Must have apps for a smart TV

GRtak

Forum Addict
I am getting my Mom into the smart TV on her new TV and she is complaining about the lack of good stuff to watch. I only have a few apps on it and I am looking for some more that are good. Any advice or opinion are appreciated.

It runs WebOS if that makes a difference.

Netflix? Hulu? Amazon if you or her have Prime? Plex? I bought my mom a Roku and hooked it up to both my Plex and Amazon Prime accounts.

On a side note, I've never understood the appeal of smart TVs. Any built-in OS is going to be long out of date by the time I go to replace my TV. I'd much rather buy an Amazon Fire TV Stick or Roku that I can upgrade independently of the TV. They're so cheap.

Last edited:
This was bought for simplicity as my mom is technophobic and refuses to use anything that requires switching inputs. But this is a button push away and she is using crackle. Go figure. :dunno:

Youtube, I love using the (phone app/any device really) to send videos to the TV.

This was bought for simplicity as my mom is technophobic and refuses to use anything that requires switching inputs. But this is a button push away and she is using crackle. Go figure. :dunno:

Fair enough.

It came setup with the Youtubes. She doesn't get into all the viral webness from other sources so she doesn't know what to look for.

On a side note, I've never understood the appeal of smart TVs.

I just used a gorgeous new samsung. The netflix UI looks nice, but using it is a bit terrible, mainly typing into it. The remote needs a qwerty with proper clicky plastic buttons.

-Pandora
-HBO Go
Last edited:
I'd much rather buy an Amazon Fire TV Stick or Roku that I can upgrade independently of the TV. They're so cheap.

hasn't anyone ever released a HDMI-android stick?
with integrated wifi receiver and SD slot?
i would like that...

I am getting my Mom into the smart TV on her new TV and she is complaining about the lack of good stuff to watch. I only have a few apps on it and I am looking for some more that are good. Any advice or opinion are appreciated.

It runs WebOS if that makes a difference.

WebOS...mmmm... :D

As far as I can tell, LG's implementation of WebOS won't let you run stuff designed for the HP/Palm phones and tablets. Probably not a bad thing. Haha.

A lot of apps for smart TVs are cross platform.

I'd show her Pandora, Netflix, Crackle, amazon instant video, etc.

Sadly, she has stopped using it. Every once in a while I will pop a show on Crackle and we watch it together, but she doesn't like using it for some reason. I think her eyesight has really started to degrade and she can't see the text in the descriptions... There isn't even an option that I can find that will let me adjust it, and I have to get up and close to the TV to read some of them.

I just used a gorgeous new samsung. The netflix UI looks nice, but using it is a bit terrible, mainly typing into it. The remote needs a qwerty with proper clicky plastic buttons.

The same problem exists with the Roku. Searching is a pain in the ass, and each app has a separate "path" to the search function. One app, you press the "*" button and select search. On another, you have to hit "up" on the direction keypad a few times until the option comes up. On another you have to be on the right horizontal like of thumbnails, then scroll right until you get to the correct "slide". Then once you get there, some apps just have A-Z on one line, on another it's a 6x6 A-Z, then on another it's a Qwerty keyboard, etc.