Ownership Verified: My 1990 Peugeot 205 XS

Why the hell did you show the pic with the hubcaps? :blink: :D

That's very cheap, but the lack of power will get you eventually. - Is this actually your runabout for the next 12 months?

Last edited:
That hose is redirecting warm air from around the exhaust manifold into the intake, making the engine run smoother at low temperatures. Or that is the general idea atleast.

Oh right. So basically an ok-idea to have it fixed before winter comes.

Yes, that's the idea but I'm not sure if it actually helps a whole lot. My old car had a similar hose, but it also had a cone air filter so the hose was pointing at...basically nothing. Never had problems in the winter with cold starts even when it got to -10C. If it gets lower than that, then I don't know.

The dream of the 90s is alive in Portland Finland!

As far as i remember, only french cars/peugeots had that pipe thing. I remember my fathers 405 and 505 having this aswell.

Having a pipe direct hot air to the carb(s) is common on older cars. All the carb cars I've had and driven have had that.

Nice, not-so-obvious choice as a car that's going to be truly jamesmayed. Kind of like this one better than the other alternatives mentioned at starting post.

Approved!

edit: actually I just remebered that I had that hot air pipe thingie in my mk1 Sierra. In that you were supposed to turn that onto the hot stuff for wintertime and away from it in the summer. And if I remember correctly, it really did heat up a lot quicker on temperatures under -20 celsius. Bad side was, that the engine would heat up too much, if you forgot to turn the pipe on hot weather.

Last edited:
SFgA5x9.jpg

Here is the eBay engine bay. Needs all kinds of cleaning and the camcover gasket appears to seep a bit, but that's expected.

You know, it's not registered as a low emissions vehicle. That means no one cares what's inside the engine bay. And I happen to have one, which would fit there really nicely... :p

Anyway, DON'T SELL IT BEFORE I CAN TRASH...um... have a jolly nice sunday drive to church with it. I kinda expect that to be more fun than the last BMW I drove...

Sweeeeeet little car - :clarkson: :D

Should be a fun, practical little car year round. :)

For a while I thought you referred to the E34.. :p

Oh, I made a mistake. Of course your E34 is the last BMW I've driven, but I didn't mean that. Last new BMW is what I meant :)

HVY847w.jpg

Confessed at the MoT office that, yes, the car belongs to me, and now it's under my name and insured. Ordered new plates with the same registration to freshen up the appearance, and yesterday I picked up all the necessary polishing products from the barn where I waxed the E34 last so I'm ready to spruce up the 205.

That's very cheap, but the lack of power will get you eventually.
I managed 5 years nicely with half the power and same weight. I bet its a hoot to drive with that much power.

It's ridiculously good fun. I don't think it's lacking power at all.

What it does need is a new set of correct foglights, the black plastic centre caps/cups for the steelies and that one pipe under the hood. The main dealer couldn't really help me out, so off to eBay I shall go. Any help with these items is much appreciated.

Having driven old and small French hatchbacks, I can attest to their fun factor. Yes, there's not much power but the ridiculously low weight more than makes up for it.

But why is everyone talking about its foglights? From previous FinalGear discusssions I was forced to believe that foglights were useless and necessary. So why mess with them?

But why is everyone talking about its foglights? From previous FinalGear discusssions I was forced to believe that foglights were useless and necessary. So why mess with them?

Because the ones on this are broken and decrepit, and they bring down the appearance. I won't probably use them, but I won't want to have empty sockets either.

and if you cover them, its not a xs spec anymore (cant remember if they were standard on xs?)