New model, Old parts!

thedguy

rides with Rebecca Black.. in the back
Car(s)
(OO=[][]=OO)
Ok this crappy tag line from Fast & Furious had me thinking when I first heard it "If a car company used that the car would fail miserably." But after thinking about it and realizing that many people are screaming far cars like those from back in the day, what cars would do well, or at least be thought of as a good idea if they just started selling it again, maybe with some minor* tweaks (like the South African VW Citi).

First ones that come to mind are the E30 based M3, every time BMW's are compared every article always decided the original M3 is bar far the best driving car.

Datsun 240z and just for the looks the Toyota 2000GT. With the hype around GT-R's I'm sure Nissan could make a killing on RePro R32 GT-R's here in the US.

*a minor tweak is something like different dampers/springs, perhaps as far as fuel injection, or Right/Left had drive conversions. Basically things to improve reliability, no "240z but with an RB26det".

Last edited:
During the gap between the Z32 and the Z33, Nissan was actually selling completely restored/remanufactured 240Zs, with the odometers (legally) set back to 0. That could be considered doing that already.

I think the Series III XJ (with some modernizations to the electrics and such) would actually still well. And, of course, the E-Type. (duh.)

Others that come to mind: Mk IV Supra, the RWD Celicas and the AE86 Corolla, the 240SX, and the last Fiero GT.

The Golf II, or for that, the Citi Golf (aka Golf I) outside South Africa. Two of the best cars ever. Sadly, there's no way to get them through EU crash tests.

^what he said. I'd kill to be able to have a Mk 2 Golf with a more modern engine...

During the gap between the Z32 and the Z33, Nissan was actually selling completely restored/remanufactured 240Zs, with the odometers (legally) set back to 0. That could be considered doing that already.

You MUST tell me how to find them!

MR2 might do well but that might be difficult since some people (me) like the SW20 and others the AW11. Then there was MR-S which I wanted to melt down with a nuke but some people liked it.

Eleanor would obviously sell well and Shelby actually did make a huge number of them after Gone in 60 seconds. R34 GT-R would be a no brainer but then who'd buy the R35?

Pretty much any classic car would obviously work.

Problem is that alot of people value classics specifically because they are rare and are no longer manufactured and starting to make them would probably lower their values.

Last edited:
mk2geel.jpg

I'd buy one.

Toyota reproduced some AE86:s for the Initial D live action film? I'd love one.

Classic RWD Celicas, 240Zs and Golfs are definitely up there. Since, for some reason, I've been on a truck kick lately, I'd like to nominate the 1967-1972 GM C/K pickup. Or even the 1973-1987 C/Ks. Over the last 20 years trucks have gotten pointlessly (comicly?) huge. No one needs a half-ton that can pull 5 tons. I think there would be a market for a real, simple, easy to maintain truck that you could actually drive around town without running someone over. Or maybe I'm just projecting. :lol:
109-0943_IMG.JPG

If we could get those classic colors too, man that would be great. :puke:

Last edited:
One thing I loved about late 60's early 70's trucks from GM and Ford is that they are so wide that you can stand IN the engine bay while working on them.

And you can smuggle immigrants across the border in there without much issue :p

If we could get those classic colors too, man that would be great. :puke:

I remember a conversation a couple of years ago I had with my brother where I mentioned that no one does 2-tone paint jobs anymore. I think fullsize trucks were the last ones.

Also, I'll take one of these with modern mechanicals:
111_1979_Lincoln_Town%20Car_1.jpg

Last edited:
You MUST tell me how to find them!

Their initial goal was to make 200 of them, but due to lack of marketing and therefore interest, they stopped after 40.

http://www.geocities.com/~z-car/rebuild.html

You can still get one, though - Pierre'Z Service Center can still make you one, though it'll be more like $35K instead of the $25K Nissan was selling them for.

Can I have a new Citroen SM please?

If it weren't for the hugely dated styling now, I think a Maserati Ghibli II could do quite well with ceramic turbos, a timing belt that lasts longer than 48k miles and a fuse box that doesn't delaminate itself and fail after a couple of years.

Or perhaps I just really want a "reliable" biturbo and I know it ain't going to happen.

Also, the Alfa Milano/75 with their more simple/modern interior updates could do well. Plus since Alfa stuck with that V6 for years after there is no excuse for not bumping up the power a bit :thumbsup:

The Datsun 510 could damn near make the list, but the old A series engine just ain't up to modern standards.

The Datsun 510 could damn near make the list, but the old A series engine just ain't up to modern standards.

That's an easy fix. People have been dropping the L-series engines out of the Z line into them for decades, and more recently have been installing VGs and VQs into them. :D

[youtube]kl75pIjbOL0[/youtube]

In this day and age, I think fun, reliable, cheap, bare bones cars would sell well.

Something like a 1987 Mazda 323, with EFI.

BMW need to make a super entry level car that goes for like $15K and has absolutly no features, but is super light and fun to drive. Even sell it under a different name. Something like a late 80s 318is

Also a gen II RX-7 with some minor styling updates to make it more modern would sell well I think.

That would be the Kia Rio.

But the Kia Rio, is ugly, slow, and lame.

The 323, is peppy, fun, and (I think) it's actually a good looking car.

cosmo.jpg

With 16x power.

Do concept cars count?
ford_=gt-90_r6.jpg

:woot: