My other job is being a Top Gear presenter

James, more than the others, seems to be getting more and more uncomfortable with the caricature of himself on Top Gear. This is the 2nd or 3rd article with that tone in recent months.

James, more than the others, seems to be getting more and more uncomfortable with the caricature of himself on Top Gear. This is the 2nd or 3rd article with that tone in recent months.

I thought he was changing his character more on the show itself- in S 13 he seemed a lot more fiesty and willing to stick up for himself, which was fun to watch.

I'm more worried about the fried spam thing than well, anything else.

{ shudders }

...although not the comment about the 16-year-old steak and kidney pudding. Last year I finished a tub of curry powder. The use by date had long since disappeared but there was an offer with a closing date of 31st December 1997. I'm still alive, and I suspect James will be if he eats that pudding as an 80-year-old.

Fried spam works great with beans and a cheap French white wine, which for some reason suddenly gets better when consumed with fried spam and canned beans. This was advice given in Oz and James series 1, and I confirmed it on a college road trip. Highly recommended.

Fried spam works great with beans and a cheap French white wine, which for some reason suddenly gets better when consumed with fried spam and canned beans. This was advice given in Oz and James series 1, and I confirmed it on a college road trip. Highly recommended.

Oddly, that doesn't sound too bad.

On its own, though, fried spam sounds like something from the state fair that'd be sold next to the deep-fried butter, haha. :p (...which is probably why the old pudding didn't raise an eyebrow.)

To each his own, I guess...

Last edited:
We all have our "weird" foods that we like. I'm actually a fan of the neon orange mac and cheese from the blue box. I know it's garbage, but it's still good. That doesn't mean I don't also like real, crafted, homemade mac and cheese as well though. Fried spam sounds nasty to me, but that's because I don't like meat really at all. Who am I to judge?

On its own, though, fried spam sounds like something from the state fair that'd be sold next to the deep-fried butter, haha. :p (...which is probably why the old pudding didn't raise an eyebrow.)

Nah, there's no batter on fried spam. Call it "sauteed" or "pan-seared" if it makes it more appetizing.

We all have our "weird" foods that we like. I'm actually a fan of the neon orange mac and cheese from the blue box. I know it's garbage, but it's still good. That doesn't mean I don't also like real, crafted, homemade mac and cheese as well though. Fried spam sounds nasty to me, but that's because I don't like meat really at all. Who am I to judge?

Have you ever tried fried Mac N Cheese? Surprisingly tasty. Not good for you at all, but tasty.

'' I?ve got this tinned steak and kidney pudding in the cupboard. The sell-by date is July 1993 but I?ve still got it and my plan is to eat it when I?m 80 and see if it kills me. I think it will be fine.?

I laughed my ass off reading this :D

want to have a nice family sunday dinner and can't afford the ham? there's a spam recipe for that...

Richard Hammond said:
We?ve talked about it and said there are a couple of ways to end this. One way would be by saying, ?That?s the end of the show, the series and that?s the end of Top Gear. Goodnight.?

And that?s it! :(

^ The thing is, if they do it that way, they MUST go out live. It wouldn't have any impact at all if the studio audience leaked it all over like that did with Stigmacher. Somehow I see the BBC being more than a little reluctant to allow those 3 to go out live.

Ok, now I want to buy some Heinz Sandwich Spread and fry up some Spam. (I knew I should have gotten some breakfast first!)

Nah, you want something good from the state fair that is deep fried? Go get a deep fried Oreo cookie. Now THAT is something that tastes good, but certainly not good for you. :lol:

Nah, there's no batter on fried spam. Call it "sauteed" or "pan-seared" if it makes it more appetizing.
Actually, spam (or at least the British version) is quite good battered and fried. Me old ma would use the same recipe for Yorkshire pud, dip the spam in that and fry it in a some oil. A side of fries, a drizzle of ketchup and you're good to go.

It use to be one of my favorite comfort foods. :)

spam (or at least the British version)

Y'know, not counting the various spinoff versions (low sodium etc), Spam may actually be the same worldwide. I say this because I think some multinational foods like Coke or some McDonalds stuff changes from country to country.

Y'know, not counting the various spinoff versions (low sodium etc), Spam may actually be the same worldwide. I say this because I think some multinational foods like Coke or some McDonalds stuff changes from country to country.
As I recall, James mentioned in the second wine program that American Spam was slightly sweeter than the British Spam. I also know that the Marmite we get in Canada is a bit thicker and not as smooth as the original English stuff, but I suspect that's due to it being produced here rather than actually being imported and sold.