Ownership Verified: My 1992 Peugeot 405 Mi16

Thanks for not teasing us :D

Awesome bargin bin purchase, per usual.

And having owned one, 168hp is hardly enough to put it in the sports sedan category. I can imagine the Peugeot is similar. Both get to 60mph in around 9 seconds...

I had one too, an automatic 855. Yours was automatic too right?. The manual is probably a different animal. Never driven one.

And having owned one, 168hp is hardly enough to put it in the sports sedan category. I can imagine the Peugeot is similar. Both get to 60mph in around 9 seconds...

As for other competitors - probably the best FWD sports sedan of the time - the Alfa 164 3.0 V6

At 2300 lbs, and with its short gearing and rev happy engine, I wasn't ever left wanting with mine, though, in modern context, it's certainly not the fastest car.

I didn't know it was this light...how the hell did they manage that with a car of this size?

Perc, my 850 was automatic too, but I have driven a manual non-turbo and it was way better.

To say it's "1988 fast" is probably correct :)

Carfolio specs for the non-catalyst model, noted as having 155hp:

kerb weight1108 kg2443 lb

acceleration 0-80km/h (50mph)6 s
acceleration 0-60mph8.2 s
acceleration 0-100km/h8.6 s

standing quarter-mile16.2 s
standing kilometre29.7 s
maximum speed220 km/h (137 mph)
power-to-weight ratio141.84 PS/g
104.32 kW/g
139.89 bhp/ton
0.06 bhp/lb
weight-to-power ratio9.59 kg/kW
16.01 lb/bhp

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=26862

As for other competitors - probably the best FWD sports sedan of the time - the Alfa 164 3.0 V6

0-60 in ~9 seconds was pretty sporty in the late 80s or early 90s, that's around what my Integra or a Civic SI of the era was capable of.

And let's not forget, these used to beat the shit out of E30 325i on 80s track tests. Today a decent 405 Mi16 costs maybe 1/5th of E30's price (well, 1/10th if it's public buying9, which tells a lot about current image of both brands...

Anyway, I've never driven a single 405, so I'm really waiting to have a go!

Congratulations, did you look for T16 4x4 at all or were you only after Mi16?
I dont remember seeing any rusty 405, thanks to Zinc'd chassis.

Tax free!

nFh02T9.jpg

What country's registration is that again? It's mentioned in the old Finnish papers.

I think their old Finnish tax free plates, so called "red plates", nowadays we have the sticker plates.
You might remember them in old rally cars where they were used for driving between stages.
ras_siirtok.gif

Those that your 405 had were used for tax free use and had the year that they were valid.

Here's a modern versio of it
4491-A_4153_vienti.jpg

Last edited:
The car did stay abroad for the first few years, so there's that.

T16:s aren't really commonly available in the price bracket where I usually shop, and FWD is nice and simple to maintain in comparison :)

You also do get rid of them every once in a while, I should do some trimming :lol:

For the next half year, this and the Polo will be the cars that get used. I wouldn't dream of keeping all the cars on the road at the same time.

I prefer this ad to the ones with "Take My Breath Away".