• 24-inch full hd

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 27-inch 2560x1440

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

caro

Car(s)
2 girls, 1 cup, 2 bikes, 1 car...
I think it's time to replace my 17inch 1280x1024 monitor. One quick question, 24-inch most common 1920x1080 full hd screen or go big pimpin' with 27-inch 2560x1440 pixels ?

1. No one can give you a good answer because you didn't say what you're using it for or what hardware you will run it on.

2. Size and resolution are not the only things that matter, e.g. image quality or refresh rate matter based on what you do and what you like.

3. Why would anyone here cast a vote for a strictly worse option? (All other things being equal)

Normal daily using. I can afford 27-inch, I just want to know if this resolution isn't too big for it ?

It's not. I had 1920x1200 on 27" for many years until I moved to 4K, and while good for my deep desk a few extra pixels wouldn't have hurt.

Currently using a 27" iMac, same size and resolution (27", 2560x1440), it's pretty much the perfect size.

I don't know, a lot of people say everything more than 1080p on 24" is hard to live with.

I have a 21" 1080 display for my desktop while also having a laptop at 15" with 1080. 21" feels on the verge of "the resolution is too low." Kind of like how 1366X768 on a 13-14" or 19" is just ridiculous unless you have bad eyes. It's up to you really. My old boss got a 24" 1080 display and it looks like when old people increase the font size on iPhones. You would have to see it in person and then make your decision.

More pixels just mean a better picture, and more space - not necessarily smaller text.

I tend to err the other way. I like having my monitor pushed back on my desk, so for me, if the monitor size I was looking at came in 3 resolutions, I'd get the middle or lower res. From the distance I sit from it, even my 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor is right in the sweet spot for me.

I used a 29" ultrawide that was 1440 for a few days, and it was miserable. Today I used a 34" 3440 x 1440 ultrawide and it was really nice...but the desk was also 4" shallower than my desk at home, and it felt like I had to turn my head too much to see the corners because the monitor was so close. If it was slightly curved, it may have been better.

Absolutely, both macOS and Windows will increase font size as resolution goes up. I remember when the retina MacBooks were coming out and was disappointed when the desktop space looked the same as before on 1280x800 machines.

I know I want 2560x1440. I'm not sure my graphic card will make it. It's GeForce GTX 650 TI BOOST, 2GB:

Maximum Digital Resolution 4096x2160
Maximum VGA Resolution 2048x1536

Is it enough ? I don't play games at all.

Last edited:
Thanks, now I just had to choose one.

If you are not gaming and want to save some money on a 1440p screen, why not one of those Pixel perfect Korean panels you see on eBay? Their UI generally less pleasing than conventional brands and they have enormous bezels, but the tradeoff is that they can be had for 30-40% less of what a name-brand one would cost.

If you want to be completely 100% safe, something like the ASUS PB278Q should do the trick.

Last edited:
If your budget can take it, I'd go for an ultrawide (21:9) monitor. (3440x1440)

Hey,

at work I think I use this monitor, a DELL S2415H. Only mine is 23' I think. And Im not sure if this is the exactly the same, but mine is also "frameless" and has the glass like glossy finish and at home I will buy a glossy finish monitor because I think it adds to the quality. And I use an 10 - 15 year old HP Office pc with it runing Win_XP.

But even with such an old PC the monitor is unreal! If You put a nature themed wallpaper, like mountains or a forest, looking at the picture though that monitor feels like You really are looking through a window, like You could put Your arms through it outside!

I really recommend to go to a shop, find one at ask to turn it on to see. :)

(Tomorrow Ill the the exact model at work) :)

Glossy screens look AMAZING...unless there's any chance for glare. Because of that, sadly, I typically always by matte/satin/anti-glare. :(