Ownership Verified: My Brooklands Green sports saloon...

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Roadside head job! You quickly become my hero!

I'll be in the Highlands second half of September. Maybe you can drive one of your shitboxes up so we can have a pint...

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'77 Triumph Dolomite 1300 + '83 Triumph Acclaim
i was expecting "yes" as a reply :D
Yes
Roadside head job! You quickly become my hero!

I'll be in the Highlands second half of September. Maybe you can drive one of your shitboxes up so we can have a pint...
Just wait until the next instalment where I remove one engine and replace it with another at the side of the road, preferably quickly enough that it'll be done in less time than it takes for my mad neighbour to notice I'm doing it, phone the police, and have them arrive...

Meeting up could be do-able, fling me a PM with some dates/approximate locations and I'll see what I can do!

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
1979 Opel Kadett | 1972 Ford Country Sedan
Just wait until the next instalment where I remove one engine and replace it with another at the side of the road, preferably quickly enough that it'll be done in less time than it takes for my mad neighbour to notice I'm doing it, phone the police, and have them arrive...
...without an engine hoist!

Meeting up could be do-able, fling me a PM with some dates/approximate locations and I'll see what I can do!
Will do!

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Man, I operate slowly.

Essentially I've been busy with having an life, and having a cool 0-hour contract job (because UK) leading to a constant lack of time and money.

The original engine in the Doloshite = Fucked.

Rebuildable, but not worth the hassle.

The Spitfire engine = Fucked. Pulled the bottom end the the bearings were all shot and there was scoring to the crank, probably ran shit oil at some point.

Fuck it, it was free... Also rebuildable but...

I acquired another engine. (I now have 7 engines and 3 cars scattered around the nation).

This is a 1960s Triumph SC unit, still 1,296cc but an earlier variant. Essentially in 1973 BL modified the crank to share it's bearings with the TR6 6-cylinder engine and in doing so made it less free-revving and more prone to bottom end wear. Thus the early engines are better candidates for a rebuild because they're betterer.
One cropped up for very cheap down in England and a guy on a forum pointed it out to me and said he could collect it on my behalf. Well, he did just that. Then I got another message saying he'd stripped it down, sold all the non-essential bits and was in the process of rebuilding it...

So I now have a freshly rebuilt engine and owe some bloke on the internet about £450 although he insists on not taking any money until the engine is in the car and proven to be a good runner. He's built several of them over the years and also has a Dolomite, albeit with a Rover V8 installed...

Anyways, it's now ready for collection and should be in my hands by the end of this month.

Once I have it I'll need to entirely pull the old engine out of the car as I'll need the Dolly specific parts (sump, backplate, flywheel etc), swap them to the new engine and then drop that in the car...

This is a very minor snag in that we don't know if the engine will actually fit because it's from a Triumph 1300, which is fwd and as such had a big fuck-off cast iron gearbox on the bottom of it. Somebody suggested they have a tapered crankshaft to accommodate this but we've measured and they seem identical in every way which actually matters for a rwd application, the block also seems identical to any other 1300cc Spitfire/Herald/Dolomite lump except the dipstick hole had a plug in it as the fwd cars had one in the gearbox bit.

We'll fine out when I go to fit it in the Spring time. If it doesn't fit I'll just sell it buy a 1300fwd to put it in.

Der Stig

is Der Slut
DONOR
Car(s)
Divorcée Mobiles
Awfully nice of that guy to do a total rebuild without being prompted. Hopefully it's a good runner.

We'll fine out when I go to fit it in the Spring time. If it doesn't fit I'll just sell it buy a 1300fwd to put it in.
Flawless logic haha.

I eagerly await the inevitable 5 FWD parts cars.

nicjasno

BMW Perfectionist
DONOR
Car(s)
'89 BMW E30 325iT, '95 BMW E36 318ti compact
Man, I operate slowly.

Essentially I've been busy with having an life, and having a cool 0-hour contract job (because UK) leading to a constant lack of time and money.

The original engine in the Doloshite = Fucked.

Rebuildable, but not worth the hassle.

The Spitfire engine = Fucked. Pulled the bottom end the the bearings were all shot and there was scoring to the crank, probably ran shit oil at some point.

Fuck it, it was free... Also rebuildable but...

I acquired another engine. (I now have 7 engines and 3 cars scattered around the nation).

This is a 1960s Triumph SC unit, still 1,296cc but an earlier variant. Essentially in 1973 BL modified the crank to share it's bearings with the TR6 6-cylinder engine and in doing so made it less free-revving and more prone to bottom end wear. Thus the early engines are better candidates for a rebuild because they're betterer.
One cropped up for very cheap down in England and a guy on a forum pointed it out to me and said he could collect it on my behalf. Well, he did just that. Then I got another message saying he'd stripped it down, sold all the non-essential bits and was in the process of rebuilding it...

So I now have a freshly rebuilt engine and owe some bloke on the internet about £450 although he insists on not taking any money until the engine is in the car and proven to be a good runner. He's built several of them over the years and also has a Dolomite, albeit with a Rover V8 installed...

Anyways, it's now ready for collection and should be in my hands by the end of this month.

Once I have it I'll need to entirely pull the old engine out of the car as I'll need the Dolly specific parts (sump, backplate, flywheel etc), swap them to the new engine and then drop that in the car...

This is a very minor snag in that we don't know if the engine will actually fit because it's from a Triumph 1300, which is fwd and as such had a big fuck-off cast iron gearbox on the bottom of it. Somebody suggested they have a tapered crankshaft to accommodate this but we've measured and they seem identical in every way which actually matters for a rwd application, the block also seems identical to any other 1300cc Spitfire/Herald/Dolomite lump except the dipstick hole had a plug in it as the fwd cars had one in the gearbox bit.

Sounds like something i'd do. :p

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
I'm hoping to collect the engine this weekend as I'm going down to Cannock to view a crap car auction and have dinner with some fellow shit car enthusiast types.

One of whom was going to be bringing his Volvo 850 estate and could easily lug the engine back north, however he's now having to work so it may end up in the back of the torque-less wonder that is the Triumph Acclaim. I'm sort of hoping to be able to cajole another friend who is going down in a very nice Volvo 740 estate into lending aid....

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Date tested 13 November 2017
FAIL
Mileage 36,654 miles
MOT test number 4139 5013 0293
Test location

View test location
Reason(s) for failure
  • Parking brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
  • Nearside Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
  • Horn not working (1.6.2a)
  • Offside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings Outer sill (6.1.B.2)
  • Offside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings Inner sill (6.1.B.2)
  • Nearside Rear Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)
  • Offside Rear Shock absorber has a serious fluid leak (2.7.3)
  • Front Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases At manifold flange and center exhaust clamp (7.1.2)
  • Nearside Front front brake application uneven (3.7.B.2)
  • Nearside Rear Brake lever has restricted free movement (3.5.1k)
  • Exhaust engine idle speed too high (7.3.A.2a)
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Starter motor loose
  • Nearside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Brake pipe slightly corroded Nearside rear to offside rear (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Front Vehicle structure has slight corrosion Wing at outer sill (6.1.B.2)
  • Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()
  • Rear Exhaust hanger deterioting
Cap, I would suggest the engine is the least of your problems! :ROFLMAO:

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
That wis yonks ago. Since then the following has occurred:

The sill has been welded up, although by my local garage and it's a shit job.
Both shocks replaced.
The front calipers cleaned up and new pads.
New rear drums and shoes.
Handbrake adjusted appropriately.
Carb cleaned up and readjusted.
Exhaust re-fitted and putty'd up.
Smacked the reg plate light back into life.
New horn fitted.
Starter motor secured with more than one hand tight nut.

The last MOT was for my exercise in law bending whereby you can drive an un-taxed and un-MOT'd car straight to a pre-booked MOT, I just happened to be driving from my lock-up in rural Aberdeenshire to my local garage in Glasgow...
I then left it with them to do the shocks and brakes and they kept it in the yard for months until Spring arrived (handily storing it off the public highway for free as they never got around to sorting it) and I took it home and rebuilt the brakes myself over a weekend, by that point the car was MOT exempt so I never sent it back.

Then the engine asploded. Then I tore off a wheelarch in a fit of rust poking.

So current priorities are

1 - Fit un-asploded engine.
2 - Weld on a new wheel arch.
3 - Maybe look at the crusty brake lines...

Hopefully can be finished by summer as the Acclaim is getting tedious, I did 640 miles in the thing t'other weekend and it didn't even use any oil...