MMA anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punisher Bass

He who drives a Buick
Car(s)
98 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Are there enough MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fans around here to warrant some threads about recent and upcoming MMA events, or would I be wasting my time?

I watch it occasionally...

We've had a few MMA threads in the past, but they don't really get too many posts.

I watch it occasionally, but I've lost interest over the years.

This is the Sports forum, PB; not the barely legal streetfighting in a cage, masquerading as a legitimate sport... forum. :p

MMA is significantly safer than boxing. Fact. You see more cuts and other superficial damage than in boxing because of the light gloves and the ability to use elbows, etc, but you don't see nearly the rate of brain injury (or death, for that matter) that you see in boxing. Which would you rather have happen to you...one punch to the face, followed by a single-leg takedown and a submission by straight armbar, or 200 blows to the head over 12 rounds? Your brain prefers the former.

MMA, at least on the national and international scene, is not the uncontrolled spectacle that it was when it was first created (local and amateur tournaments can vary wildly in quality and talent). Watch someone like George St. Pierre or Lyoto Machida and you'll see some of the most strategic, technical competition you'll ever see in ANY martial sport.

Yes, I enjoy watching MMA, though I tend to watch reruns on Spike TV and the like instead of forking out money for pay per view.

Penny Arcade is always funny, even when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Obligatory GSP highlight video:

EDIT: To the original poster: Excited for the Machida v. Rua rematch? I've been waiting for that since the first. I'm a huge Machida fan, but Rua absolutely should have won by decision last time, and I'm interested to see what both guys have done in the interim to prepare for the rematch.

Last edited:
MMA is significantly safer than boxing. Fact. You see more cuts and other superficial damage than in boxing because of the light gloves and the ability to use elbows, etc, but you don't see nearly the rate of brain injury (or death, for that matter) that you see in boxing. Which would you rather have happen to you...one punch to the face, followed by a single-leg takedown and a submission by straight armbar, or 200 blows to the head over 12 rounds? Your brain prefers the former.

Yeah, and now we have James Tony who "ain't goin' to da ground". Put him in the cage with Roy Nelson and we'll see how well that plan works out.

Yes, I enjoy watching MMA, though I tend to watch reruns on Spike TV and the like instead of forking out money for pay per view.

I might be able to help you with this...

Penny Arcade is always funny, even when they have no idea what they're talking about.

Well to be totally fair...

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pu/punisherbass/2010/04/19/joe_son_dick_punched.gif

To the uninformed, this happened over 15 years ago when the UFC literally had NO rules, basically anything went save for ripping out eyeballs. The guy getting his dick punched there is Joe Son, he played Random Task in the first Austin Powers movie, he was last seen facing 230 or so years in prison for being part of a gang rape in 1990. Gotta love DNA evidence.

EDIT: To the original poster: Excited for the Machida v. Rua rematch? I've been waiting for that since the first. I'm a huge Machida fan, but Rua absolutely should have won by decision last time, and I'm interested to see what both guys have done in the interim to prepare for the rematch.

I didn't buy into the "Machida era" hype, Rua showed he's not untouchable. I don't expect it to be the same match again though, both guys are going to change up their game plans but I still expect Rua to walk away with the title he earned 104.

But the fight I'm most looking forward to is Lesnar vs Carwin. I can't wait to see Shane knock Brock's head off his shoulders.

6a84d11961c0c7fdd1e776567aaff5ff.gif

I didn't buy into the "Machida era" hype, Rua showed he's not untouchable. I don't expect it to be the same match again though, both guys are going to change up their game plans but I still expect Rua to walk away with the title he earned 104.

I think the "hype" was warranted. Before Rua, he went 15 professional fights without ever losing a single frickin' round (which NOBODY had ever done before), and did so with a stand-up game based primarily on JKA Shotokan karate, largely held in contempt in the MMA scene before he came around. Either Rua found his Achilles heel, or Machida was just off that night. I guess we'll find out when they rematch.

But the fight I'm most looking forward to is Lesnar vs Carwin. I can't wait to see Shane knock Brock's head off his shoulders.

I respect Lesnar's ground-game (though not his lack of sportsmanship), but I don't enjoy watching him, because I primarily like watching stand-up guys. Machida v. Evans and Machida v. Rua were the sorts of fights I like best.

Lesnar is very good on the ground, but no real standup. Carwin on the other hand is probably just as good on the ground and obviously has far superior striking, if you watch his fight with Mir you'll see it's improved since the Gonzaga fight.

I think the rest of the year is going to pan out like this. Carwin knocks out Lesnar, then follows it up with Velaquez in the fall, and maybe Do Santos after that. Meanwhile Mir vs Nog II should be booked for this summer, which I'd expect Mir to win again and allow him to get a third fight with Brock in the winter.

LOL! I doubt we'll be seeing Paul Daley in the Octagon again anytime soon.. Good event though, and hopefully we won't be seeing anything of Kimbo again!

edit. Kimbo has been axed from the UFC and Daley was given a permanent ban, as expected on both counts..

Last edited:
I thought they'd hang onto Kimbo for atleast one more fight, might as well ring as much cash out of him while they can. But still, his performance was totally pathetic, anytime he's been taken to the ground he looks like a spider that just got stomped on and has a single leg twitching. Let him go to japan to fight in freak shows with Bob Saap.

I've got my DVR set to record tonight's Strikeforce event, which is taking place right here in town, but the only match I really care about is the main event. I don't know which way it's going to go, but I'll only believe that Overeem really will finally defend his title when he's standing inside the cage.

Now hopefully Strikeforce will set up Fedor Vs Overeem for the belt, but I'm betting that Overeem will retreat back to Japan for a while, so that he can fight a few cans and cycle properly so the next time he goes backl to Strikeforce his system will be clean.

Also when does Jake Shields' contract expire? Looks pretty certain though that he's gonna sign a deal with Dana, if anything I think his style matches well with Anderson's.

Also 114 is coming up soon, who you guys picking in the main event?

I see it going two ways, Rashad wins by decision or Rampage by T/KO.... Most dependent on how motivated Rampage is though, if he comes in motivated and hungry, he should win, but if he's lazy in camp Rashad will use his speed to outpoint him over 3 rounds.

Jake shields contract expires soon, i remember him saying something about him not being able to talk to the ufc for another 2 weeks when he was on Inside MMA.

I think Rashad will take it by K.O. It seems like Rampage really doesn't wanna be there...

Rashad is a great fighter, but I honestly don't see him finishing Rampage. Rampage has one of the best chins in all of MMA. I hope that Rampage really hasn't lost the will to fight, cos he recently signed a 6 fight contract and I am a big fan of his and would like to see him make a run for the belt.

Wonder how a Shogun Vs Rampage rematch would go, Shogun brutalised him in their 2005 fight in PRIDE but Rampage has upped his game significantly since then.

Shields' contract is up middle of June I think, but it doesn't matter anyway, Coker has basically gift wrapped him for Dana White. I see him fighting sometime in the early fall in a tune up fight before getting a shot at GSP sometime in early 2011.

UFC 114: I have Evans beating Rampage by one way or another. Rampage is overrated and very unfocused in my opinion, Rashad was humbled by his loss to Machida and I see him playing this smart rather than trying to stand and bang with Quinton. I also give an automatic advantage to anyone who trains with Greg Jackson, save for Glass Jaw Jardine.

Rampage doesn't want to fight Machida as well. Says their fight won't be so entertaining or exciting to watch due to Machida's hit-and-run style. Better opponent for him now would be Forrest Griffin. My opinion: he's afraid of Machida.

There was quite a large article about Court McGee in a major Swedish newspaper.
I was surprised, MMA doesn't get much publicity here..

Holy shit! Just watched the event and I still can't believe it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.