My new project car: 1990 Mustang GT

Silverstar

Car(s)
'11 Impreza STI Sedan
Engine & Transmission completed, car running on Sept. 3, 2008

Well after conflicting myself for a year or so, trying to think of whether or not to mod the STI, I decided to buy a project car to keep myself from breaking the Subaru.

It's a 1990 Ford Mustang GT, 25th anniversary with the well known 5.0 that they all came with. It was $3500, with a lot of work go wise done to it by a guy that owns a tranny/service shop. He had gotten too busy with things and let it sit for a couple years, and just started using it in the past six months. Completely original body, never been in an accident. Runs and sounds like a beast!

***Old Setup***
Go:
*Edelbrock Performer RPM upper and lower intake manifold
*Edelbrock Performer RPM heads
*Ford Performance F-303 cam
*BBK Power Plus 75mm throttle body and EGR plate
*BBK Shorty headers
*BBK Cold air intake
*BBK Adjustable clutch cable
*Flowmaster 40 series Mufflers
*Urethane motor mounts
*MSD distrib. cap & rotor
*New Alternator
*New Water Pump
*Low-temp Theromstat
Other:
*Foglights
*Autometer Tach

***New Setup*** (Current as of Nov. '08)

Go:
351W to 408 stroker
Ford Racing 351W swap oil pan & pickup
Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, with complete re-work
Trick Flow R-Series intake manifolds
Hooker 351W swap headers
Clevite bearings
ARP hardware
Eagle Crank
Eagle Rods
Clay Smith Engineering Cam
Dished pistons
Melling Oil Pump
JW Performance "The Wheel" Flexplate
Canton Windage Tray
Trick Flow Fuel Pump
Trick Flow 32lb fuel injectors
32lb calibrated mass air meter
Engine Works Megafire custom cut plug wires
BBK 75mm throttle body
BBK Cold Air Intake
Crane Rocker arms

Trans:
Custom AOD transmission w/ shift kit
JW Performance 2200 stall converter
B&M shifter cable & hardware
B&M Hammer shifter
Lokar Kickdown Cable

Grip & Chassis:
BBK upper and lower control arms
Lakewood shocks & struts
Lakewood driveshaft safety loop
Eibach Drag Launch springs
Summit welded subframe connectors
Prothane urethane motor mounts

http://img338.imageshack.**/img338/5085/p1060809ue4.jpg

http://img263.imageshack.**/img263/6991/p1060813lo7.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.**/img508/2025/p1060827xv5.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.**/img338/4528/p1060821ti4.jpg

And it may be heavy, low-tech, pushrod engine american car, but it's got it where it counts. Paint is bad, tires are bad and it has a bit of rust around the fenders. But to be expected from an Iowa driven car. Already got tires in the garage going on them soon. It's going to be restored and turned into a track & show car, a lot of work is going to be done on it in the next 6-8 months, since winter will be rolling around soon.

Last edited:
Fretty sweet, I've always liked the fox bodied mustangs, and as a track car (for once) it should be pretty cool.... is it a 5 speed? If not, you should put that on your list :).

Personally I would've gone with the Camaro but that's just me.

Should be a fun project!

As much as I prefer the Camaro from that era, I do like that Mustang. Then again, I've always liked the look of a slightly battered early nineties muscle car.
When you repaint it, will you keep the colour scheme? I actually think the current one suits it very well.

Please tell me that it has (or is getting shortly) properly installed (i.e., welded) full length subframe connectors?

Fretty sweet, I've always liked the fox bodied mustangs, and as a track car (for once) it should be pretty cool.... is it a 5 speed? If not, you should put that on your list :).

Personally I would've gone with the Camaro but that's just me.

Should be a fun project!
I prefered the Camaro over the Mustang for a long time, but I just couldn't find a decent one that was still in good driving order, and a good price. Plus, my cousin has a 89 GT that I started to really like when I moved out here :D. They completely restored his from salvage condition, so they've got a lot of time on the Fox-body era 'stangs.
As much as I prefer the Camaro from that era, I do like that Mustang. Then again, I've always liked the look of a slightly battered early nineties muscle car.
When you repaint it, will you keep the colour scheme? I actually think the current one suits it very well.
The Fox-body really catches my eye for some reason, and I'm not really sure why yet. I think it's going to be painted close to sonic blue w/ silver lower body panels and stripes. Red just isn't a favorite, though they looked real nice brand new.
Please tell me that it has (or is getting shortly) properly installed (i.e., welded) full length subframe connectors?
No it doesn't at the moment, but I stopped by a friend that works at the metalshop downtown, and chatted with him about fixing the exhaust and weld in some subframe connectors this winter. Later this month I'll see how it reacts to slicks on the track, but no doubt it's going to need them.

Last edited:
Very nice! I also really like the foxbody, even though I'm a Chevy guy. Should make a very fun project car.

Nice!

Question - looks like the steering wheel installed has an airbag. Is that functional? My sister had an '88 GT, no airbag - so wondering if they appeared on the mustang as early as 1990. Seems a bit early.

Very nice! I also really like the foxbody, even though I'm a Chevy guy. Should make a very fun project car.
It's growing on me day by day, really can't wait to tear it apart really.:D
Nice start and glad to see another Fox on here! :D
I would have loved to take a look at an SVO, ever thinking of running a track in Iowa? :D
Nice!
Question - looks like the steering wheel installed has an airbag. Is that functional? My sister had an '88 GT, no airbag - so wondering if they appeared on the mustang as early as 1990. Seems a bit early.
It does, and AFAIK it's functional. '88s have them too from what I thought, with the older round two spoke steering wheel. But the Chilton's book I have is '89 and up, so I guess it could have changed after '88
damm that is some ugly shiat:D

super charger

DO IT

DO IT NOW

By no means my favorite car, but there is a lot a lot of potential in those cars, good luck with it!

Not until he gets the subframe connectors, or he'll instantly wreck it.

There's a reason why the Mustang GT was the fastest-wrecked car in America in that era.

A good project car, as the aftermarket still has alot of support for the Fox body.

Too bad it is not an LX 5.0... ;) A tech at work has one, dropped a Garrett T90 (or T80) into it, it is BAD. ASS.

Well, first parts are in.

Prothane Motion Control polyurethane motor mounts

http://img515.imageshack.**/img515/5267/p1060907aw4.jpg

The motor mounts in it at the moment are stock rubbers, both collapsed.

That and got A fog light, had no idea they were sold seperately:mrgreen:

Well, first parts are in.

Prothane Motion Control polyurethane motor mounts

The motor mounts in it at the moment are stock rubbers, both collapsed.

Why not just a set of stock convertible mounts?

That and got A fog light, had no idea they were sold seperately:mrgreen:

I bet you have an idea now... :lol:

Why not just a set of stock convertible mounts?
I thought about it, but with the power it has now and the price, might as well go harder. Plus I couldn't find any :D

Next week I think I'm going to be getting a new exhaust system. X-pipe w/ Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. Ones on there now has a leak at the H section of the pipe.