My Hometown is Famous for...

ashspet

Nothing to see here, move along people!
DONOR
What is your hometown famous for?

My hometown invented the birth control pill. You're welcome, ladies.

(Yes, the entire town.)

My home town invited the reason for the birth control pill.

Jimi_Hendrix_1967.png

My home town's claim to fame is... Being the oldest place in this country that was inhabited, some 7000 years ago.

My hometown was the launch site of the first liquid-fueled rocket.... because it was a big field next to the city where it was invented.

My hometown invented the industrial revolution. I win.

^ Mine was the first place ever to have Cricket played with three stumps instead of two. Same kind of revolution, really.

My hometown sort of invented Texas (Steven Austin attended my high school). You're welcome. :D

My hometown was the first place to have automatic traffic lights :p

My hometown's claim to fame is that it was the birthplace of two people who helped shape our language into an official entity. One translated the Bible from Latin, which was the only language it was supposed to be written in until the protestant era, and the other one made the first version of the alphabet, which meant that we could actually write things down in a standardised manner. Obviously the latter example happened before the first one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krško#Prominent_residents

We also have the only nuclear power plant in the country.

Actually.. The car that beat the land speed world record several times with several different drivers (Notably Sir Striling Moss) Sunbeam, was designed and built in Wolverhampton!

My hometown is famous because it made me.

fuck-yeah.png

Last edited:
...the biggest sailing event in the world.

Also, we have the most uselessly overcomplicated bridge.

Last edited:
Madison, Wisconsin.

Besides having a very prominent University (with a world famous agricultural program) and state capitol, Madison is known for having very interesting politics, which is why it is called sometimes Berkley Midwest, the Republic Of Madison or 60 square mile surrounded by reality.

The band Garbage is based here, I have small talked with Butch Vig a number of times at the local music store, and speaking of him, he produced and recorded Nirvana's Nevermind at Sleepless Nights studio on East Washington Avenue.

Clyde Stubblefield, who was once James Browns drummer and single handedly invented the funky drummer sound, now lives in Madison. And drives a Volvo station wagon. :|

Madison also has, per capita, the highest percentage of gay men and women in the United States.

Architect Frank Loyd Wright grew up in Madison and left his beautiful works scattered all over for Madisonians to appreciate.

If you are bothered by organized religion, you will be happy to know that the Freedom From Religion Foundation is based there.

For those of you who cannot live without this:

tumblr_lagrn1PIyG1qczkbc.jpg

Yup.

My adopted hometown of Brighton is:

- the birthplace of Katie "Jordan" Price, Dusty Springfield, Simon Cowell, Anita Roddick (founded The Body Shop) and many more
- Dave Gilmour, Steve Coogan, Rudyard Kipling, Richard Attenborough, Cate Blanchett, Fatboy Slim, Gary Moore, Napoleon III, Robert Smith (The Cure), Peter Tobin (serial killer), Mark Williams (Harry Potter - Mr Weasley) and many others live(d) here.
- Brunel was educated here.
- the LGBT capital of Ukania if not Europe
- home to the world's oldest electric railway
- the coolest place in Ukania
- home to the oldest naturist beach in the UK, open 365 days a year and scarily used just as often!
- the finish of the London to Brighton Veteran and Vintage Car Run which commemorates the lifting of the 4mph speed limit here
- home of the Brighton Speed Trials
- has the oldest continuously operational commercial airport in the world (Shoreham by Sea)
- is known as "London by the Sea" - all of the best things about London with very few of the drawbacks
- is 45 minutes' drive from Dunsfold!
- has an annual Arts Festival which is world renowned
- (probably) has more restaurants per capita than anywhere else I've ever lived. If you love food then this is where you need to be.

See the following links:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonsimmons/me/source10.htm

Er. Withnail and I was set in some fields about ten miles away, but when the actual 'town' was shown, it was Milton Keynes. Otherwise... nothing.

215px-Withnail_and_i_poster.jpg

...Not a lot happens in Cumbria. Oh! I remember, William Wordsworth went to school here for a bit.

Er. Withnail and I was set in some fields about ten miles away, but when the actual 'town' was shown, it was Milton Keynes. Otherwise... nothing.

215px-Withnail_and_i_poster.jpg

...Not a lot happens in Cumbria. Oh! I remember, William Wordsworth went to school here for a bit.

:idiot: This guy's ghost would like a word. As would my Managing Director who is his nephew.....

Donald_Campbell.jpg

Bluebird_1407282c.jpg

:idiot: This guy's ghost would like a word. As would my Managing Director who is his nephew.....

That's if you include the whole county I suppose, but Penrith has no connection to Sir Donald. As an aside, the Bluebird museum, and the Bluebird exibit at Holker Hall are both wonderful.

Reactions: MWF
I live in Newton, MA right now. The Fig Newton was named after it. Among the people from or who have lived in Newton are Horace Mann, BJ Novak (whose brother i went to school with), Fat Mike from NOFX, the inventors of the Stanley Steamer and Isaac Asimov.... *deep breath* Amy Poehler, Matt Damon, Larry Summers, Eli Roth, Larry Bird, NASCAR driver Pete Hamilton and a ton of Red Sox Players. There are more and the list can be found here.

That's if you include the whole county I suppose, but Penrith has no connection to Sir Donald. As an aside, the Bluebird museum, and the Bluebird exibit at Holker Hall are both wonderful.

Well you did mention the whole county. Which, apart from Brighton, is my favourite place on the planet. Holker Hall is pretty cool place to go.

And the gangsta sheep atop Helvellyn are well 'ard! ;)