My new 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door

You're not going to have 170 wheel horsepower. Don't waste your money on power mods. You will not, under any naturally aspirated circumstances that don't cost more than half the value of the car, hit 170 at the wheels.

I hate to burst your dreams there, but I'm being honest. Springs and sways are an inexpensive, effective way of getting the car to "feel" quicker than it is. Wheels with 225 or 235 width summer tires. Beyond that, in everyday driving, you won't notice a difference from any other modifications.

I was talking on terms of power, exhaust and intake... not headers, yet. I understand I will not get the 170 whp... without swapping the engine. Suspension, sway bars, wheels and brakes, are on the list...

I was talking on terms of power, exhaust and intake... not headers, yet. I understand I will not get the 170 whp... without swapping the engine. Suspension, sway bars, wheels and brakes, are on the list...

I was also talking about exhaust and intake. First and foremost, you'd have to find an exhaust that fit; that wasn't too short because it was expecting to bolt onto a downpipe instead of directly to the headers. Secondly, all an exhaust will do will make your car louder; it won't gain you huge horsepower. An intake will, quite literally, kill your car. The only reason I am running an intake is because my car got tuned RIGHT after I put it on. In fact, on the baseline run on the dyno for my car, the car automatically adjusted its timing, causing a 7 to 10 horsepower drop, before the car could knock due to how lean it was running. Intakes on N/A Subarus are NOT a good idea unless you're a fan of running really lean and knocking your own engine to death. So, an intake might seem like a cheap mod for some cheap horsepower, however, the only way to make it work without replacing your engine is to get a tune from a reputable tuner. This can cost $500 for a base tune with open source software, and that's the low end as not every tuner can open source an N/A GH. You're most likely looking at $700 for a Cobb AccessPORT and then more money for the tune, just to run a $100 intake.

Headers won't really help either; you're already running equal length headers rather than the less efficient unequal length on the turbos. However, the Subaru community, which I am looking to get out of now because of what it is turning into, likes their unequal length headers as they provide that "Subaru rumble." Again, though, the turbo cars are more willing to sacrifice their horsepower for a particular sound because, just like everybody else in the community, they want to be different after going stage 2 with their exhaust and downpipe, and because they're stage 2, they have power to spare.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, or to rain on your parade, but you have to realize I don't throw something on my car without doing the research first. My car, for a variety of both tuners and aftermarket part suppliers, has been a mini-testbed for parts. I know what works, I know what doesn't work, and 95% of the time, I know WHY it doesn't work. I'm just trying to keep you from damaging your car. I don't think your wife would be very happy if your inexpensive little intake mod suddenly requires a brand new engine from Subaru... out of pocket.

Deltableh, and that is why I wrote. Like I said, I was following your thread and you have done what I want to do, however, It seems that that SPT Catback-Exhaust is out of the list and that K&N Intake. What Can I do? I just want to get the most all-around performance out of that all ready great car...

All around? Springs, sways, wheels and tires, brakes, and a heck of a lot of seat time. Don't touch your engine. It's just not worth it, as you're just throwing money in the rubbish bin.

Hey delta!

I know this thread is kinda old by now, but I just wanna say that I love the work you've done with your impreza! It truly is a beautiful car! I too am a proud owner of an 08 Impreza 2.5i although I have the sedan rather than the hatchback (I prefer the sedan, but I do like the hatchback too) :)

Anyway I just wanted to show some love for another 2.5i owner and tell you that I think what you've done with your car is inspiring and a model for other 2.5i owners to admire!

Hopefully I'll get some pics of my car uploaded soon to share as I just installed some nice shiny new wheels on her :)

You don't need shiny wheels. What you need is a few cans of fluorescent spray paint...

Glad everybody likes what my car used to look like. Right now, it's in significantly worse shape, after taking a drunk driver to the drivers' side, front bumper to rear.