MSN doesn't shut up.

swek

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
Had a bicycle once.
Okay, here's the deal. I pretty much run my PC 24/7 but lately I found out that MSN (The one that comes with XP) seems to run in the backround all the time even when I killed it from the task bar.

It's pretty annoying coming home seeing chat windows opened by friends who thought you were home or getting the message sound when you're doing something else and don't want to be bothered.

I checked back with a mate of mine and he told me that I'm marked as on in his list as well. My question is how I can stop MSN from doing this ?

I removed one file of the messenger that needs to be there to run it, so it you delete some files (I think you cant remove it completely some how) it wont run again.

Jostyrostelli said:
I removed one file of the messenger that needs to be there to run it, so it you delete some files (I think you cant remove it completely some how) it wont run again.

I want to run MSN, just not all the time. If I wanted to remove it I would use XP anti spy. Thanks for the help though.

Why can't you change your status to "away" or "show as not logged on"?

How can I change my status if the damn thing isn't even running ? I'm haunted. :(

maybe it helps if you open the one that came with windows, go to options and unselect "run when windows starts". so you'll still be able to use the msn messenger

i know exactly what you mean.

Kill messenger with the task manager.
start -> run, then paste the following line, and hit enter after that.

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

bone said:
maybe it helps if you open the one that came with windows, go to options and unselect "run when windows starts". so you'll still be able to use the msn messenger

Thanks, it wasn't the one you suggested but I unchecked the "Run in background button" which can be found there. Seems like it's inactive when I want it to be now.

//Edit: Where's the difference between what I did and the kill process you suggested Bigfoot ?

yeh those are separate things althogh I cant find MSN in the service list. Mybe MSN is else where coz I am sure I disabled it somehow.

Are you talking about Windows Messenger or MSN?

MSN, as has been mentioned, you just go to the option and set it not to start automatically.

Windows Messenger, which is built into Windows XP, can be removed, and really should be if you are using MSN, by going to:

Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components

And un-ticking Windows Messenger. This will remove it from Windows.

Is this what you mean? :?

Janus said:
Are you talking about Windows Messenger or MSN?

MSN, as has been mentioned, you just go to the option and set it not to start automatically.

Windows Messenger, which is built into Windows XP, can be removed, and really should be if you are using MSN, by going to:

Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components

And un-ticking Windows Messenger. This will remove it from Windows.

Is this what you mean? :?

Yes, it's that. Although that doesn't do the trick all the times...

He still uses Messenger Service, or at least a version that doesn't allow pictures.
Swek, run that code Bigfoot posted and then install MSN 7.