Ownership Verified: My 2015 911 Turbo Beetle

edkwon;n3554864 said:
I'd prefer a more classic style fixed front lip vs this retractable rubber lip in the 991 Turbo, it's just another mechanical part destined for failure and requires an expensive replacement when it does, if the anecdotes of other 991 owners is anything to go by.

Most of the time I only drive it in Sport mode where both the front lip and rear wing are in retracted position. Anything short of track speeds they are really unnecessary.

They're retractable? Wow.
This sounds like such an unnecessary gimmick.

Redliner;n3554894 said:

Yup, this is how the front end looks with the lip retracted, the advantage of this is the front end clears parking blocks and steeper driveway entrances a little easier with less scraping of the front end, but I'd rather it be a simple fixed piece that's easier to replace when it gets damaged. If the hydraulics get damaged with the retractable lip, its an expensive fix.

DSC06617 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

DSC06642 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Reactions: TC
The 911 has a ridiculously long overhang in both the front and rear, even the stocky 991 era cars with their significantly longer wheelbase compared to the older cars. It's not just about how low the car is but more about how far in front of the axle the bumper actually is.

A retractable lip seems like a lighter-weight and simpler solution than the older front axle lift system which accomplishes the same goal but in a much more invasive way. I think it's a smart solution for a problem which is real for street-driven cars. There are places I just can't go in my GT3 because I can't make it into up the parking lot ramp or steep driveway entrance.

Nugget;n3554965 said:
The 911 has a ridiculously long overhang in both the front and rear, even the stocky 991 era cars with their significantly longer wheelbase compared to the older cars. It's not just about how low the car is but more about how far in front of the axle the bumper actually is.

A retractable lip seems like a lighter-weight and simpler solution than the older front axle lift system which accomplishes the same goal but in a much more invasive way. I think it's a smart solution for a problem which is real for street-driven cars. There are places I just can't go in my GT3 because I can't make it into up the parking lot ramp or steep driveway entrance.

The front axle lift system is still an option in higher trim 911s, from the Turbo to the GT series cars btw for exactly the reason you illustrate since they have their low non-adjustable ground clearance and fixed front lips.

Redliner;n3554894 said:

Not a gimmick. Its a real and not-insignificant aero benefit for highway driving.

Attended a local auto-x style driving event a couple weeks ago, finally got the photos, local to where I live at the Anaheim Angel's stadium. Fun event, convenient and decent price.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4850\/44145093020_8f991ff2c2_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]PURETRACK NOV 2018-299 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

A few of the other cars that participated:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4811\/44147412840_21103844dc_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]PURETRACK NOV 2018 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4840\/45963842511_a1d9e04e09_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]PURETRACK NOV 2018 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4917\/45239521344_8909c37236_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]PURETRACK NOV 2018 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4873\/32092942878_7e7c9b93c1_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]PURETRACK NOV 2018 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4812\/32092942328_3ba1a57f39_c.jpg"}[/IMG2]PURETRACK NOV 2018 by Ed Kwon, on Flickr

Reactions: TC
Looking good in those pictures! :thumbsup:

samulis;n3555120 said:
Nice car, like the new wheels

Say what? Tell me about it.

Short version: there's a lot of it.

46342765594_9ffdcb7333_c.jpg

32124911867_9abbfd6018_c.jpg

Just sharing a little DIY door protection work I did in my own garage. We have a 3 car garage with the typical '2 bay door'/'1 bay door' config that many 3 car garages have.
What's interesting when we bought the house, the previous owners had a partial drywall partition built separating the single bay from the dual bay (can walk between them via a door sized hole) so I took the single bay for the 911 while the dual bays are for the family cars (kids opening doors) boxes, tools, etc.
As you can see the single bay is a bit narrow so I took some heavy duty rubber floor mat from Home Depot, cut into strips, measured the walls and installed them on either side of the bay as door protection so I can open and hit the padding with no concerns of paint damage. $8 dollars worth of materials and about 20 min of labor.

33200360368_4a34582bf8_c.jpg

40110570723_9723b60d04_c.jpg

40110569363_0f9c3fa4f5_c.jpg

40110568893_271493bb69_c.jpg

33200360388_908dd9c1ee_c.jpg

Uh... stealing that idea post-haste.

We have a 6x6 post in the middle of our garage that is in the perfect spot to ding up a door. I found some leftover carpet from the previous owner and wrapped it around the post, fastening it with some heavy duty staples in a spot the car doors can't hit.

Weather was beautiful over the weekend so me and my friend (owns a 2018 GT3) went for a quick drive in the canyons. We drove our own cars for half the run, then we swapped cars for the 2nd half of the run. Even tho I didn't fully rev it up the rev band (his car is still in the break in period) the GT3 was pretty glorious to drive, and surprisingly not as loud or as harsh as I expected. Also the clutch was surprisingly light like a Honda and really easy to engage. The car could almost be daily driveable.

46742358744_a5cd780b35_b.jpg

Whoa! I didn’t see this during my hiatus. Personally, I prefer the BoxCay cars but then I would since I’m biased that way. Having said that, there’s no question a 911 is a more usable car, especially with a kid friendly back seat. Congrats on the real estate benefits!

Interesting tidbits I discovered when driving the GT3:

1. it only has 'normal' mode and 'sport'. It's Normal mode is basically Sport in any other 911. It's Sport mode would be the same as 'Sport+' in any 911 with Sport Chrono option

2. SC pack is an option in the GT cars, but it is largely useless as all the performance enhancements (increased throttle response, more aggressive engine mapping, etc) are already baked into the software in normal sport mode. All SC gets you in the GT cars is that little stopwatch on the dash and the lap timer app which nobody uses anyway.

3. I'm not 100% sure about this, but my friend's car did come with PASM and I think its the same as the sport PASM option found in other 991.2 911s, but even in sport chassis mode, it did not seem incredibly harsh on a smooth canyon road compared to my turbo in Sport Chassis PASM mode. I didn't drive it on a really ratty road tho. My buddy says its pretty harsh and bone jarring on crap pavement.

4. Front axle lift option is awesome. Wish I had it on my car, especially since I lowered it.