Need help choosing a cell phone!!

bobo_1314

I'm planning to get a new phone as my Panasonic X700 isn't very reliable. I'm probably going to get a Nokia, because I've owned a few before and they were very reliable. I'm thinking to get the 3250, but there's no official date as to when it'll be available. I might be considering the 8800 as well, but the camera seems to be crappy. So my choice is really between the 3250 and the 8800. Would you guys kindly give me some opinions as to which one to consider, and also any other alternative brands/models I should look into as well? Thank you so much!!

Nokia 3250

http://img206.imageshack.**/img206/1295/nokia32506tw.jpg

Nokia 8800

http://img206.imageshack.**/img206/9282/nokia88000qm.jpg

The 3250 is just weird.

And the 8800 is pure overpriced wank.

Don't get me wrong, it is cool, but AU $1500 for that! It is designed for the people who want to go "look at my cool surgical grade steel phone, it has ringtones composed by Oscar winning composers etc." :thumbsdown:

I've also got to consider a new phone soon - my SE T610 is really giving up on me... the joystick died months ago and now the phone turns itself off whenever it feels like it.
I'd really like another SE phone - this one is my second Sony phone and they've been great things - the old one still works reliably. But I've not really got on with any of the current SE range in testing.

Therefore I considered the Samsung D600 (also a slide open phone but smaller than both these Nokia's) which I found to be a neat phone. TBH I can't judget either of those Nokias as I've not tried either of them but I don't think much of the organizer side of Nokia's software which I consider to be important.

Anyway, basically you forgot something very important in your request. What do you really consider important on your phone? In my case, I just want a reliable phone for calls and SMS with good battery life and preferably a good calendar function... and that's it.

So to answer your question, we really need to know what's your priority? If it's camera then that's important to know as it is a big determining factor in different phones. Judging from what you wrote it seems that the camera is fairly important to you, but then you're considering a phone with a camera that's not quite so great so... I mean, if a camera is very important to you, I've found the Sony Ericsson cameras to be somewhat better than the Nokia ones. If MP3 playback is more important then probably a Motorola or Sony Ericsson...

Edit:
Janus said:
The 3250 is just weird.

And the 8800 is pure overpriced wank.

Don't get me wrong, it is cool, but AU $1500 for that! It is designed for the people who want to go "look at my cool surgical grade steel phone, it has ringtones composed by Oscar winning composers etc." :thumbsdown:

Oh yeah, I'm with Janus on both these points. And frankly I think that the overpriced wank comment extends to the overpopular Motorola V300 which has an awful menu system and unresponsive keys.

monkeymax said:
I've also got to consider a new phone soon - my SE T610 is really giving up on me... the joystick died months ago and now the phone turns itself off whenever it feels like it.
I'd really like another SE phone - this one is my second Sony phone and they've been great things - the old one still works reliably. But I've not really got on with any of the current SE range in testing.

Therefore I considered the Samsung D600 (also a slide open phone but smaller than both these Nokia's) which I found to be a neat phone. TBH I can't judget either of those Nokias as I've not tried either of them but I don't think much of the organizer side of Nokia's software which I consider to be important.

Anyway, basically you forgot something very important in your request. What do you really consider important on your phone? In my case, I just want a reliable phone for calls and SMS with good battery life and preferably a good calendar function... and that's it.

So to answer your question, we really need to know what's your priority? If it's camera then that's important to know as it is a big determining factor in different phones. Judging from what you wrote it seems that the camera is fairly important to you, but then you're considering a phone with a camera that's not quite so great so... I mean, if a camera is very important to you, I've found the Sony Ericsson cameras to be somewhat better than the Nokia ones. If MP3 playback is more important then probably a Motorola or Sony Ericsson...

I think the most important thing I look for is reliability; I want a phone that can be used in emergency situations!! I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in the winter, and I wanted to make a call using my cell phone (Panasonic X700). For some stupid reason, the phone did not work!! It was probably a software issue, but I've tried resetting and everything and still no luck. I brought it back to the retailer, but because there is no Panasonic mobile repair service in Ontario, I couldn't do anything. So my first priority is reliability. As for the camera, I'm just looking for something better than the one my phone has right now.

I have a W800i, after owning 2 Nokias (an N-Gage and a 6230), it's easily the best phone i've ever owned. u should look into them. If u are after 3G, i believe that sony has released a W900i.

flyingfridge said:
an N-Gage

Seriously man, what the hell were you thinking!!! :lol:

hell yes, the N-Gage was an excellent phone. It was easily better than the 6230 i had after it. Nothin is cooler than sidetalkin'...

Nah the sidetalkin' wasn't cool, but everything else as a phone was exceptional. I bought it to play games as well, and all the games were shit.

The 8800 is the biggest flop ive ever seen.. lol dont get it, it only looks good.

I have a Nokia N90, best phone ive ever used so far :)

bobo_1314 said:
I think the most important thing I look for is reliability; I want a phone that can be used in emergency situations!! I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in the winter, and I wanted to make a call using my cell phone (Panasonic X700). For some stupid reason, the phone did not work!! It was probably a software issue, but I've tried resetting and everything and still no luck. I brought it back to the retailer, but because there is no Panasonic mobile repair service in Ontario, I couldn't do anything. So my first priority is reliability. As for the camera, I'm just looking for something better than the one my phone has right now.

nokia-5140-f-5b808cffe6064.jpg

unlike that high technology garbage, this will work ALLWAYS

flyingfridge said:
I have a W800i, after owning 2 Nokias (an N-Gage and a 6230), it's easily the best phone i've ever owned. u should look into them. If u are after 3G, i believe that sony has released a W900i.

the W800i is an awesome phone... used my bro's W800i for 2 weeks when my Samsung Died on me... love it, I actually thought about buying one, but then the xda IIs bought over my heart when I was looking for a new phone :D

I'm with bone, love the nokia 5 series phones, on my 3rd now, and all 3 are still working fine! Plus they make you look macho :D Kinda....

I have the older version of the Nokia phone Bone posted, been using it for around four years now, and haven't had any problems with it.
Only thing is, the screen is a bit scratched, but I can live with it :(
It was with me always when in the army too so it took some bumps and shocks, works great though.

Thanks for the ideas guys!!

Bone's recommendation of the Nokia phone is great, but is there anything that's reliable and a bit more fashionable than that phone? Reliability aside, I was considering something slightly more better-looking than the red Nokia phone.

But it's got a torch! And a compass!

9710280.jpg

Mate has that if you want good looking, really smart phone.

Greatgraddage said:
But it's got a torch! And a compass!

9710280.jpg

Mate has that if you want good looking, really smart phone.

I've seen these in the stores. I've never been sure how the hell to use them. How do you text message with them! :?

Yes, it's a PocketPC and a phone... I've got a similar one. There's lots of them around... the good thing about this specific line of them is that they aren't bricks. You can get satnav on them as well.