Mobile Wifi Hotspot... Roll call

TGCDN

Car(s)
Buick Rendezvous, Dodge Dakota
Hey Everyone

I have a question to put forth to everyone. Who here has a Mobile Wifi Hotspot in their vehicle? Factory or aftermarket doesn't matter. I am thinking of semi- retiring my Rogers Rocket Hub from the house and semi-permanently wiring in my mobile office (aka the war wagon). What are you thoughts about doing something like this and does anyone have it ?

My phone has a built-in wireless hotspot feature. I think if I were to hardwire something like this into my car, it would be an Android tablet that can not only provide wi-fi, but also serve as a car radio/mp3 player/satnav.

Yeah my phone has a Wifi Hotspot feature so my family can use their iPads and Laptops during a road trip. It works pretty well too.

Don't have one built in, but I've actually tried the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone last night in the car. Predictably, the connection was quite slow, but good enough for email and reading the news.

My phone had the hotspot feature and it works well, although I've never used it in a car. I like the idea of using it as a media player but if you don't need that then you can buy routers that accept sim cards and will run from a 12V supply.

I too use my phone as a hotspot, but only as a last resort. AT&T's 3G is not so good, so it's often frustrating to use.

I too use my phone as a hotspot, but only as a last resort. AT&T's 3G is not so good, so it's often frustrating to use.

I know this is off topic, but is it true you yanks have to pay extra for tethering?

I know this is off topic, but is it true you yanks have to pay extra for tethering?

To answer your question some companies do charge extra and others don't. I'm with Rogers and tethering is no cost option on plans with 1GB/ month or more data, along with their sibling company Fido. I have a 6 GB Plan on my BB Torch and I tether it to my laptop away from the house. All the major carriers in Canada have a similar setup currently.

As per the US well I'm not 100% sure so I'll leave it to one of fellas from from below the 49th parallel to answer.

Yes, but I have a jailbroken iPhone with TetherMe, which enables tethering without paying the extra money, although there are reports of heavy users being told by AT&T that they need to start paying. It's worked fine for me whenever I've needed it.