Motorcyclists, assemble! I have a few questions about Ducatis.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DÖNER
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
So, I had a little nice surprise today. I was browsing the used motorcycle ads, checking the prices for the Honda Hornet 600 (or 599, depending where you live) and in a "whatever, I'm just looking" moment, I decided to see how much would it cost to own a Ducati, so of course I looked for the cheapest one available, the 2007 Monster 695.
Turns out the Ducati is cheaper. Not only the motorcycle itself, but a few common parts too. Insurance is cheaper, because Hondas get stolen a lot.
Huh. When new, the Ducati was a good 15% more expensive, and now it's around 10% cheaper. Is there anything wrong with those new Ducatis?
The same year Hornet has carbs, while the Monster has fuel injection. I love the noise of an inline-4, but I can live with a nice V-twin. :p
I know the Honda has around 23hp more, but I imagine the higher torque of the Monster might make it better for all-around riding, and the Monster's handling and riding position has a cult following that is probably as big as the Miata.
So, if I had the money, would it be a sensible choice?

Extra question: is a 749 too much bike for someone who hasn't been riding for 9 years and had a Suzuki Katana 750 before that? I just found it can be had for a little more than the Hornet...

Take the following with a large grain of salt, because I am by no means a Ducati expert.
But I would look into the maintenance costs you'd have to expect. From what I remember from a friend with a Monster it uses a timing belt that needs to be serviced regularily. And if it has desmodromic valves, those are supposedly a good bit more maintenance intensive than "normal" valves, too.
As I said, not an expert, but that might be a reason why it goes for less money. :dunno:

Take the following with a large grain of salt, because I am by no means a Ducati expert.
But I would look into the maintenance costs you'd have to expect. From what I remember from a friend with a Monster it uses a timing belt that needs to be serviced regularily. And if it has desmodromic valves, those are supposedly a good bit more maintenance intensive than "normal" valves, too.
As I said, not an expert, but that might be a reason why it goes for less money. :dunno:

I think pretty much ALL Ducatis have it. :lol:

And yes, I know the desmo system can be a pain, but AFAIK, the running costs of modern Ducatis (if the magazines I read are anywhere honest) might be a bit higher than a japanese motorcycle but nothing too expensive.

I should page Kiki.

I have personal experience with pretty much every version of the Monster and I can tell you that you absolutely should not be afraid of Ducati ownership. A well maintained Ducati doesn't cause any more problems that other brands. They do need to replace the belts every 2 years/24.000km + the valves need to be checked every 12.000km.

Find one with service history and all 3 keys, 2 black and 1 red + code card, the red is essential!

You seem like a mature person so a 749 is not too much, try both to see which is more comfortable for your needs.

Thank you! Ducatis are rare here, so they're usually well maintained.

Which 749 is it? Dark, base, or S? (There is also the higher spec R version, but I'm assuming that's out of your budget.)

If it's a 2004 and up S model, it'll share the head design with the R, in that it uses special tapered collets. If the valves need adjustment, the heads will need to come off, and they require a special tool to remove the shims without damaging the valves. Ergo, you need to bring the bike/cylinder heads to a dealer. (There is a post on ducati.ms detailing a DIY method, though it's not easy.) 2003 S models, and all Base and Dark models have a different collet design that makes them easier to service.

As for the different versions...

Dark: The cheapest version, and hence the lowest spec. Lower quality Sachs shock. No steering damper. Fixed steering rake angle. Matte black only.

Base: Has a better quality Showa shock, otherwise mechanically similar to the Dark. Not sure if it has the adjustable rake angle.

S: More powerful engine. Slightly higher spec forks (Now have a TiN coating on the stanchions.) Adjustable rake angle. 2003 is the least powerful year, 2004 and up get a more powerful motor but also the issue I detailed above.

R: WSS homologation special. Unique engine with a more oversquare bore/stroke ratio, titanium conrods, and other goodies. Ohlins front and rear suspension. Radial brake calipers. Forged alu wheels. Slipper clutch.

Ducati.ms and ducati.org are both good resources (the latter also has a dedicated 999/749 board.)

Ask local enthusiasts how is the Ducati ownership experience.

Much like some German car brands, it seems like some Ducati don't like the American experience.

A guy I know went through hell with is "R" model, electrical issues that the dealer was never able to fix.

I should page Kiki.

Ack, I just saw this thread. Good question - on the modern monsters, they've really spread out the service intervals. I was expecting a crap ton of maintenance, but according to my 696's manual, I'm not supposed to get my next oil change until 7500 miles. :? I bought the bike at 3k miles.

A lot of our riding friends here in SLC own various Ducatis - a well maintained bike is key. Monsters are very easy to work on (no flimsy plastics or anything) and the overall consensus is that they're designed with the mechanic in mind.

Only bad thing I can say about my Ducati is that the suspension is not as good as I thought it would be. If your over 180lbs, the bike really doesn't handle you well, but that's most motorcycles I think. I'm about 240-250lbs with all my gear on and I have too set my spring at the stiffest setting; two-up is out of the question. Probably the one reason I'm thinking of trading up atm, which would be a huge financial loss to me.

Edit: One other thing I would consider is what type of material the fuel tank is made out of. When buying a bike here in the US where we have Biofuels I did look into that. Not sure if Brazil's biofuel's are better, but some Ducati's or other bike's might have nylon which will get eaten by some biofuels. 695 Might have a metal tank so that would be good maybe.

Last edited:
Only bad thing I can say about my Ducati is that the suspension is not as good as I thought it would be. If your over 180lbs, the bike really doesn't handle you well, but that's most motorcycles I think. I'm about 240-250lbs with all my gear on and I have too set my spring at the stiffest setting; two-up is out of the question. Probably the one reason I'm thinking of trading up atm, which would be a huge financial loss to me.

Edit: One other thing I would consider is what type of material the fuel tank is made out of. When buying a bike here in the US where we have Biofuels I did look into that. Not sure if Brazil's biofuel's are better, but some Ducati's or other bike's might have nylon which will get eaten by some biofuels. 695 Might have a metal tank so that would be good maybe.

Thank you. :)