NBC/CBS reject "Kill the Ground Zero Mosque" ad

Heard about this uproar over the mosque on the radio this morning. The reactions from all the xenophobes was pretty startling, and this commercial's use of "THEY!" was pretty painful.

13 stories is a bit much, though. I'd say that about any religious building around the site.

Last edited:
From what I heard a few months ago, the project is still in the planning stages. They aren't even sure what they are doing, but it's more of a community recreation center than a mosque.

You said you agree with everything in the ad, and it says more than just that. Anyway, the proposed mosque/community center is not at ground zero...it's near ground zero. Two blocks away. What is a more reasonable distance for you? Maybe they should pass a law that no muslims should be allowed within a certain distance of ground zero...that would make it harder for them to celebrate the attacks.

You said you agree with everything in the ad, and it says more than just that.
That was the main idea though.

Anyway, the proposed mosque/community center is not at ground zero...it's near ground zero. Two blocks away. What is a more reasonable distance for you?
More than two blocks. By the way, there already is a mosque in Manhattan.

Maybe they should pass a law that no muslims should be allowed within a certain distance of ground zero...that would make it harder for them to celebrate the attacks.
Right, because that's exactly what I said :rolleyes: Do you really not understand why people might be opposed to having an enormous mosque so close to Ground Zero?

I can understand why people may pause when they first hear about it. That's besides the point. This ad isn't taking a rational approach to the situation. There is already a mosque in Manhattan, so what? So 2 blocks is the cutoff, then if they build it across the street it would be fine? Give me a break. It's so arbitrary.

And no, you didn't exactly say that...but you agreed with the sentiments of the ad which stated that the muslims who would use this facility are the muslims that celebrate the attacks.

Last edited:
That was the main idea though.
No, the main idea of that ad was to say "the towelheads are invading and we have to stop them!!1". If the main idea of the ad was to say "we don't want a religious structure on ground zero", then why did they spend the first 1/3 of the ad talking about "them" and "they" while flashing images of terrorists and their acts on the screen, not even referencing the mosque?

Right, because that's exactly what I said :rolleyes: Do you really not understand why people might be opposed to having an enormous mosque so close to Ground Zero?
No, but that's exactly what the ad implies, and you said you agree with everything the ad says.

You guys are taking things too literally. Alright, I'll play ball - I don't agree with literally every single word in the ad. There, happy? I don't go around calling every Muslim "they", either.

However, I do think that its baffling how anyone could possibly not be outraged at a proposal of a mosque being built in such proximity to Ground Zero.

I honestly never thought a single person here would agree with this ad. Sure, maybe you agree that there should be no mosque/community center there...but to agree with this ad sends shivers down my spine.

However, I do think that its baffling how anyone could possibly not be outraged at a proposal of a mosque being built in such proximity to Ground Zero.

Like I said earlier, I can somewhat understand why people may be concerned. If this was right next to ground zero, even more so. But at the end of the day, this is the United States...it's basic 1st Amendment rights.

Last edited:
Freedom of religion, and we aren't xenophobes?

You guys are taking things too literally. Alright, I'll play ball - I don't agree with literally every single word in the ad. There, happy? I don't go around calling every Muslim "they", either.

Then you need to be more careful with your wording.

I don't think that it's a good place for a mosque either, but I wouldn't go so far as to legally disallow it. If anyone can stop it it's the local community and other people speaking out, preferably using less xenophobic ads.

And you're either monumentally ignorant or backpedaling. I guess when you said "everything it says and stands for", we should have known you meant "not everything it says and stands for". Our bad. Sorry.

Are you going to say that we're taking what you say "out of context", too, just to pull a total Sarah Palin?

Outraged? Hardly. I could see why you'd be truly outraged... if you were a xenophobic bigot, sure.

Last edited:
This has been financed by a major party?!

IMO this is seriousy fucked up. The ad generalizes that badly, we actually have a word for it.
I'm not a Friend of any church but as long as followers of other religons and even cults are allowed to build facilities pretty much wherever they want you can't ignore a world religion like Islam.

By the way, there already is a mosque in Manhattan.
And, AFAIK, hundreds of christian churches.

The whole idea is to establish a dialogue and create some understanding for religions other than your own one and I don't think that can hurt anyone. Especially in the US

To be honest, I'm not for a religious anything being built near ground zero...or anywhere else for that matter. But that being said, I don't really care if it gets put there or not, though I can certainly see why people would want to bitch.

I honestly never thought a single person here would agree with this ad. Sure, maybe you agree that there should be no mosque/community center there...but to agree with this ad sends shivers down my spine.
I agree that there should not be a mosque built near Ground Zero. I have yet to say that all Muslims are terrorists and that "they" will dance around Ground Zero in cheer.

Like I said earlier, I can somewhat understand why people may be concerned.
Alright, then you can see where I'm coming from.

And you're either monumentally ignorant or backpedaling. I guess when you said "everything it says and stands for", we should have known you meant "not everything it says and stands for". Our bad. Sorry.
I was looking at the general message which was regarding the mosque at a specific location.

Are you going to say that we're taking what you say "out of context", too, just to pull a total Sarah Palin?
lol?

Outraged? Hardly. I could see why you'd be truly outraged... if you were a xenophobic bigot, sure.
Or if you had no respect at all for the thousands that died at Ground Zero.

This has been financed by a major party?!
IMO this is seriousy fucked up.
Agreed.

I'm not a Friend of any church but as long as followers of other religons and even cults are allowed to build facilities pretty much wherever they want you can't ignore a world religion like Islam.
All religions are retarded, imo, and I wouldn't want to see a Church, Synagogue, or Buddhist temple at Ground Zero. However, I think a Mosque deserves special treatment in this case.

And, AFAIK, hundreds of christian churches.
Well you're exaggerating but I see your point. To me its just disrespectful to build a Mosque near Ground Zero, that's all.

Last edited:
Right, Captain Norway to the rescue!

Either you don't have any religious building within a radius of ground zero, or you allow all, be it scientology or islam or the flying spaghetti monster.

Singling out Islam is a fucking shame, it's despickable to use the tragedy of 9/11 for teological and ideological gain, as this group is doing. They try to paint "islam" as the purpotraitor of 9/11, which is so stupid I won't even get started on that.

Can I understand that some people get upset over it? Sure. Do I think it should dictate anything? Noooo.

Alright, then you can see where I'm coming from.
What are your concerns about a mosque near Ground Zero, exactly?

However, I think a Mosque deserves special treatment in this case.
Why? Islam didn't destroy the World Trade Towers.