Someone Else's Problem: My Hot Latino - '16 Beetle Cabrio

It has a colour! Awesome!

I just would like to point out that a Latino is a dude. Latina is a lady :lol:

I'm well aware of that... not only is it Der K?fer in German as Dan pointed out, but also El Vocho in Mexican :p

I'm told there's a turbo somewhere underneath all that plastic :dunno:

Had a go at the roof cover - looks pretty neat:

Might not be tucked in properly at the rear, gonna *gasp* read the manual...

It is quite a faff to put on though, and takes up the entire rear seats... so it's relegated to the basement at least until spring.

I approve because....

- - - Updated - - -

I approve because....

1. It isn't a shade of monochrome.
2. It's a pretty good looking thing from most angles.
3. It's a ragtop.

I presume you had the choice, or at least your choice of VAG product, but I'm curious as to why you went for this as opposed to any of the other options that's "a Golf but not a Golf"?

I presume you had the choice, or at least your choice of VAG product, but I'm curious as to why you went for this as opposed to any of the other options that's "a Golf but not a Golf"?

I had Audi, VW, Skoda and probably Seat to choose from.
Skoda and Seat don't offer convertibles, VW only offers the Beetle.
Leaves Audi... The TT is too small. The A5 is too big. The A3 is too expensive for what it is. Didn't ask about the R8 :D

That may sound bad, but I also chose it because it's a hoot to drive and I like the look.

Last edited:
That all sounds fair enough. Enjoy! I look forward to meeting it at the next Ringmeet.

Although if the Awards happen again I suspect it will be deemed to outgay all ?the MX5s.

narf, what kind of stuff does your infotainment system do with the Internet connection you are so eager to provide via your phone, as hinted at over in the Android thread?

Not as much as you might hope for... so far I've tried out online traffic info via TomTom (good), importing destinations via carnet portal (ugly to use but works), retrieving vehicle status report via carnet portal (kinda meh, says odometer reading and "no messages" - no fuel level, for example), displaying weather forecast including radar (works well, but isn't overlayed on top of the satnav map :( - that would have been awesome as an always-on convertible-specific feature... also no weather-dependent routing, e.g. from here to the 'Ring you could do A1 or A7-A2 with very little in it, so your choice could be based on "rain on A1, so take A7-A2").
There's also news feeds, web-based import of POI lists, fuel stations with real-time prices (powered by Markttransparenzstelle Kraftstoffe and made irrelephant by free fuel cards), email notifications for upcoming service events, and possibly more.
It's also supposed to be able to download map updates, nothing available atm.

Meanwhile the Beetle's just had its first sunset cruise thanks to September Summer... fancy lights are fancy.

Last edited:
Gave the Android app a shot, most of the features shown anywhere aren't available for the Beetle :shakefist: though selecting a destination to send to the car is a bit easier in the app... which is kinda sad for the web portal.

Jein. The first year is free, after that it's supposedly around 75? a year... no idea if I'd buy another year, and no idea if $company would pay because I'm paying a Nutzungspauschale :D

Red brake calipers huh? :p

I got to put those to the test today :driving:

A pheasant decided to walk onto the road, lucky for him the road behind me was clear so I dropped the anchors... new big brakes stop really well :eek:
The fast approaching orange bug didn't bother the bird at all, but chirping tyres made it shuffle off :shakefist: no video because no new dashcam yet, open to suggestions in the other thread.

narf, what kind of stuff does your infotainment system do with the Internet connection you are so eager to provide via your phone, as hinted at over in the Android thread?

:threadnopics:

This entire Land is one ginormous road construction site :|

Fairly standard weather report :cool: lovely weekend coming up.

This is the biggest missed opportunity, no navigation integration of current showers. How awesome would it be for the convertible to tell the driver "rain in five minutes. Turn left in 500m to avoid with at least 70km/h".

Fuel stations by distance or price.

Supposedly there's also parking structures with current free spaces, but out there in the shticks it found nothing :D

PS: Those four red dots probably are the proximity sensors, not visible to the naked eye. The bottom buttons slide in when your hand approaches the screen, giving you a bit more viewing space when not fondling it.

Last edited:
Neat company auto! Love the colour. Mildly annoyed by the radio being off-center over the HVAC stack. ;)
OT: "D?nischerhagen" makes me think of a grazing ground for Danish people. :lol:

Also is a company car that common over there? No one but executives seem to have them here.

For Sweden company purchases account for 60% of new car sales.

Last edited: