New 2010 Ford 4.4-liter diesel engine scooped!

Jag probably won't be getting it as they're now Tata Motors.

that'd depends on what type of arrangement they put in when they signed the sales contract through... surely Tata would've wants to buy mechanical stuff from Ford, in which Ford would happily sell to them as Ford needed the cash~?

and it wouldn't be the first time co-operation still existed after a sale was made...

I believe Ford has a multi year supply contract with Tata, so it wouldn't be out of the question. To be honest though the idea of a diesel powered Jaguar is just wrong.

I believe Ford has a multi year supply contract with Tata, so it wouldn't be out of the question. To be honest though the idea of a diesel powered Jaguar is just wrong.

I would love to see either the 3.6 liter TDV8 in a Jag or 4.4 liter V8. The TDV8 in the Land Rovers is already nearly as fast as the Naturally aspirated AJV8 but gets about 10 mpg better on the highway.

Just imagine that same engine in a vehicle that weighs almost 2,000 lbs less.

Last edited:

Jaguar had a diesel available in the X-type and S-type (neither in the US). And Jaguar is a car company like any other, if they want to get back on their feet they're going to need to cater to more people. Just about every one of their main competitors has a diesel option in their compact and midsized sedans.

Erm... it was "catering to more people" that got Jaguar in trouble in the first place.

Perhaps you think Ferrari should make a minivan to "cater to more people" as well?

Erm... it was "catering to more people" that got Jaguar in trouble in the first place.

Perhaps you think Ferrari should make a minivan to "cater to more people" as well?

I think that is over simplifying things just a bit. A lot of things got Jaguar in trouble and catering to more people is just the latest thing and quite possibly the smallest one too.

I would love to see either the 3.6 liter TDV8 in a Jag or 4.4 liter V8. The TDV8 in the Land Rovers is already nearly as fast as the Naturally aspirated AJV8 but gets about 10 mpg better on the highway.

Just imagine that same engine in a vehicle that weighs almost 2,000 lbs less.

Agreed that TDV8 is a great engine, Jag really need to re-do there engine range as they've been around for years.

As for Jag catering to more people, they really could do with a proper 3-series killer, the X-type just wasn't seeing as it was a Mondeo and looked like it was from the 50s. an X...E? C? something like that could really help Jag I think. They need to become a more serious contender to BMW and Merc.

EDIT: Oh yeah on the actual topic, that looks like a smart engine! we need more diesel V8s!

Well what I meant to say was that Jaguar needs to convince more people to buy their cars instead of opting for a BMW. I don't suggest that they start making supermini's and pickup trucks, but what's wrong with offering a diesel engine in a few of their cars?

^ Going to have to me thinks - I know it is not classic Jaguar but all of Europe is going Diesel I am afraid. If you do more than about 15,000 miles per year it has got to be the way to go.

diesel are more powerful and yet more fuel economical, what's wrong with that~?

just because a diesel doesn't rev doesn't mean it's gay, move on to the 21st century... even Alfa hv to offer diesel (and they sell pretty well), and I'd consider Alfa to be a brand that've more "soul and passion" than Jaguar~

A Ferrari is a Ferrari, a Jaguar is just a car.

This all looks like great news to me! I'm excited for the new generation Ford F-150/Dodge Ram 1500's to be available with diesels, why didn't they think of this sooner! Also there is word floating around that the new generation Dodge Ram 1500 will be available with a Cummins Turbodiesel in 2010 that gets around 20mpg city and 25mpg on the highway.

I wonder if GM has any plans to put a diesel in their half-tons any time soon.:|

I wonder if GM has any plans to put a diesel in their half-tons any time soon.

Yes, a 4.5 L V8.