Motor Trend : BMW 3 series vs Cadillac ATS

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP

Strange that the 3-series won in the end despite the arguably equally bad transmission.
I hope they sell a decent amount of them here in Europe, would be a nice sight on the road between the hordes of 3-series and A4s.

From what I gather while the 3 series gearbox wasn't so good, the Caddy's was worse.

Nothing a mid-year refresh can't fix.

Am I the only one who finds that guy really annoying?

Anyway, surprised that he praises the steering and the chassis on the 328i. I've driven one briefly and I was really disappointed. Chassis isn't bad on a general level, but for example 1-series is much better. The F30 is much comfortable than the E90, but they lost quite a bit of body control at the same time too. There is too much body roll, especially during quick direction changes. It's not a car that's fun to push, as a "small" BMW should be. Current 1-series does that much better, maybe because it's lighter. Also, I've yet driven a single BMW with good electric steering (320d, 328i, 116d, 118i, Z4 35iS, 640d was okay because it's such a waftmobile), they've got unnatural weight and almost no feel. VAG does much better work with cheaper electronic steering hardware, and GT86 shows that EPS can be excellent.

I'd really love to try the ATS, but I'm pretty sure were never going to get it in Finland.

Last edited:
Same review, but this time by Car and Driver.

BMW won again, but funny how much different the review is from the MotorTrend one.