Readjusted the engine mounts, and it fits like a glove.. Seriously it's like the car and the engine were meant to be
Really really pleased with how far back it sits as well:
And as I was happy with the fitment, it was time to make another exhaust manifold! (I think this is the tenth one I've made ) Pile of bits:
First primary (note the fancy jig):
..And by the time I got the fourth one made, it was dark
All the primaries are equal length to around 30-40mm.. Might go back and adjust them a bit to make them absolutely equal, but something like 20mm error is possible with the way I measure them so I might not bother as the cams in the engine are not *that* racy..
And this is how it now sits. Also made my own fuel rail and wiring loom for the injectors which is visible here:
Next up? Painting the inner fenders and making a kevlar airbox
EDIT: Oh yeah, this is how I decided to route the "side loom" to the engine bay for the ecu etc. the black box is for splitting 35mm cables for the battery, starter, alternator, etc, aluminium plate will be drilled for wires that need routing trough (to avoid drilling through paint in the future), bulkhead connector is all ECU wiring.
And the gearbox mounting plate (off a Sierra and adapted to fit) had to get some speed holes :
A friend of mine agreed early last year that he could paint the car for me for a good price. A deal was made, and I was supposed to bring the car to him after Christmas. Well, due to the amount of paint prep work needed on the car it took about a month more than anticipated to get the car to him. Between us we spent around 130 hours on just prep and paint work.
After all the work, in 2 months the Cortina's garage has transformed from this:
And in the last 3 weeks the car has turned from this:
Have yet to see the car myself, but the painter said that the finish is as good as it ever could be considering it was painted in a basic 2-car garage.
Seats are getting close to being finished too:
Getting closer and closer to the really nice stuff of bolting clean, freshly painted bits on the car.
But in case you happen to loose bolt from air cleaner or throttle body, screen does not help. Not that it is more common than engine swallowing an stone (place here "really slow rolling eyes" smiley)
Cortina will reborn sexier than ever, but it might need an union jack painted on to the roof.
And it might have even better tyres.
Progress on the Cortina has been quite slow as I have -once again- taken on some side projects for friends, however, even slowly working on the car gets it closer to some day being finished:
The car is back in it's "stable" and has received some additional paintwork behind the front grille and on the dashboard and interior a-pillars. They are exposed metal, so they needed to be paintedin the correct color before fitting anything to the car:
A lot of time was spent on making every single part I'm putting on the car perfect. This is some of the front suspension, and misc. stuff like battery mount, bumper brackets, etc. Some of them powdercoated and some of them painted with 2-component paints:
Also the car might just be getting some split wheels..
And after finishing the separate parts, I could finally start bolting some complete stuff on the car, hopefully for good this time:
The only thing now missing from the front suspension being complete are the brake caliper brackets. The discs I've chosen are 266mm off a Peugeot 405 Mi16, and calipers are Wilwood Dynalite, mounts will be machined from aluminium sometime in the next few weeks, after which everything can be fitted. The 266mm discs are a bit of a squeeze under 13" wheels..
Also, Even though the car is getting Fiberglass front wings now, I found a really rusty front wing, which I sectioned and will try to use it's parts to fix up the passenger front wing that was damaged in the crash, looks promising initially, but will be a huge amount of work to actually repair: