Yesi was expecting "yes" as a reply
Just wait until the next instalment where I remove one engine and replace it with another at the side of the road, preferably quickly enough that it'll be done in less time than it takes for my mad neighbour to notice I'm doing it, phone the police, and have them arrive...Roadside head job! You quickly become my hero!
I'll be in the Highlands second half of September. Maybe you can drive one of your shitboxes up so we can have a pint...
...without an engine hoist!Just wait until the next instalment where I remove one engine and replace it with another at the side of the road, preferably quickly enough that it'll be done in less time than it takes for my mad neighbour to notice I'm doing it, phone the police, and have them arrive...
Will do!Meeting up could be do-able, fling me a PM with some dates/approximate locations and I'll see what I can do!
Flawless logic haha.We'll fine out when I go to fit it in the Spring time. If it doesn't fit I'll just
sell itbuy a 1300fwd to put it in.
Man, I operate slowly.
Essentially I've been busy with having an life, and having a cool 0-hour contract job (because UK) leading to a constant lack of time and money.
The original engine in the Doloshite = Fucked.
Rebuildable, but not worth the hassle.
The Spitfire engine = Fucked. Pulled the bottom end the the bearings were all shot and there was scoring to the crank, probably ran shit oil at some point.
Fuck it, it was free... Also rebuildable but...
I acquired another engine. (I now have 7 engines and 3 cars scattered around the nation).
This is a 1960s Triumph SC unit, still 1,296cc but an earlier variant. Essentially in 1973 BL modified the crank to share it's bearings with the TR6 6-cylinder engine and in doing so made it less free-revving and more prone to bottom end wear. Thus the early engines are better candidates for a rebuild because they're betterer.
One cropped up for very cheap down in England and a guy on a forum pointed it out to me and said he could collect it on my behalf. Well, he did just that. Then I got another message saying he'd stripped it down, sold all the non-essential bits and was in the process of rebuilding it...
So I now have a freshly rebuilt engine and owe some bloke on the internet about £450 although he insists on not taking any money until the engine is in the car and proven to be a good runner. He's built several of them over the years and also has a Dolomite, albeit with a Rover V8 installed...
Anyways, it's now ready for collection and should be in my hands by the end of this month.
Once I have it I'll need to entirely pull the old engine out of the car as I'll need the Dolly specific parts (sump, backplate, flywheel etc), swap them to the new engine and then drop that in the car...
This is a very minor snag in that we don't know if the engine will actually fit because it's from a Triumph 1300, which is fwd and as such had a big fuck-off cast iron gearbox on the bottom of it. Somebody suggested they have a tapered crankshaft to accommodate this but we've measured and they seem identical in every way which actually matters for a rwd application, the block also seems identical to any other 1300cc Spitfire/Herald/Dolomite lump except the dipstick hole had a plug in it as the fwd cars had one in the gearbox bit.
We'll fine out when I go to fit it in the Spring time. If it doesn't fit I'll just
sell itbuy a 1300fwd to put it in.