Ownership Verified: My 1984 Ford Mustang SVO and tow rig...

I've got to be honest. Those new wheels are horrible. Go back to the ones in your sig or something.

Love the fatties and skinnes. Aesthetics be damned, functionality > all.

(for the record, I love the way Weld Draglites look)

The previous ones are nicer , but the Weld?s are badass if you know what they?re all about.

Craig, the SVO looks great!

I've gotta ask you a few questions. I need to order a Kirban fuel pressure regulator. Can't seem to find anyone that sells them. Are they the same as the 5.0 units?

Also, my 40 Bob log header is cracked. Any ideas on a replacement? I wonder if he'll warranty this sucker?

If you remember my setup for my SVO I think this car should run better in the 1/4 mile than its last outing of low 15 second ET's. Granted I'm use to my time slips of my terminator. This thing is a weird one to launch with its lack of low end torque!

Kirban is the same for the 2.3 as the 5.0, that's what I'm running. Bob might warranty that thing, I remember there where some crack prone ones.

My friend who drove my car also said the same thing about launching these things, he's use to a blown 302 Fox. My best 60's come from slipping the clutch from 3,500 to 4,000 rpm. I've got a 6AL and a 2-step to install soon. Really looking forward to that... :D

Man it's amazing what a light car can do with some horsepower. Gratz!

Can you explain to me how a two-step works?

It's my understanding that it has 2 separate rev limiters... one for redline and one for launching... is that right? And how much do these cost and how hard are they to put in? I'm guessing you have to buy a special ignition box for it? I'm not really too up to speed on that sort of thing yet... but as hard as it can be to launch a manual sometimes I wish I had one. Although I think it would just lead to me blowing up my rear end. I wasn't blessed with the 9 inch, unfortunately. :(

Also I dig the wheels. Functional parts always look good even though I hate the fatties/skinnies look. I'm more into teh road racing look. but something about a car with fatties and skinnies, espcially ones that fit the car... it just makes it look MEAN as hell.

Do you roll the other wheels when you're not at the strip?

Last edited:
You've pretty much got the 2-step down pat, just need a switch to turn it on and off. On a stick it's usually the clutch switch. They aren't to hard to put in, but sometimes you need an adapter for the factory tach. As for cost? All told with the ignition box, 2-step and a tach adapter you'll be pretty close to $300. I'm honestly thinking about just saving my pennies and going for a Mega Squirt setup.

That being said, I've been launching the car off of the rev limiter to get these times, sometimes it'll bog doing that...

I do have a set of 17" '96-'97 Cobra wheels, I'll be putting them back on for an autocross event coming up on the 27th (if I can get the day off).

Here's what they look like on the car:

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2009/03/08/me_1.jpg

The Cobra wheels are jsut about a perfect match for the car :)

The car has now run a 13.21 @ 100 with a 1.72 60', backed up that with another 13.22 @ 100 with a 1.69 60'. I was trying something new and the car felt down on power, but if I could get the 1.69 60' with the 102 mph from a few weeks ago I could possibly be in the 12s.

Either way, I put the regular radials back on and went to a local auto-x this weekend. I had a ton of fun, but I didn't do very well. Placed 4th out of 5th in my class (Street Modified). Granted it was only my 2nd auto-x and the other cars in my class have much better sorted suspension and tires.

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2009/09/29/svo_autox1.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/craigb/2009/09/29/svo_autox2.jpg

Reactions: TC