories of all time. They are as cherished by me as the resulting World Series appearance and win... The only sports moment that eclipses them is getting to hold the final out ball from the 2004 World Series on my visit to Cooperstown.

no, philly has no chance this year
Could you please expand on that? You can't just drop by in October and claim the freaking Reds will make the WS only to lose to the Rays without any reasoning.

I guess I'll post this here... I am very excited about the ESPN 30 for 30 movie tonight. Seriously those 4 days in October are one of my greatest sports memories of all time. They are as cherished by me as the resulting World Series appearance and win... The only sports moment that eclipses them is getting to hold the final out ball from the 2004 World Series on my visit to Cooperstown.
It was pretty magical, if not slightly tainted. :p

One day... I shall experience it for myself. It will be glorious. :cry:

Last edited:
My theory goes as follows...Ortiz and Manny might have been juicing in '04, maybe even Nixon or Varitek. However they beat the Yankees in the ALCS who had Sheffield, Arod, Posada, Sierra, Matsui, and Giambi most likely on the juice. Then you have the Cardinals who weren't free from suspicion either with Rolen, Edmonds, and Larry Walker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Sox were the only ones. I just feel the era took away from so many accomplishments. Winning during those years wouldn't be as special to me... maybe... probably.

You missed a ton of pitchers in your list, btw. :(

Anyways:

Game 1. Halladay - Volquez
Game 2. Oswalt - Arroyo
Game 3. Hamels - Cueto

Wow. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Sox were the only ones. I just feel the era took away from so many accomplishments. Winning during those years wouldn't be as special to me... maybe... probably.

You missed a ton of pitchers in your list, btw. :(

I just say the playing field was even because ~50% of every team was on something. As for pitchers, in the Red Sox starting rotation I can only really suspect maybe Pedro as for the bullpen probably Embree, Timlin, and Foulke. As for the Yankees pitching staff in 2004...probably Mussina, Tom Gordon, Rivera, and Brown. I'm not as familiar with the 2004 Cardinals staff, but I'd say Suppan, Marquis, and I'm 1000% sure on Jason Isringhausen.

I deal with the steroid era by vilifying the obvious offenders like McGwire, Clemens, and Bonds and letting the others wash into the history books.

Thank you Giants for giving me something to watch this month because the Niners are not :|

I am a little scared at the fact our stating rotation looks like it will have pretty much nothing but guys with zero post season experience as Zito might even get left off the NLDS roster. I am a bit ok with the decision as I cant trust Zito in a short series, maybe you can use him in a 7 day series but not now. The current guess for starts are:

Game 1: Lincecum
Game 2: Cain
Game 3: Sanchez
Game 4: Bumgarner or Lincecum -- Interesting fact Bumgarner's has all of his wins away...

I mean that is a murderers' row of pitching but you wish someone who understand what it means to pitch in a big game could be on the roster even to come out of the bullpen. I remember Tim looking a bit shaky in his first start in a All Star Game (I think he hit the first hitter). But I cant complain with our starters.

Thank you Giants for giving me something to watch this month because the Niners are not :|

I am a little scared at the fact our stating rotation looks like it will have pretty much nothing but guys with zero post season experience as Zito might even get left off the NLDS roster. I am a bit ok with the decision as I cant trust Zito in a short series, maybe you can use him in a 7 day series but not now. The current guess for starts are:

Game 1: Lincecum
Game 2: Cain
Game 3: Sanchez
Game 4: Bumgarner or Lincecum -- Interesting fact Bumgarner's has all of his wins away...

I mean that is a murderers' row of pitching but you wish someone who understand what it means to pitch in a big game could be on the roster even to come out of the bullpen. I remember Tim looking a bit shaky in his first start in a All Star Game (I think he hit the first hitter). But I cant complain with our starters.
I'd be more worried about the lineup; don't worry about the pitching. Bumgarner won his last start at home, btw. :)

- Cliff Lee is a machine.
- The Phillies already scored on the Reds. :D

After listening to the Rangers game today...I'm going out on a limb and say the Rangers take it all... ALDS in 4, ALCS in 5 v. Yankees, and WS in 7 v. Phillies.

::Time to be mean to Teletubby-Warrior::...

Cubs continue to lose despite season ending last week...link :p

Baseball?s Most and Least Efficient Teams for the 2010 Season

Though the San Diego Padres came up one game shy of forcing a one-game playoff to earn a trip to the 2010 MLB postseason, the Padres management should feel pretty good about how efficient their ball club performed during the 2010 season.

Conversely, the Chicago Cubs and New York Mets organizations will have plenty to contemplate during the offseason.

Follow Me
SportsMoney
news on the business of sports

* Headline Grabs
* RSS Feed

vote
nowBuzz up!
0diggsdigg
127Share

Oct. 4 2010 - 11:16 am | 2,490 views | 0 recommendations | 2 comments
Baseball?s Most and Least Efficient Teams for the 2010 Season
Posted by Patrick Rishe
DENVER - APRIL 10: (L-R) Will Venable #25 of ...

Image by Getty Images North America via @daylife

Though the San Diego Padres came up one game shy of forcing a one-game playoff to earn a trip to the 2010 MLB postseason, the Padres management should feel pretty good about how efficient their ball club performed during the 2010 season.

Conversely, the Chicago Cubs and New York Mets organizations will have plenty to contemplate during the offseason.

With the conclusion of the MLB season on Sunday I estimate the ?payroll cost per win? in an effort to gauge which franchises got the greatest return on investments in players? salaries.

First, some preliminary numbers:

- The average payroll cost per win for MLB teams in 2010 was $1.1 million, and the median was $1.06 million;

- The San Diego Padres had the lowest payroll cost per win at $419,656 while the New York Yankees had the highest payroll cost per win at $2.17 million.

To gauge efficiency, I combine these cost figures with a practical albeit arbitrary win total to assess which clubs had the best and worst seasons from the practical standpoint of not only getting their money?s worth from player performance but also focusing on win totals.

The criteria for the ?most efficient? teams is combining low ?cost per win? with at least 87 wins (5 games above .500). Hence, the 5 most efficient teams from the 2010 MLB season are:

1) San Diego Padres (90 wins?$419,656 per win)

2) Texas Rangers (90 wins?$612,404 per win)

3) Tampa Bay Rays (96 wins?$748,688 per win)

4) Cincinnati Reds (91 wins?$795,072 per win)

5) Atlanta Braves (91 wins?$927,284 per win).

Honorable mention goes to the Toronto Blue Jays, the Minnesota Twins and the Colorado Rockies. The Blue Jays won 85 games in the incredibly tough American League East while paying $737,088 in payroll per win. The Twins and Rockies were the only other teams who had winning records and ?cost per win? figures below the league median. The Twins of course making the playoffs and securing the #2 seed in the American League playoffs while the Rockies were in the playoff hunt until the final week of the season.

The criteria for the ?least efficient? teams is combining high ?costs per win? with a non-winning season (i.e. 81 or fewer wins). By this criteria, the 5 least efficient teams from the 2010 MLB season are:

1) Chicago Cubs (75 wins?$1.96 million per win)

Nearly 2 million per win...that`s not very good...

Nothing new; that's what happens when you go all in and hand out awful contracts left and right. Luckily, the Cubs' farm is rapidly improving every year and there seems to be a new team philosophy. #9 pick this year. :D

Hello!?! :(

Goddamn, I love me some post-season baseball. The only real disappointment so far has been the Yankees/Twins series.

- Yankees' rotation comes up big and sweeps. Meh.
- Rangers/Rays series is going to be decided tomorrow (Lee-Price). Hell yes.
- The Giants/Braves continue to grind it out inning after inning. HELL YES.
- The Phillies absolutely destroyed the Reds. HELL TO THE YES.

I'm now even more confident that Philly is the best team in the game. SF baseball offends me, but I'd like to see the Giants move on simply for the NLCS pitching matchups:

Lincecum-Halladay
Cain-Oswalt
Sanchez-Hamels

:drool: