Need help from Scots, and maybe Brits

Koenig

I was watching No Reservations today, and Tony is in Edinburgh in a chip shop, and he's a got a bright orange soda-like drink. The name of it sounded like iron brew, but I didn't get a look at the label. What is this drink exactly?

I read all that stuff, but I wanted insider info seeing as how we have lots of Scots and Brits on the forums.

We have it here, but the Scots drink tons of the stuff. It tastes... I can't really describe the taste, kinda fruity-ish.

Yeah Irn Bru is great stuff. I can't describe the taste either though. :?

I read all that stuff, but I wanted insider info seeing as how we have lots of Scots and Brits on the forums.

It's Irn Bru, Scotland's other national drink.

It doesn't taste of any fruit (in the way that Fanta is orange). It is more sugary than most soft drinks. I love it with a passion. I'd love to describe it more, and taste it, but I can't get any bloody Bru in this stupid city.

When McDonalds first opened up in Scotland, they didn't have Irn Bru for sale. McD's was boycotted by a large number of Scottish people until they took it in.

Irn Bru is (most of the time, although it's a close-run thing with Coke) Scotland's best selling national drink, making it one of a few countries where neither Coke nor Pepsi are the #1

I believe it's illegal in the US due to one food colouring or additive.

On that note, if spilt it's very difficult to get out of clothes - it is bright orange in colour.

There is also diet Irn Bru (low sugar) and Irn Bru 32 - an energy drink version. You can get it in a mixer with vodka, and irn bru and tequila is a favourite combination of a friend (with gold tequila, the colours match, you see).

Irn Bru also do fantastic TV ads - see here, here, here, here, here and especially here.

Irn Bru FTW! Difficult to get down here but possible.

/EDIT VIMTO is good too.

Last edited:
Nice, just found this place in town that sells it at $2.49/bottle. The lady over the phone described Irn-Bru to me as "a cross between cream soda and Orange Crush". Definately gonna go pick up a bottle when I'm in the area.

And what, pray tell, is VITMO?

Well nothings coming up on google, so yes, more details pl0x!

What teeb didn't mention is that every Glaswegian knows what a good idea it is to carry a bottle of Irn-Bru at all times. So that when you wake up in the gutter the next morning, it's always there as a handy hangover eradicator. I have this on good word from a fiftysomething Glaswegian who's seen it, done it and stained the t-shirt bright orange.

It also contains quinine, so if the UK is ever hit by an outbreak of malaria... no worries for the Scots.

A.G. Barr are also responsible for Tizer, who have had some equally wacky adverts over the years. There's probably a few on Youtube.

"Made in Scotland, from girders" as i seem to remember. For years i thought "girders" was the name of the company :D

Quite difficult to get outside of Scotland and impossible until just a few years ago. Certainly when i first left Scotland 14-yrs ago you wouldn't find it anywhere but now it does pop up in a few strange places. I haven't had it in quite a while now so i forgotten a bit about its flavour although i do seem to remember it was very sweet.

Word was that the secret receipe was only known to a select few, who would never travel together. I think its the same kind of deal with Coca Cola and the Royal Family.

Word is also, Nessie is a big fan!

I just sent them an email to see if they had a sample program.