New bike ideas for Argatoga

The problem with BMW is the cost to maintain.

The Griso is on the top of my list. I do wish it weighed a bit less.

I do like this party trick (50 seconds in):

:p

Last edited:
is that a Harley twin?

- - - Updated - - -

As a note, 95% of my riding will be done in Seattle (rainy urban environment). This makes ABS a plus (but not a requirement).

Cue Spectre description of the quality of the BMW shaft drive...

And the transmission. And the electrical system.

At this point, if you want a bike that lives in the shop all the time, get a BMW. Don't believe me, go look at ADVrider or the BMW forums. Lots and lots and lots of problems with things that should not be problems at this stage of development.

Sorry, forgot to look at the Yamaha's.

The FJR1300A, costs 15 and change to own, has a powerful engine for lots of fun, and is shaft driven. It does weigh a stout 644lbs, but ditch the stock exhaust system and the bags, and you'll have a much lighter machine.

2012+Yamaha+FJR1300.jpg

You could also copy CrazyJeeper and get a Tenere. Haven't heard any complaints from him, and it's also one of the lighter shaft driven bikes on the market at 575lbs wet. MSRP is 14,500. May not be good if you're on the short side, though.

2012-yamaha-super-tenere%201.jpg

You could also copy CrazyJeeper and get a Tenere. Haven't heard any complaints from him, and it's also one of the lighter shaft driven bikes on the market at 575lbs wet. MSRP is 14,500. May not be good if you're on the short side, though.

The bold is the reason why I haven't suggested one. :p I'm sure Argatoga could manage it with the seat in the low position though which gives a seat height of 33.3" Figure it'll sag another inch and you could probably get both toes down or one foot fully down.

Plus, for 2013, it is now available in white. :drool:

Though, I am still quite fond of my blue one.

IMG_1601-XL.jpg

As for mechanical issues? Some people complain that the engine is restricted in the first 3 gears, but I haven't ever wanted for more power. But there aren't any actual mechanical problems that anyone has found yet. You change the oil every 4k, adjust the valves every 26k and keep it in gas and tires, and that is it.

I'm 5'8" so no tall bikes for me.

Nope, those are all chain drive.

Aren't these shaft drive?

big_1_yamaha_vmax_2009_18.jpg

Yes - but it's a cruiser, it's over the weight limit and it costs $20K.

I'm using the excuse of my bike's now dead ignition system to buy something new now. The V7 is at the top of my list due to its weight. I don't need sub 3 second speeds in Seattle.

I'm using the excuse of my bike's now dead ignition system to buy something new now. The V7 is at the top of my list due to its weight. I don't need sub 3 second speeds in Seattle.
Any model in particular? Stone's the cheapest and, in my opinion, the best looking. I think the only mechanical difference among the V7's is the Racer's clubman bars and slightly-more-rearward sets.

The V7's power to weight ratio and size are pretty similar to the KZ550 I used to own. Small enough not to be a pain in town, powerful enough to run down the highway. A nice compromise if you only want one bike.