My fellow musicians

DTMracer

Car(s)
1988 Mini Cooper, 1998 MB E55 AMG
I'm posting this outside of the music thread to get my responses.

Just out of interest, what instruments do people here play, and why do you love your instrument so much?

I mainly play piano and guitar. I'm one of those weirdos born with perfect pitch, so I've had a big love of music ever since I was a little boy. I've been playing piano for over 10 years, and I love it because the piano fits into so many different types of music.

Bass guitar was a bit of a weird one. I started out playing normal guitar, but gradually found bass to be more enjoyable. I love the sound of a bass guitar, its just so soothing and once again, fits into many different types of music.

I've been playing the guitar since i was 14, and I still consider it to be my "main" instrument. I do play other intrumenst such as Bass, Banjo, Drums and the violin.. For me music is/was a good way to deal with my aggression.. That's why I mostly play Metal.. But I also have a soft spot for irish music and bluegrass.. And some jazz..

crazyjeeper said:
I play guitar and saxophone. I started playing bass, and slowly moved to guitar when I started playing more by myself. I got into it because all of my friends were like, "I want to play the electric guitar" and I decided I was actually going to learn to play it, not just say I wanted to.

I play Saxophone because it was the coolest instrument in 6th grade when I started band at school and stuck with it through senior year.

I play the piano and have done since I was about 7... I don't play anything else, but if I could choose I would probably have learned the guitar instead. Although playing Muse pieces is fun. :D

I think I started the piano when I was about 4 or 5. I ended up with a performer's degree when I was 15 and then I moved on to the trumpet. Played in a jazz band. Tried to pick up the guitar but just didn't seem to have the patience. Can only play power cords. PPPPooooweerrrrrrrr.

I tried playing saxaphone in my youth, but gave up because I just can't read notes/sheet music. Some years later I decided to learn bass, and I'll never forget what the guy told me when I bought it. "If you turn out to be a good bass player, you will have work. If you turn out to be a bad bass player, you will have work. Because no one out there wants to play bass". That was almost 10 years ago.

I picked bass because everyone only wants to learn guitar. I've seen and heard countless kids who have zero right being near a guitar or microphone. You know the ones, they have no talent or maybe just a speck of it, but think they are as good as Clapton and will be the next MTV star. I've also seen parents buy little johny jerkoff a $2,500 Fender and $1,500 Marshall stack because they think it will make them a better musician.

Last year I had suck in stereo while buying strings at Guitar Center. On one side of me is one of the above kids with a fender knock off trying to play Enter Sandman. One other side of me a slightly older kid with another knock off trying to play Stairway To Heaven. Both of them failing miserably. It took every ounce of stregnth not to grab one of the guitars and beat them to death with it Bluto style.

I seem to have strayed from the topic a bit...

We may get ragged on for not having talent, but without us and the drummers, you guitarists don't have shit.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvl8rs95pU&mode=related&search=[/YOUTUBE]

And this is hands down the most impressive bass solo I've ever seen.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Q_J2fIKPI[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
And this is hands down the most impressive bass solo I've ever seen.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Q_J2fIKPI[/YOUTUBE]

Dude looks like Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee. Not bad for a hobbit.

I did the usual Asian thing of piano from age 5, and I briefly picked up violin while I was bored in high school. After college I picked a guitar and am figuring out slowly, using tabs and the occasional video tutorial. It's slow work, especially relearning how to read music, but I'm getting there.

Bass is awesome. I found it much more enjoyable to play than my 7-string guitar, as as punisher-bass said, nobody want to play it because its not a "lead" instrument.

Seems lots of us here play piano. I've always wondered why so many asian parents make their kids play piano even when they don't enjoy it as it is by no mean an "easy to pickup" instrument, and just because your kid plays bach it doesn't suddenly make him more competent at school.

I play piano and guitar. I had piano lessons from age 11 to around 15, not sure when I stopped. The only problem is that I sight-read notes very well, but it takes me ages to memorize songs. So unless I have the notes in front of me, I'm not very impressive in a crowd. :cry:

lol, I'm the other way around. I remember learning all my exam songs just by listening to them over and over again, but in the exams my sight-reading would suck. My perfect pitch meant I never had to do the listening bits of the exam (e.g. Chord positions, picking out the bass line, whatever).

Double bass, piano, bassoon, electric bass. I own a triangle, too, but I've never taken lessons on that.

I'm a huge double bass geek (not many can say that). I'm classically-trained (I had 10 years of lessons and an option to go to a music conservatoire to become a professional), which is a bit of a pain because recently I've been trying to play more jazz in a band. And I such utter balls at improvisation. Oh well, I'm trying, at least.

Piano I've played for 14 years, absurdly. I'm not bad but I'm not exactly brilliant, either.

Bassoon, yeah, not touched that for a few years. It was my attempt at playing something more portable.

And the triangle I found at a jumble sale. I took it camping once as I can't play guitar.

Actually, that's a bugbear of mine. I can't for the life of me play guitar. I'm useless at it, it utterly defeats and frustrates me. Believe me, I've tried - just to play basic chords and move between them - but it doesn't happen. So my next plan is to buy a ukulele and self-teach myself that - two less strings to bother with, and it's something portable I can take and play along with at all those social gatherings when there's always a guitar (and it turns out that 50% of the people there can play it, even if it's just knocking out Wonderwall).

Double bass, piano, bassoon, electric bass. I own a triangle, too, but I've never taken lessons on that.

I'm a huge double bass geek (not many can say that)

Bassoon, yeah, not touched that for a few years. It was my attempt at playing something more portable.

I have never heard "bassoon" and "more portable" in the same thought, until now :lol:. Boy has that double bass affected your perspective!

I'm a huge double bass geek (not many can say that). I'm classically-trained (I had 10 years of lessons and an option to go to a music conservatoire to become a professional), which is a bit of a pain because recently I've been trying to play more jazz in a band. And I such utter balls at improvisation. Oh well, I'm trying, at least.

Piano I've played for 14 years, absurdly. I'm not bad but I'm not exactly brilliant, either.

And the triangle I found at a jumble sale. I took it camping once as I can't play guitar.

Actually, that's a bugbear of mine. I can't for the life of me play guitar. I'm useless at it, it utterly defeats and frustrates me. Believe me, I've tried - just to play basic chords and move between them - but it doesn't happen. So my next plan is to buy a ukulele and self-teach myself that - two less strings to bother with, and it's something portable I can take and play along with at all those social gatherings when there's always a guitar (and it turns out that 50% of the people there can play it, even if it's just knocking out Wonderwall).

Yeah, I found that I was pretty rubbish on normal guitar, but could somehow play my way through some awesome bass solos.

I think every boy/man wants to be the next Jimmi Hendrix, which is why we all try and learn to play guitar at some point, but only a select few are seriously good enough.

So my next plan is to buy a ukulele and self-teach myself that - two less strings to bother with, and it's something portable I can take and play along with at all those social gatherings when there's always a guitar (and it turns out that 50% of the people there can play it, even if it's just knocking out Wonderwall).

Just remember that Ukulele's are tuned very differently from guitars, so your chord formations will also be completely different!

The ukulele is very different to a normal guitar! I tried playing one once, and it was difficult cos I had to relearn all the different finger positions.

EDIT: Who here found music theory exam to be a complete bitch? I managed to do very well (99 for all levels), but that was with heaps of practice (2 papers a week, every week up till exams) and a lot of swearing.

Last edited:
I myself have been playing the guitar for the past 20 years. I like it because it is versatile.

20 years! So you must be half way to becoming jimmi hendrix.

I can sort of play the guitar, sort of play the bass, and sort of play the drums, but what i can really play is Ableton :)

You mean Ableton Live? Ableton is the company, Live is the program.

But yeah, pretty much same here. I been picking up virtual instruments since last year. Play them with an M-audio MIDI keyboard and a Native Instruments Kore console, which really helps in terms of sound design.

The virtual instruments I play emulate your basic electronic instruments: synthesizer, sampler, drum machine, etc.

And I also use Ableton Live as my DAW of choice.
Unfortunately, my productions at the current time sound a bit shite because of low PC specs ... and some of these virtual instruments eat a lot of processing power ... a whole lot. If luck holds, I'll buy a new desktop by the end of summer, and finally things might start to pick up.

Oh, and I also DJ ... mostly on software, and on timecoded vinyl whenever I can borrow some decks off my friends (usually in exchange for lending my MIDI equipment to them). I need my own decks, damnit. :(

I played trumpet in concert band and jazz band through high school, and then in symphonic band at the university.

First, and foremost, however, I am a concert pianist. I've played since before I was 5, continued through college, and graduated with a music degree. I play almost exclusively classical, although I would love to learn to really play jazz.