Ownership Verified: My 1990 Peugeot 205 XS

I have no warning light, the needle just keeps dropping and eventually I run out of fuel :D

My warning light is not coupled to any fancy circuits. It goes on when tank reaches a certain level and off if it goes above level. So with a 90l tank in a wafty car it keeps going on and off when the tank is down to 15l and fuel is sloshign around...sometimes it flickers...that's why I try not to reach that fuel level, too annoying ^^

Last week, I wanted to start swapping the washer jet-less bumper over. I got a couple bolts in, then noticed how the driver side bolt holding the side on had rusted and gotten damaged enough to make removal a pain. In addition to that, I managed to break some plastic off the new indicator next to the driver side headlight ? so in any case, I ended up ordering another indicator again for seven euros. Replaced that today, and it seems the bumper swap will have to be done somewhere where that butchered bolt can be removed better than with my toolkit. Sort of annoying when you can't really get anywhere with what you figured would be a relatively easy swap, but I should have seen that coming.

Did a 330 km drive today and only used half a tank of fuel, which corresponds to ~7,5l/100km. That's not little for such a little car, but I drove it at 4000 rpm the entire time :lol:

I wonder what would happen if manufacturers were forced to publish consumption figures from when a car is being driven properly.....

Did 1300 km in a week now, to Eastern Finland and back. The car feels alive, alert and confidence-inspiring, it's like it's ready for another roadtrip some time in the future. And at Roadtrip speeds, it's totally at home, bombing along at 4000-5000 rpm for hours on forest highways. I've now done 16 000 km with it in the time I've had it.

I wonder what would happen if manufacturers were forced to publish consumption figures from when a car is being driven properly.....
It'd be market suicide for economy turbo cars.

Did 1300 km in a week now, to Eastern Finland and back. The car feels alive, alert and confidence-inspiring, it's like it's ready for another roadtrip some time in the future. And at Roadtrip speeds, it's totally at home, bombing along at 4000-5000 rpm for hours on forest highways.

I've now done 16 000 km with it in the time I've had it.

.. and for only ?350 initial outlay. That's very good for an old Pug. :cool:

It'd be market suicide for economy turbo cars.

for nearly everything i guess...
with my car, the shorter, "sporty" gearing of the more powerful engine means i can do a lovely 5 l/100km at 120km/h or get 6 l/100km at 150 km/h. i bet if they had gone to the trouble of making 6th gear just a little bit longer (the 150hp engine [basically the same 2.0tdi, just less torkwe/power] is geared ~10% longer, for example), that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

aaaanyway... i still love the 205, in general. i should get my hands on one and put it somewhere*, even if i end up being called a copycat or something, i don't care.

*yeah really, i have nowhere to put a spare / project car :(

As long as cheap ones are available, they're worth buying. But it's better being driven than being put away :p

I can produce a clunk when grabbing the passenger side front wheel, so methinks the wheel bearing is on its way out. Asked around for a bearing at two separate places today, and it'd be about 35 eur for just the bearing; I could get a bearing kit for 22 eur from the national moped net chain. I'm also leaning towards eradicating the clunks from the front end by splurging on lots of little parts. There's a groan every time I set off, which I haven't yet quite placed.

JxHapcM.jpg

Loot from the bearing sea. Bought two of the cheaper kits.

I should get the front end assessed by a garage, so I could order all the bits and pieces it might need.

Found a complete Peugeot 106 Rallye Phase II interior in dark cloth for 70 euros. It could be a sensible swap for the 205 ? not a straight swap without modifications, but definitely interesting. My door cards are just grey plastic, so there's no contrast problem there.

VfaqfoB.jpg

Winter tire time again... Two of the tires were completely flat so I dropped them off at a tire shop. They replaced the valves on both, but still as I washed them I could see some bubbling between tire and rim. Have to keep an eye on the pressures.

MhgwurC.jpg

The insides of the wheels were/are quite horrendous. Sprayed some different solvents on them and scrubbed them as much as I cared, but that's about as clean as I got them.

hn3Z3Ds.jpg

The wheel housings fared better.

Aaand my left front brake posed a problem again. It was stuck on again, to the extent that it stunk and the car didn't really like to go. Drove to the nearest garage and asked if they had time to tackle it on a Friday afternoon: no problem. The culprit was a blocked brake hose, the caliper was alright. They started calling around for a straight-swappable hose, and I remembered I had been driving around with the passenger side caliper I got near the N?rburgring in Aug 2014 :lol:

There was a very good hose still hanging off that caliper, so they swapped it on. The car seems to be fine to drive to Helsinki now, so it's time to pack my crap and head out on the highway.

^ :mrgreen:

g2XbGpq.jpg

Drove to Helsinki with no further issues. The car goes like it should, and the first 150km stint of highway revealed a fuel consumption figure of 6,64l/100km :lol: That's more than a litre down from what the car used the last time I did highway driving with it. Granted, this was on winter tires and winter speed limits, but still ? it shows it's pretty good for the car to not have one brake holding it back. It wasn't this stuck then, but it wasn't free either.

winter speed limits? Finland reduces theirs? though i live somewhere without big motorways, is it a custom to do that there perhaps?

For the winter months, the highway 100 km/h limits drop to 80. If there's a 80 km/h section there, that one drops to 60 km/h, so best to remember to still slow down 20 km/h for the camera there :p

Tbh, 80 km/h is fine fuel consumption -wise, but it does feel like trundling along when you're doing a long drive.

dMtzjhI.jpg

Met up with Lastsoul, Posambique and Polkky and headed to the twisty roads of Porkkala. My tires are pretty awful for this purpose, but grins were guaranteed.