New Patch: Formula BMW FB02

FireFox

Not the Browser
Car(s)
Ford Fiesta (2008), sold Toyota Carina II.
Scawen said:
Hello Racers!

We are pleased to announce that there will be a new patch before Christmas. This patch will contain AI and physics improvements, updated Blackwood and South City tracks and... a new real car - The Formula BMW FB02!

The story behind the new car is that there is a new UK based company called V1 Championship whose aim is to discover a new racing driver through a series of tests resulting in a place in a team for the winning driver. V1 will be launched in 2008 and shown on TV in the UK. Live for Speed will be used as part of the selection process, before testing in real cars. V1 asked us to create a Formula BMW to make this test as realistic as possible. BMW Motorsport gave us permission to build the car in LFS, so we went ahead and built it.

The V1 car is owned by Fortec Motorsport where V1 is based. Thanks to V1 and Fortec, I was able to get a test day driving the Formula BMW and that helped a lot with the realism of the LFS version of the car.

Many forum users will have been expecting the finished GTR racing car interiors to be included, as that was originally planned for Patch Y. But the Formula BMW caused a change of plans, so those much anticipated interiors aren't quite ready yet. Anyway, the FZ, XR and XF GTR and road car interiors are near complete and will be released as soon as possible.

We can't give an exact date for the release yet but it will be before Christmas. Right now you can watch a video of my test day and footage of the car in LFS. Thanks to DoN for making the video. Click the link below to download it. If it doesn't play on your computer, just visit www.divx.com and install the free DivX player.

www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_FBMW_LORES.zip (30 MB)
www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_FBMW_HIRES.zip (69 MB)

We hope you enjoy the video and we look forward to releasing the patch, which is currently being thoroughly tested! :)
Edit: Youtube version:
[YOUTUBE]b26HuguLwFI[/YOUTUBE]
Looks good :)
:burnrubber:

Last edited:
Looks good to me as well, I'm curious about the track updates. New car is nice too, although I'm not the biggest fan of single seaters. That being said I still look forward. :)

:driving:

I am not that interested about the car either. It could end up being boring like FOX.

But we could still squeeze a race with it somewhere in the next season? :)

:thumbsup:

Well, this hit broadside.

Geez, this car would run nicely with the TBO or FWD GTR class...or if someone is smart, make a racing league to include all four single seaters! And thank you LFS for making the AI better, and more importantly, actual working clutch physics.

...this game is going to be HUGE come next year, just you watch.

LFS is the best racing game ive ever played, the physics is just in its own league.

Only games i can think of thats up there with LFS are GT4 and ToCA 3

attachment.php

:)

I now have a reason to fix the soundcard issues on my gaming rig.

Absolutely stunning as to what has been done to it. So many little fixes that I've been waiting for a while.

Damn it and I have to work now! :mad:

A few of the highlights for me from the list are:

Damage repair is now a selectable option
Blackwood & SO updates
Pit Stop fuel is now the fuel amount to be added at pit stop (should've been like this from the beginning)

One thing I don't like:
Removed digital speedo option - now depends on type of car <_<

I'll list the important (for me) stuff :)

Gear change auto throttle cut and blip options removed
gah...

RB4 - reduced mass by 18 kg / FXO - reduced tyre width
YES!!

Racing tyres generate more heat and wear more quickly
haha, that's gonna create some problems ;)

Left / right one button look functions now 45 degrees
Left + right two button look functions now 90 degrees
I don't quite see the purpose of this. I guess I have to try it and see how it works. Does it mean that look back is not accessible by pressing look left + look right? If so that's a shame.

Damage repair is now a selectable option
:thumbsup:

Removed digital speedo option - now depends on type of car
I'm not sure how to feel about it. I use digital because it takes less space, forcing analog might be annoying.

Pit Stop fuel is now the fuel amount to be added at pit stop
Finally, that's how it should've been from the start.

Added new multiplayer option : force cockpit view
Ouch. Well, at least there are new options for adjusting cockpit view it seems.

Forced view was already available I think, seen it before on some servers. Don't know what changed it about it.

I did a few laps with the mouse quickly. I find the clutch on gti weird, it burns within 1-2laps. On other cars it was ok, but on gti i burned in multiple times rather quickly.

I like new SO textures, but I don't like 2 bits that were taken away. One was the pavement in (so classic e.g.) 1st corner, after bridge, on the outside. It's flat now completely, don't like that. I like that SO is overall much bumpier, even in road cars I got dizzy. New SO combo is alright, but nothing special sadly.

BW updates are nice too, I like how the curbs are smaller in width, and they took away the green rubber thing on the outside after 1st corner, only a tiny bit left, that should make things more interesting.

And I actually like this:
Gear change auto throttle cut and blip options removed

It will be interesting. The SO and BW updates were done well and you can't run out after the back straight onto the grass anymore. New line for that corner.

Still getting used to the clutch overheating.

The new BMW is fun. It is slower than a FOX.

I did a few laps with the mouse quickly. I find the clutch on gti weird, it burns within 1-2laps. On other cars it was ok, but on gti i burned in multiple times rather quickly.

Did some testing and you actually have to lift the throttle between upshifts. When I didn't lift the throttle within 3 laps it was cooked.

As another example, the XRR has a sequential with ignition cut so the ignition gets cut on upshifts automatically.

It looks like there will be different driving styles for different cars depending on how long the race is. GOOD!!!!

Yup :)
After you burned the clutch completly, you have to wait 10/12 minutes before the clutch is cool again. Would be very cool to see how MoE will handle this. I guess there will be many and many pitstops due to the clutch :)

Yup :)
After you burned the clutch completly, you have to wait 10/12 minutes before the clutch is cool again. Would be very cool to see how MoE will handle this. I guess there will be many and many pitstops due to the clutch :)
Except it wouldn't help, because engine/clutch damages won't get fixed during a pit stop. :p