New model, Old parts!

1987 Mazda 323 0-60: 10.0. (The automatic is 1.1 seconds slower)
2009 Kia Rio 0-60: 9.4.

Sorry. The 323 is slower.

I realise that the 323 is slow. but it's peppy. Something about it makes it fun to drive. The Kia is not. It's sluggish and drousy.

My #1 pick for a "new" old car is...
1957%20Mercedes%20300SL%20Gullwing%200043.JPG

That with all modern technology and a 5.5L or 6.2L AMG V8 would just be serious business! :D Oh yea!

1 problem, they'd likely have to redevelop much of the car to handle the power, and probably fit the shape of the v8.

The idea here is to be able to re-introduce the car with only simple things to make the car more modern. Full on engine swaps are out, unless they are like GM LS v8's in old V8 cars or Mazda Rotaries. Those 2 continued to use similar engine mountings and parts over the years.

My #1 pick for a "new" old car is...
1957%20Mercedes%20300SL%20Gullwing%200043.JPG

That with all modern technology and a 5.5L or 6.2L AMG V8 would just be serious business! :D Oh yea!

You know what would really suit that car? Camo paint. :cool:

I realise that the 323 is slow. but it's peppy. Something about it makes it fun to drive. The Kia is not. It's sluggish and drousy.

That would be the slightly snarly exhaust the 323 came with. Otherwise, they're both just about the same. I don't actually find either one much fun to drive.

Ok, don't really want to multi-quote here but...

@Spectre: What do you have against the NX2000? I find it to be awesome, in a very weird way :)

@bartboy9891: I agree that the 3000GT was quite heavy, but I dare you to tell me that it was uncool!

@DanRom: I agree about the Polo. The VW Polo has been degrading in coolness over the years. The latest one is still pretty much the same mechanically as my 98 6N1...only the new one is quite a lot heavier. IMO, the 6N1 was the best Polo, because it balanced new technology, was still relatively light and looked really modern.

That would be the slightly snarly exhaust the 323 came with. Otherwise, they're both just about the same. I don't actually find either one much fun to drive.

No, it's a bit more than that... a GT Beetle feels a little sporty, and it's damn slow in stock form. Where the Kia Rio has the numbers, it hasn't got the feel or the sound.

Ill take one of these

FORD-CELEBRATES-45TH-ANNIVERSARY-OF.jpg

with one of these plz

(have a paper towel ready to wipe up drool before unspoilering)

Ford-Mustang-Camm-55-1152.jpg

Last edited:
I have to agree, the R33 looks the best imho.

More sleek and as thedguy said, cleanest =P

@bartboy9891: I agree that the 3000GT was quite heavy, but I dare you to tell me that it was uncool!

It was kind of cool. If it was stripped down, it could have been a seriously quick car. And they can be made into seriously quick cars:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOetWUV9Ow8[/YOUTUBE]

And there is the problem with NASCAR, it's a brand new engine design in the 21st century and it looks like someone just did a nice job of cleaning up a 302.

And there is the problem with NASCAR, it's a brand new engine design in the 21st century and it looks like someone just did a nice job of cleaning up a 302.

Hey now, at least this year's engines are finally using electric ignition instead of pilot lights! :mrgreen:

... it looks like someone just did a nice job of cleaning up a 302.
And some of us feel that they never should have done away with the 5.0. Maybe I'm just projecting; I hate the 4.6l.

1970_Plymouth_Superbird_440_Six_Pack.jpg

1969-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Front-Angle-Maroon-sy.jpg

1970-Dodge-Challenger-Lime-Green-fa-c-ma.jpg

Pontiac_GTO_1966.jpg

...basically my idea is to why bother with a new "updated" "retro styled" or "retro inspired" "muscle car"

...just make the original. its tons better looking than their modern counterparts anyways. :mrgreen:

Ok this crappy tag line from Fast & Furious had me thinking when I first heard it "If a car company used that the car would fail miserably." But after thinking about it and realizing that many people are screaming far cars like those from back in the day, what cars would do well, or at least be thought of as a good idea if they just started selling it again, maybe with some minor* tweaks (like the South African VW Citi).

Good thread.

Except for us South Africans didn't just start selling Citis again, we never stopped selling them since they were first made :mrgreen:

Like you, I would love to see BMW start selling the first gen M3. They should drop the new high revving V8 in the car. Should be an absolute epic car to drive : )