James May: New Oz and James's Big Wine Adventure Season starts October 16

Well, here's what they suggested at the end of S1:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/tv_and_radio/wineadventure_interview.shtml
Are there plans for another series? If so, where would you like to go next?

Oz: There's a whole range of places we could go to next - Spain or Portugal in Europe, or even Australia, or North or South America.

James: I?d like to go somewhere in the New World, perhaps Australia or New Zealand where things are very different from France, where you have the grape variety on the label and people are very open about things, unlike France which is wantonly rustic and obscure. Chile might also be interesting - they have some great red wines. But that?s only if I could take Oz, otherwise the local pub will do fine.

Now that all is said and done, I can wholeheartedly say that.... The first one was way better and the second series failed due to a significant drop in the entertainment value.

In the first series, the main object of the show was to get James, a combative novice, interested in the high culture of wine and learn about wine making. This was a terrific dynamic to start from, however the fact that James was working against Oz's success in this, was really what made the show worth watching; I've stated this before in this tread. But it was missing from this last series - frankly it would have been impossible to repeat anyway - and that was what ruined it for me.
Yes I know James had a quest to find a decent, affordable?blah, blah, blah? bottle of wine for less than a tenner, but I found this boring and perhaps it was even a bit forced. Also a lot of other parts of the show seemed clearly to be scripted; that wasn?t so on the first series.

So James, YOU FAILED! RWWARRRRR

Last edited:
The original idea for the second series was in fact to go to Australia, but then Richard had the crah, Top Gear was postponed and they had to reschedule.

From an interview at:http://www.james-may.co.uk

Who made the decision to go to the United States?
"Again, it was a bit messed up by the scheduling of Top Gear because we would have gone earlier in the year. We wanted to do the New World because its simpler and we wanted to get down to the grass roots of what wine was really about rather than just having a go at the French all the time. And the obvious place to go was Australia but we'd have to go to Australia in our winter, but we couldn't do that because of Top Gear and so on, so we had to do one we could do in the summer which meant the Northern Hemisphere which meant California. We thought California as people know the film Sideways was done there so we could go and take the piss out of everybody."

Australia and New Zealand in some sort of V8 ute!

what are u talking about? Australia is known for good wine, i suspect they will be there next season;)

I meant to say why not :p

Thanks.

Just downloaded the torrent in 45 min. The FASTEST I have ever downloaded a torrent.

Thanks also to every one that has opened the taps on your upload speed. Really appreciate it.
Yeah, I decided not to limit the upload speed this time, so there was a 100mbit seedbox available :rolleyes:

Not to sound ungratefull or anything, but...

am I the only one with a few glitches in the last OZ & James Episode? Or is that just encoded in? (nothing to bad like 3 minor graphic glitches for half a second or so in the whole episode)

Basically asking to figure out if my download messed up a bit.

I can honestly say I liked the second season better. I found it more interesting. It seemed like the chemistry between James and Oz was better, more funny.

I can honestly say I liked the second season better. I found it more interesting. It seemed like the chemistry between James and Oz was better, more funny.

agreed. the chemistry near the end of the second season seemed stronger. it makes things more promising for season three where they'll hopefully be going to Australia

I prefer Season 2. Would have been cool if they had gone the vineyards of a friend in Russian River Valley though (Korbel Champagne Cellars)

Just watched the last episode of the latest series and I thought it was actually really informative... once you get passed all of the silly "challenges" they do. I am going to start watching series one now as I missed it when it was on in the UK originally.

I downloaded and watched both series in the last week and it was really enjoyable! I might even start taking a liking to wine now.

It's funny though, I never knew Locke from Lost was a wine expert in the UK.

I downloaded and watched both series in the last week and it was really enjoyable! I might even start taking a liking to wine now.

It's funny though, I never knew Locke from Lost was a wine expert in the UK.

Who from what? :?

John Locke from the ABC TV series Lost... you're telling me that's not him with James?

lost-locke.jpg

John Locke from the ABC TV series Lost... you're telling me that's not him with James?

lost-locke.jpg

Umm, I don't watch Lost... which episode is it?

Also: idea for the next series- I would like James to find a cheap Ice Wine :D