MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
And I've seen quotes on Miata.net for $2k or so while looking around today.

My wife and I are looking to get our 90 painted/wrapped. We were quoted like $2k for a wrap and $3-4k for a paint job. Yes, its double the money, but when you are in for $2k, putting up another $1k for actual paint seems way better. The way I'm rationalizing it is that we get a major paint job every 10-15 years, so based on that, a paint job job for $4k seems a better value. I think my car has the original paint on it still.

MX5/Miata Thread

I like your color choices but a decent wrap costs several thousand dollars and lasts what, 2-3 years?

My company wraps the service trucks in yellow and white. Lasts about 4-5 years. At that point, there's a dark film of dirt that doesn't come off with normal washing, going by hand with a 50-50 mix of Simple Green clears it up. The yellow does bleach out a little but nothing too horrible.

Theres a guy at work that wrapped his NA in lime green. I don't know how much he drives the car since I work in a different building, but I've been seeing it around periodically for the last 5 years - still looks good. I did think about wrapping mine a while back and got quotes ranging from $2k to $5k depending on the type of material used. I'm guessing the cheaper stuff would crack/fade sooner.

Also this! :drool:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/1990-rallycross-miata/6242306081.html

MX5/Miata Thread

I'd love to get a Ford liquid blue wrap on anything.

So, I'm in the market for an MX-5 now, finally :) Have read through the last couple pages here, especially the advice given to EyeMWing is quite relevant, since I'm looking for a similar car. The overall idea is:

- NC or very late NB
- manual (even though I prefer autos in general, for the MX-5 it just doesn't make sense)
- Around 10k?
- AC would be nice, since it'll be a daily driver for at least a year.

Currently looking at some 2.0 NCs at around that price point. Any input for someone who's just starting his research?

Depending on how cold and snowy Hessian winters are and whether you can park in a garage overnight, you might want to concentrate your search on the retractable hard-top version of the NC, like the one WDWBen has. I personally wouldn't bother, though.

I have an underground garage spot at my apartment and at work, so that isn't an issue. Thanks for the hint though, I wasn't even aware that retractable hardtops existed before the ND.

Some of the cars I've seen so far come with the removable hardtop. I assume those still have a normal softtop underneath and the hardtop is extra? Or are there versions without a retractable roof, with the removable hardtop only?

Yeah, the softtop should be underneath the hardtop.

Try to find a 2.0 version, not the 1.8 if you're going for an NC. :)

The NC did have an optional PRHT - power retractable hard top - and no soft top.

Every NB had a soft top, as well as an optional one-piece hard top that, when removed, has to be stored somewhere (i.e. completely off the car). When installing the hard top, the soft top has to be folded down (the same way you would normally lower it), or removed completely (unnecessary). I had a hard top I installed for several years in the winter.

How hard is it to install those afterwards?
Also: good luck!
I'm not sure about the xenon lights, but the LSD is not a major concern (IMO). The car is basically fine without it - it'll oversteer more when on power, but not in any sort of difficult-to-manage way. Should it be wanted, the LSD can be added aftermarket reasonably. Buying one can be annoyingly costly, though, and I don't know what T?V considers acceptable.

Correction, LSD is actually listed, just very well hidden in the description. Lights are definitely stock halogen though. I probably won't bother - though I would like to have them, retrofitting xenons will probably be rather expensive and not really worth it. My C-class didn't have any either, at some point I just installed Osram Unlimited bulbs and was reasonably happy with them until I got rid of it.

Correction, LSD is actually listed, just very well hidden in the description. Lights are definitely stock halogen though. I probably won't bother - though I would like to have them, retrofitting xenons will probably be rather expensive and not really worth it. My C-class didn't have any either, at some point I just installed Osram Unlimited bulbs and was reasonably happy with them until I got rid of it.

Ah, even better.

I'm not sure about the xenon lights, but the LSD is not a major concern (IMO). The car is basically fine without it - it'll oversteer more when on power, but not in any sort of difficult-to-manage way. Should it be wanted, the LSD can be added aftermarket reasonably. Buying one can be annoyingly costly, though, and I don't know what T?V considers acceptable.

Take this without offense but I honestly think driving an MX-5 without LSD isn't fun at all when pushing and in drifting situations, not kidding, can actually be dangerous.

In some situations you will get a one tyre fire, on others the back will step out so much that's it upright dangerously sideways in a very uncontrolled and twitchy manner - to a point where I'd even say that any MX-5 should have an LSD because if the backend steps out unwanted in some weird conditions, you're much, muuuch better with an LSD in catching the car. Even goes for people who don't know what oversteer is. Even if it is a very communicative car.

At least in my opinion...

Also afaik all 2.0 NC in Germany had an LSD

Last edited: