My new two-wheeled commuter (first brand new vehicle ever!)

Bubs360

Car(s)
'91 Sentra SE-R, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple 955i
Well, I never thought it would happen but I just purchased a brand new vehicle! Being without a motorbike this summer (Triple's out of commission, '86 Razz blew up), I decided it was worth a go. Basically, it's a butch version of the original Yamaha Zuma. This has a 125cc four-stroke, four valve SOHC single cylinder with fuel injection to boot!

This means that it will actually keep up with traffic, but still return 90-100mpg with a cruising speed of 55mph. I took it home today without even a mile on it, brand spankin' new. I have to break it in for around six hundred miles, so I haven't gotten it up to speed but it definitely has get-up-and-go even at one-third throttle and has plenty more to give at speeds that the '86 Razz was WOT.

Basically, it's a great all-round commuter. Cheap to run and cheap to insure, and a great way to establish my credit. I do not intend to rely on credit, but it will help if I eventually need to take out a home loan in the future.

DSCF7503.jpg

DSCF7508.jpg

Sweet, looks like a ton of fun.

Congrats! Welcome to the club dude!

BTW this thread makes me miss my scooter back home in India :( I LOVED it!

Sorry to hijack this thread but here are some pics..

http://img32.imageshack.**/img32/8206/blazerighthi.jpg

http://img32.imageshack.**/img32/3650/kineticblaze3.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.**/img41/6914/kineticblaze6.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.**/img41/3481/kineticitalianoblaze09.jpg

Yamaha :thumbup: :mrgreen:

And somehow, that scooter looks almost as ridiculous as the "epic 100$ moped"... but in a good way. :lol:

No Honda Ruckus love?

I would have, but 49cc isn't enough for the hills around here. I still think they are good little machines. I'd say it's mostly the dual headlights that look similar between the two. I love dual round headlights, they remind me of the Speed Triple. :mrgreen:

I would say that too about it being "out-there". It's like a big, butch scooter that will (apparently) smoke a lot of similar displacement motorcycles off the line. It's got a lot of styling cues from dirt bikes and street bikes alike.

Something like that would be extremely awesome, except that wouldn't it still require that you always wear leathers, helmet, etc. like on a motorcycle? Plus, carrying anything other than a satchel would be impossible. Not to mention, you better have nice weather where you live.

Plus, carrying anything other than a satchel would be impossible.

Those scooters usually have a storage area under the seat large enough for a helmet, and you can easily attach a top case like this to it, put a backpack on, and you've easily got enough space for anything you might need to haul around on a commute.

Not to mention, you better have nice weather where you live.

Now, that's just a question of willpower. :p

Something like that would be extremely awesome, except that wouldn't it still require that you always wear leathers, helmet, etc. like on a motorcycle? Plus, carrying anything other than a satchel would be impossible. Not to mention, you better have nice weather where you live.

Well, there's no legal requirement for leathers. Personally, I would wear my full face helmet, or my quarter helmet with sunglasses/clear glasses for (mandatory) eye protection, a good shirt and pants. This is not the type of thing that requires full gear. Besides, I think I would get some serious shit if I rolled up in full leather or a riding suit on this thing. :p

My state doesn't have a helmet law, but I wear one for my own safety and for the peace of mind of my family. I've got to respect the wishes of my parents and elders.

Also, I've rode real motorcycles through hail storms, serious thunder storms and such. I'm not going to take it out if I know that it's going to rain, but it's not the end of the world if I get caught in it. I'm pretty confident in my abilities in low-grip conditions on two wheels. I'm not saying that I'm never going to crash, it's bound to happen eventually, I'm just saying that I've had to ride in all weather short of tornado or hurricane weather. :lol:

Edit: Oh, and it has very nice underseat storage with enough room for a full-face helmet while still being able to close the seat.

Last edited:
First off, nice scooter. Looks well-built and maybe you could squeeze a little sportiness out of it sometimes, as it isn't ridiculously underpowered like most scooters. Also, it's a Yamaha. :cool:

Also, I've rode real motorcycles through hail storms, serious thunder storms and such. I'm not going to take it out if I know that it's going to rain, but it's not the end of the world if I get caught in it. I'm pretty confident in my abilities in low-grip conditions on two wheels. I'm not saying that I'm never going to crash, it's bound to happen eventually, I'm just saying that I've had to ride in all weather short of tornado or hurricane weather. :lol:

Edit: Oh, and it has very nice underseat storage with enough room for a full-face helmet while still being able to close the seat.

I personally enjoy riding in bad weather, yes you get wet/snowed and it can be a bit scary but still... riding in the weather is that unique feeling you get from riding a motorcycle times ten, particularly when you "know" your bike enough to go at a decent pace and still lean-in corners.

Just my view, though. I'm weird that way.:)

The weather sucks today still, but it's not raining so I went out for another break-in ride. It's funny seeing the looks on people's faces as I pass them in traffic on a scooter. :lol:

DSCF7512.jpg

DSCF7513.jpg

DSCF7516.jpg

DSCF7517.jpg

DSCF7518.jpg

Here's my ride.
japanese_scooter_custom_001.jpg

Ok not really. It's ugly.

Haha! I was gonna say. :p

Old scoot, new scoot.
DSCF7520.jpg

426 miles even as of today and I've enjoyed every single one. 90-100 real-world MPG is another plus.

DSCF7530.jpg

DSCF7531.jpg

DSCF7533.jpg

DSCF7535.jpg

DSCF7537.jpg

Yeah, it's supremely cool and all, but those indicators...
DSCF7508.jpg

They're screaming at me:

"Dur-hur hur. I'm a BIG boy NOW." :clap::dance:

This is not the type of thing that requires full gear.

Andreas Pininfarina (yes, that Pininfarina) thought the same thing about riding his scooter.

He was dead wrong. And so are you.

Scooters are still a motorcycle variant. Sure, they don't need a full set of race leathers to ride, but you do need a full set of riding gear. They make stuff specifically for scooter riders that's easy to put on, take off, and stow.

All the gear, all the time. We take enough chances on the road with the idiots, no need to increase the odds against us when the inevitable happens. Especially when you're on a small scooter like that and don't have the power to rocket out of harm's way.

Andreas Pininfarina (yes, that Pininfarina) thought the same thing about riding his scooter.

He was dead wrong. And so are you.

Scooters are still a motorcycle variant. Sure, they don't need a full set of race leathers to ride, but you do need a full set of riding gear. They make stuff specifically for scooter riders that's easy to put on, take off, and stow.

All the gear, all the time. We take enough chances on the road with the idiots, no need to increase the odds against us when the inevitable happens. Especially when you're on a small scooter like that and don't have the power to rocket out of harm's way.

What I would like to know about Pininfarina's death is whether or not he was wearing a full face helmet, or a helmet at all. I wear a full face helmet, long pants (not shorts), and a long sleeved shirt, or a leather jacket if it rains. I also wear actual boots, not sneakers. I'm sorry, but I don't see any need for a $500 kevlar reinforced suit on a scooter. If I get killed, and it was directly due to the lack of a reinforced suit, I give you the right to laugh and say to everyone that you warned me.

I won't even get started on the flak I get from people for even wearing boots and a full-face helmet. The way I see it, I'm still better off than all of the squids on their GSX-Rs and Hayabusas wearing backwards baseball caps, bermuda shorts, tank tops and skate shoes.

Also, FleeceLINER, I don't take any offense to what you said, but I don't understand the issue with the indicators. One tells you that your blinkers are on, one for high beams, one for check engine (since it's fuel injected).

Last edited: