Modding GTA IV: Access Denied

Homer_Bart

Car(s)
2007 BMW 320i
Hi there :)

First off, when I try to open vehicles.img using Spark IV or Open IV, I'll get an error message saying that access is denied. I have tried all the ways I could, but none worked. There are so many problems. Here's a list:

1. The files in the GTA IV folder are all Read-Only, while the vehicles.img file itself isn't. And I have even tried using "attrib -r" and "takeown /f" methods, but none worked.

2. I searched google, and many suggested running Spark IV/Open IV as admin, but still failed.

3. I have copied the vehicles.img folder out to the desktop away from its read-only folder and done steps 1 and 2 to it, but yet to no avail again.

I have been doing this for over 3 hours and nothing worked :(

Any help will be appreciated :D

Last edited:
Vista? Try turning off UAC. Vista doesn't like it when the "Program Files" folder is messed with, and complains multiple times when you try.

Yep, running on Vista SP2. I'm the only user, thus the admin, and have UAC turned off :)

Thanks for your input :)

I really just wish to get rid of the crappy handling cars out of the game asap, I can't complete my missions with cars that bounce around the corners yep? :p

Car handling is the best part of the game once you get used to it. It's extremely precise, and I assure you any mission can be completed with the keyboard.

If you are desperate enough try a Linux liveCD that can read and write NTFS. (Ubuntu?)

I really just wish to get rid of the crappy handling cars out of the game asap, I can't complete my missions with cars that bounce around the corners yep? :p

It can be completed on keyboard no problem, either your picking the wrong cars or doing something wrong. Most cars have a lot of body roll, but you can completely ignore it.

Hmm, you mean editing the handling folder? Maybe I'll try tweaking the settings in the game. and if not, tweak the handling folder :)

And that also means I can't add real cars into the game anymore?

Thanks lots for your replies :D