My X just needs to stop.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
It's time for new pads and rotors on the XTerra and I'm planning to do the job myself to save a bit of cash.

Before I just run down to NAPA and buy whatever is on the shelf, I thought I would tap into the FinalGear hive mind - because frankly, there are a dizzying number of options out there.

Use:
The XTerra is my daily driver, but it also spends a lot of time out in the dirt. Dust, gravel, rocks, water crossings, mud, etc. will all be standard fare.

Stopping Power:
I'm about 1,000# heavier than stock. I also tow a small motorcycle trailer from time to time and load up on camping gear, food, water, fuel, etc.

Fancy shit:
I have heard that slotted and drilled rotors are prone to uneven and early pad wear, uneven rotor wear, and rotor cracks. That's not what I need three days from the nearest paved road. I also worry about those slots and holes trapping stones, mud, and other crap that will screw up the pads or rotors.

So, I'm open to suggestions. What should I look at, what should I avoid? What would be the best pad/rotor combo?

It's time for new pads and rotors on the XTerra and I'm planning to do the job myself to save a bit of cash.

Before I just run down to NAPA and buy whatever is on the shelf, I thought I would tap into the FinalGear hive mind - because frankly, there are a dizzying number of options out there.

Use:
The XTerra is my daily driver, but it also spends a lot of time out in the dirt. Dust, gravel, rocks, water crossings, mud, etc. will all be standard fare.

Stopping Power:
I'm about 1,000# heavier than stock. I also tow a small motorcycle trailer from time to time and load up on camping gear, food, water, fuel, etc.

Fancy shit:
I have heard that slotted and drilled rotors are prone to uneven and early pad wear, uneven rotor wear, and rotor cracks. That's not what I need three days from the nearest paved road. I also worry about those slots and holes trapping stones, mud, and other crap that will screw up the pads or rotors.

So, I'm open to suggestions. What should I look at, what should I avoid? What would be the best pad/rotor combo?

EBC makes a line of slotted and dimpled rotors that, because they aren't perforated all the way through, don't suffer from cracking issues.

GD-rotor-new-main1.jpg

Personally, it's the only type design I'd use when upgrading rotors on a heavy vehicle. I've seen too many 'upgrade' crossdrilled rotors crack under the stress - and even stock ones can have issues, namely the ones that don't have drill points cast into the swept area at the foundry. These are the ones that don't have any stress relief around the holes and you know what happens next. Unfortunately, this covers pretty much all non-stock and many stock crossdrilled rotors. Having seen the expensive damage that results even if you don't crash when your rotor cracks and shatters, yeah, not interested in it on a heavy vehicle.

I was thinking the Green Stuff pads would be best for my application since yellow and red seem to be more sports or track-oriented.

Damn, at $300+ these are not cheap.

Last edited:
Green Stuff pads are commonly sold for Land Rovers, I bought a set with some EBC discs but I was sent another brand so they went back and I didn't bother. Apparently they wear very fast if abrasive dirt or mud get in to them but I think you said you actively avoid those so should be fine.

Still don't understand why they're called rotors on a vehicle with disc brakes. Never heard of a car with rotor brakes. :p

Green Stuff pads are commonly sold for Land Rovers, I bought a set with some EBC discs but I was sent another brand so they went back and I didn't bother. Apparently they wear very fast if abrasive dirt or mud get in to them but I think you said you actively avoid those so should be fine.

Still don't understand why they're called rotors on a vehicle with disc brakes. Never heard of a car with rotor brakes. :p

Because they're the part of the system that rotates. :p