Motorcycle gear recommendations thread

So, went to Cycle Gear today, tried on a bunch of things, and more/less settled on the following:

All in stock and I get 15% off if I bring my MSF card. Likely to head back this coming week and actually pick it all up.

In addition to the above, I already have this:

New Enough is having a sale on the HJC RPS-10. So I picked one up for $200.

1552-911.jpg

My current CL-MAX is not Snell certified and I never put the face up so I thought I'd buy something a bit snazzier.

Last edited:
I just splurged a little on some gear.

I needed some new summer gloves, as the ones I'm using now are quite worn and never fit me right anyway.

So they will be replaced with some Cortech Adrenaline II's. Kangaroo leather palm, palm sliders, knuckle protection, and decently priced.

Adrenaline2RRpair.jpg

I've also been looking at getting some leathers for a while. With New Hampshire Motor Speedway just an hour away, the temptation to do a trackday is overwhelming. I had previously obtained a pair of leather Joe Rocket pants from a member on a local bike forum for $75, so I had since been on the lookout for a Joe Rocket Jacket to match. Was browsing Motorcycle-Gear's closeouts today and voila!

Default.jpg

Yeah, it looks a bit tacky and I would have preferred black, BUT SHIT IT WAS $99!

Dropping off the results of recent discussions in the GenMoto thread:

I'm getting ever closer to my evolutionary goal of moving to two wheels. To that end got two questions:
1) Are riding jeans/pants worth it? What I mean by that is do they provide enough protection or is it basically a gimmick?
2) What makes a riding boot? Would any type of steel/safety toe boot work or do they have extra armor?

Work safety shoes/boots often basically protect your toes from objects fallings onto your foot. What you want when riding a motorcycle is protection against your bike crushing your whole foot and ankle while that foot is sideways under the fallen bike. For that, get proper riding boots.

1) For me, riding pants are worth it.

Riding pants (not jeans) mainly protect from abrasion and impact. Technology has improved in these recent years that some textile pants have equal or even better protection than leather.

Riding jeans usually protect against impact with knee armor but denim usually lacks abrasion protection.

Full leather pants sometimes have knee and shin armor.

Also, good riding pants are high-waisted (so coupled with a good jacket, there will be no gap on your lower back).

From personal experience, you feel a LOT more of the road when you're in regular jeans. Raindrops, rocks, bugs start to hurt when they hit you when you're going 40+mph. But then again, I'm a fucking wimp so....

2) What DanRoM. Riding boots should have ankle protection/armor, which usually means full length boots or at least 3/4 length.

Proper gear is essential. As stated above, they protect from abrasion and impact. Riding in jeans and a t-shirt you're shit out of luck should you eat it. Regular clothes get destroyed in an instant and provide NO protection at all. Though I'll admit to Jeans and a T-shirt leaving work when it's hotter than hell.

I will admit I am guilty of occasionally riding around town with jeans on instead of my proper riding pants. Yes you feel bugs, raindrops, and debris hitting your legs. Yes I know that even in the slow speeds I ride at, if I go down, my knees/ass don't stand a chance against asphalt. No I do not recommend it.

I currently am rocking a pair of Sidi Vertigo's. Nice boots if anything a bit pricey ($300, still cheaper then ankle surgery). I lok for good ankle protection as well as a bit of shin protection. I also am a fan of boots that have that little plastic bit where the shifter meets so it doesn't wear through.

From what I understand riding jeans/pants (think cargo pants not legit riding pants) have kevlar inserts for protection, this is what I'm wondering about.
All my boots are pretty high but they only have toe protection.

That just offers some abrasion resistance, not impact. You really need both.

And yeah, modern riding boots provide a lot more protection than work boots. Work boots were equivalent back in the 70s, but it hasn't been the 1970s for a very long time...

That's pretty much what I thought on the pants. Got it on the boots, thanks!

Some 'riding jeans' also offer knee and hip pads/armor like regular riding pants or overpants. Many of us wear easy-on/off overpants when we're riding to work or a client, though, as you can wear what you want under them while still being fully protected on the road.

Riding boots can be had in easy-on/off forms as well - the Sidi Vertigos that are popular among members here are side zip and take just seconds to don or doff.

Ayup - boots are quite easy to slide on and off. The point with finding good gear is getting the stuff that's comfortable and something you *will* wear. Full track pants are great for protection but a bitch to take on and off (it's a two man job for mine). +1 to Spectre's suggestion of overpants - when I get some mo' mojo, I need to get myself a set. :)

Or you can also just invest in a one piece or two piece touring/over suit. Blind has a couple of which I'm insanely jealous - he wears whatever he wants underneath and then he just slips out of them when we get to a destination. :grr:

Der Stig has an Olympia Stealth oversuit that he seems to like quite a lot. I have a Teknic Sprint two piece set I use for less temperate days and I like that as well. :D

Yep I was thinking of overpants for when I inevitably take it to work and such, I been wearing lace up boots most of my adult life I can put em on and off in 10 seconds so thats not a big deal for me ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, I'm not sure if I will do one piece seems like it would be bulky to store.

- - - Updated - - -

You should throw those into gear recommendation thread if you haven't already, once I'm ready I'll be trawling it quite a bit ;)

Yup, I love my suit. No complaints other than it's not quite as ventilated as my Tourmaster/Bilt pants.

Lace-ups are usually not terribly protective. Keep in mind that most of the stuff that will be hitting the boot will be hitting the front of your calf, unlike with work boots, and you will want that surface to be unbroken so things like hot oil, stones, sharp pointy things and if you ride in all weather water and snow do not get in your boot. Also, the laces on the front are a weak spot in an accident and they tend to get caught on parts of the bike when you really would prefer they don't.

Most modern boots are using size zip, side velcro, or strap-type fastening systems.

Check out this review of the Sidi Vertigo boots a lot of us like: http://www.webbikeworld.com/sidi-boots/
Note the large armor panels on the upper part of the boot that face front. That is the most common strike zone while you're riding and you really do want to have something like that there or at least a continuous unbroken padded surface. My set of them has those panels all scratched up from stuff bouncing off them - and of course crashing them.

I'll copyquote all of the germane posts to this point into the gear thread.

Kiki has me considering an Arai Defiant to replace my Shoei RF-1000 that is past it's sell-by date.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kiki has me considering an Arai Defiant to replace my Shoei RF-1000 that is past it's sell-by date.

I have no experience with that model, but my Arai XD3 has been the best helmet I've ever worn. It's been with me through 8 states and all weathers and I still love it.

Downsides are the visor system isn't the easiest to change if you run more than one and, uh, it doesn't have air conditioning. :p

I would say in general the extra dollars you spend on an Arai are worth it for the quality.

I never change out visors, the only time they come off is when I'm cleaning it at home. I haven't seen many visor options for Arai, I haven't found a half-tint like I currently run on my RF-1000.

Oh that reminds me - a buddy of mine crashed on the track this weekend, and the knees blew out on his Scorpion suit (not sure which model). He had a little bit rash, but damn that sucks. :(

I just bought a new Arai RX-Q to replace my 4-year-old Arai Profile. I initially wanted to go for the Defiant but the shape just didn't suit my head - it feels more round than the oval of the Profile and RX-Q. The RX-Q is a slightly different shape to the Profile - less long oval, more medium oval.

I never had a problem with noise from the Profile and the RX-Q is the same. A friend who also bought an RX-Q remarked that it was a LOT quieter than the KBC that he had for the past few years.

Beware with Arai visors that there are 2 different types of visors, even though they look very similar. The visors from my old Profile don't fit the RX-Q :mad:.

Visors on Arai's can be fiddly to change at first but once you've worked out the mounting you can change them in about 10 seconds. I have the clear visor and a dark tint and just swap between them when I need to.

Hope that helps.

With all the touring I have planned, I'm thinking I need a better waterproof/cold weather glove. The problem I've found is that most the riding gloves for those conditions are absolute crap construction that won't protect you in a crash. It also doesn't help that almost all motorcycle gloves with a CE rating are tested as a work glove and not a motorcycle glove. I've been riding for years on a gloved called the Racer High-End, which is now out of production and replaced with newer designs. At the time, Racer was an unknown company that made about two or three patterns of glove. They were expensive and very hard to find in California due to the Kangaroo leather construction - which California apparently took issue with at some point. Their North American distributor was also crap.

Well, things have changed and Racer now has a whole line of gloves, including all-weather track gloves. So far my Racers have been the longest-lasting and most comfortable glove I have owned - well worth the price. They also seem to be one of the few companies that are making a decent armored all-weather glove. I'm considering this one to supplement my aging (but still serviceable) High-End gloves. I know they are not intended for temperatures below 40 F, but with the ST, I have almost no wind on my hands at all; on my last trip I rode through a cloud burst and only got a bit of spray on my helmet, from my boots to the bottom of my lid was completely dry.

Unearthing this one.

My brother bought a 2017 Yamaha FZ-09 (MT-09 to everyone outside USDM). For Christmas I want to get him a good set of saddle bags that will work for touring, 4 days at a time or so. I'm open to recommendations, I'd like to keep it in the $300-$400 range for the bags and mounting system.
It would also be nice if they didn't look dorky.

Edit: leaning towards this: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-...saddlebag-system-for-yamaha-fz-09-17-mt-09-18

Thought I'd write up a bit of a review of the gear I've been using since I restarted riding in late 2017.

Helmets

Bell Star Pace • I was pretty happy with the Bell I used to have (RS-1, I think), so I gave this one a go. It was pretty comfortable and reasonably light and quiet, and did its job fine when I headbutted the ground. I still have it, and might use it for karting and AutoX.

Shoei GT-Air • After destroying the above Bell, I initially wanted to get a Shoe RF-1200 with a photochromatic visor. I went to try it out, and found the GT-Air more comfortable, and the drop-down internal sun visor acceptable. It feels more comfortable than the Bell too, and I'd replace it with another in a heartbeat.

Jackets

AGV Sport Breeze • The jacket has been pretty solid, honestly. The hanger loop tore on one side, but otherwise it's been great. I scuffed it when I crashed, but nothing actually broke, so I still wear it. I replaced the included foam back protector with a Forcefield Isolator 2 back protector.

HWK • You really do get what you pay for; don't buy this. Temporary insanity made me do it.

Gloves

Oxford RP-1 • I guess you get what you pay for? These were fine for a little while, but started fraying and detaching at seams in places after just a few months of use.

Rev'It Cayenne Pro • Awesome gloves, love them. The short cuff fits nicely under the sleeves of my jacket, making for a great daily combo. I've worn these for far more miles, and expect many more to go.

Pants

Lean Angle jeans • These were @DaHitch's recommendation, and they're pretty good. I like that they've got the protective liner everywhere, instead of just the likeliest impact areas. I love the comfort liner, and how warm they are in the winter. The hip and knee armor definitely absorbed some of the impact when I crashed. I don't like how ridiculously hot they are when it's over 68ºF, the fact that they have too few belt loops, and the extremely relaxed fit. The denim ripped a bit in my crash, but I still wear and trust them.

Bilt overpants • I got these as a temporary solution to this past summer's record heat, and was wearing them over shorts so both the ride and changing would be easier and more comfortable. They're OK, but I'm not such a huge fan. If I decide I want to wear overpants more, I'm likely to get a nicer pair from a better brand.

Boots/shoes

Sidi Vertigo • I love these boots! They actually fit me well, unlike all previous attempts, and feel great on the bike. Off the bike they're not all that fantastic, but that's to be expected. I've relegated them to rides including very little walking, but am really glad to have them. The left one saved my ankle when I threw my bike onto it.

TCX Street Ace Air • These shoes are stellar. I wear them the vast majority of the time, as I can spend the whole work day in them without significant annoyance. They feel great for riding and are certainly far more protective than regular sneakers, so I trust them enough not to worry too much.

Miscellaneous

Cortech Super 2.0 18-Liter Magnetic Tank Bag • This bag has been great! I didn't want to mess with straps, so I opted for the magnetic version and have no regrets. It expands to be pretty huge and can be worn as a backpack as well. I might not use it with my next bike if I get worried about scratching the tank (cover), but otherwise it's fantastic.

Sena Prism Tube helmet cam • I quite like the camera. I only use it as a safety/insurance device, so I don't really care if it's a good action cam or not, but it's shape means I never feel it on the helmet, which is great. I always ride with it.

Sena 30K communicator • I just got this thing a month ago, and it's pretty nice. Having music and directions is handy, and I've used it as a communicator only once with no problems.

Ram X-Grip phone mount • The mount itself was excellent. My phone stayed in when I crashed, with the charging cable going to my jacket pocket unplugged. It's incredibly reliable. I'm just not a fan of having the phone mounted at all any longer, so I took it off.

Kryptonite Keeper 5s Yelow disc lock • I used to use the lock a lot more, since my old parking spot was just behind the building, but fully accessible. Nowadays I don't really ever use it, but would if I were leaving the bike somewhere sketchy. I'll get an alarm-equipped replacement for my next bike.