Ownership Verified: My 1990 Ford Sierra CVH

:D Oh my public, what have you done? :p

Looks really solid apart from the dents. Nice find!

The most positive surprise has been the turning circle. Despite the non-assisted steering, it's a joy to park.

That cambelt is barely older than I am.

Congrats on yet another excellently mediocre purchase! What does CVH stand for, anyways?

Maroon 90's Ford. Cannot disagree with that, congrats again!

They are the ones the Sierra received in the 1990 facelift, along with the new dash.

Incorrect!

The first dash facelift came with the introduction of the mk 2 Sierra in '87, it was later facelifted again in '92 along with some exterior bits. :)

Anyway, looks to be in extremely nice condition, make a list of the spare parts you need and I'll see what I can dig up :)

Alright, how difficult is it to drain the tank? :p

I drove to the garage tonight to try on the Saab wheels. I jacked up the car and put on the driver's side wheels; having lowered it back down I went to start it. I only got some very stammering idle with a refusal to respond to throttle, then it died. Following attempts to start it just got the starter cranking, and it would've done that for days on end but not catch. So, at least the starter's fine, and I checked the cam belt again to make sure it didn't just snap on me.

I put some 12 litres of fuel in the tank yesterday, and I believe there has to be water or sludge in the tank after prolonged sitting; water is actually quite likely at this point. Jacking up the car probably mixed the low amount of fuel with some indigestible matter or fluid, and now it just won't go. I swapped on the rest of the wheels, locked the car and walked back home in the rain for a hour and a half with no phone battery. Have to drive back with a jerry can of fuel and see if I can dilute the cack.

On the plus side, I now know the Saab wheels fit it pretty decently and I also found a hubcap I had lost last night.

I have done no such thing. It's also beyond my knowledge.

Gotcha. Still, the unclean fuel tank is what I'd most strongly suspect.

Draining a tank is easy.. You need a hose (no. Not hoes), some sucky sucky and a catch can. Be sure to swallow some fuel in the process.

Draining a tank is easy.. You need a hose (no. Not hoes), some sucky sucky and a catch can. Be sure to swallow some fuel in the process.

I would suggest a handpump. Doing it with your mouth is unbearable and leaves a terrible taste. Also, please disregard the unfortunate double entendres.

1320-SYP001.jpg

Also also: having drained the tank, I would change the fuel filter too.

Last edited:
I already did order the filter when I got the rest of the parts on Tuesday. But yeah, isn't there just a drainhole in the bottom?