My 1984 Ford Mustang SVO and tow rig...

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Nissan Frontier Pro-4X & Altima
Got I back together, I should have replaced the countershaft due to wear, but it'll work for now, just a little noisy. After got back in it I remember why I liked driving it the first place. Lots of power, the turbo whistle, etc...

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Thanks!

Here's a couple of new pics...

C3Vette

I'm not the biggest fan of mustangs from that generation, but i have to admit, that's one good looking ride !

72SSAbody

Car(s)
Terminator, Chevelle, SVO, Fox Mustang, 1125R & X1
I'm really jealous of your SVO. I've wanted one forever. Yours would look good next to my terminator in the driveway (hint, hint).

There is one on craigslist down in Wichita I've been drooling over. Keeping my fingers crossed to someday own one!

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Thanks man! :D No plans to sell it though. I believe the one on Craigslist in Wichita is gone (a friend of mine was looking for one and called on it). There is an '84 9W (like mine) in OKC for $3,000 with IRS and a bunch of extra parts...

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
Lima ftw!!

Have to love the tremendous torque (and diesel like sound) of a under-square motor.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Yep, they do have a unique sound. With a bigger cam and a few other things this year I hope to get 250 rwhp and 300 "torques"...

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
More photos!

tigger

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'88 Vic Wagon, '92 Honda VFR
So that's where the new sig came from. That really is a neat little Mustang, I'll jump in with everyone else and admit my jealousy. :D

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)

Demon_X

Car(s)
2004 Lexus IS300
I'm from the midwest, Illinois to be exact..where da hell do u find these things?

craigslist? friends? i go on craigslist all the time and i don't see one..especially the one i really want..an SVO

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
I bought mine from a friend, but they are always popping up on Craigslist, eBay or check www.turboford.org or www.svoca.com. There was a rare '86 T-top in Chicago that just sold sorta cheap from Craigslist. I use www.craigshelper.com to search multiple cities at one time...

72SSAbody

Car(s)
Terminator, Chevelle, SVO, Fox Mustang, 1125R & X1
Craig,
If you want to sell yours, please PM me. I'm in the market to grab an SVO.

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Probably not going to sell it. There was a '84 9W like mine on the Oklahoma City Craigslist for $3000 with an IRS and a bunch of extra parts. Not sure if it's still there...

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Ended up having to put a different transmission in the car. The old one decided to go ahead and eat the front bearing on the countershaft. Ended up with a world class T-5 from a N/A 4-banger coupe. Surprisingly rated higher than the old NWC that was in my car.

Being that the old girl was running pretty good I took it to the track with me on Sunday and decided to up the boost after a couple of runs (set it just a hair under 25 psi, up from my usual 22). That was a bad idea. Ran it once, had a little detonation, still ran a 14.01 @ 98. Decided a little 110 would take care of the detonation. Wrong. As I shifted into fourth after the 1/8 mile it started to detonate badly, but before I could let out, BOOM. I knew immediately I had blown the head gasket. Looked behind me to see a cloud of spent coolant. Pulled over and brought the car to a stop (to minimize cleanup). Oh well, live and learn... :lol:

BTW, it was the #4 that let go, #3 was egg shaped and wasn't far from going.

It does piss me off that again I was so close to a 13, but it still eludes me... :D

Last edited:

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Twelve words: Blowing the head gasket keeps from blowing something in the bottom end. :lol:

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Well it's back together and running like a top. I wonder what will break next...