Moab FG Offroad Jamboree May 4-8, 2020

Der Stig

is Der Slut
Car(s)
Furrin Crap
Since there were a few interested parties in BCS’s ZJ thread, I figured why not kick this off.

But Der Stig, it’s 2019! Well my GX isn’t ready and I don’t have any more vacation time :p

Not sure what the best time of year is, but I’m betting late Spring will probably be best.

Paging @Kiki @Blind_Io @BerserkerCatSplat @CraigB @Crazyjeeper @NotLaw

UPDATE: confirmed dates May 4-8, 2020

Last edited:
We are just a few hours away, as long as I can get the time off approved from work.
I recommend planning well in advance, hotels in Moab fill up quickly in the spring and can get very expensive. Also, be sure to check the dates for Jeep Safari and avoid that week; everything is full for an hour in every direction and the trails are just one big traffic jam.

Interested in passengering depending on when this is and flight costs.

Let's do this! My vote would be Spring (March - June) or Fall (late August through November). With the climate change, it's been warming up every year so we've been able to go earlier.

Hotels are pretty pricey in Moab these days during Spring/Fall, but we can also all rent out a condo too etc. I'm game for whichever. Happy to help arrange too.

If we can avoid Easter Jeep Safari (early or mid April), that would be nice.... though if we do it right after easter jeep safari, all the trails are freshly marked... which for a navigator like me is fan-fucking-tastic. Though I have reverse navigated different trails from good old trailbooks, so I've learned my lessons.

We've been down during CruiseMoab (late April - early May), and it wasn't as bad. The cruiser guys tended to stay in smaller groups and pulled over quite quickly.

We can always plan around not having trail armor, there are plenty of scenic trails that are not as difficult.

Yeah barring any big career changes I should have lots of vacation time banked, going to make a real trip of it. I'm fine with whatever time of year works for y'all.

If only I didn't have to get rid of the Jeep, I'd have been interested as hell. :(

Don’t need a Jeep to ride/spectate. I do wish I still had mine too though.

Or just get a rental. Just make sure to check the optional full coverage insurance when you pick it up at the airport.

For those without a 4x4: Do not rent a regular Jeep from the airport and take it off road! The rental contract will hold you responsible, regardless of the insurance. Side by sides, ATVs, and Jeeps that can go off road are available in town to rent. The Jeeps are usually Rubicon JKs or JLs with a lift, sliders, skids, and 33"-35" tires.

Also, I will have two seats in the Xterra for anyone who wants a ride.