TV: New Star Trek Series "Discovery" Premieres January 2017

I mean, if the show gets enough airtime and she's really the main star of the show, the promotions are almost certainly going to happen because it's natural progression, not only because of background reasons.

There's not too many promotions from Lt.Cmdr to Captain (2, I think?). Really the only important thing is that there needs to be some drama regarding the previous captain, or she needs to get her own ship.

I think Sisko was promoted from Cmdr to Captain during DS9? But then again it kinda had to happen because he got his own ship, and he didn't exactly replace anyone.

I'm pretty excited to have a female lead in this, btw. Hopefully she'll be written as a LaForge/Trip kind of young officer, rather than a Kim/Paris kind of officer...

Edit: oh and I should mention, she can captain the ship regardless of her rank, so they could write something along those lines if they want. Perhaps a catastrophic event of some kind.

Last edited:
Only 10 years before TOS? Boooo. I was hoping for 50-60 years, about halfway between NX-01 and NCC-1701.

Last edited:
Only 10 years TOS? Boooo. I was hoping for 50-60 years, about halfway between NX-01 and NCC-1701.

Plus, what if they hit season 11? Will they start needing to make sure they don't break TOS continuity running parallel?

I just want to know when they will run into a younger Kirk, and will he be in the arms of an alien?

So the new show is set to premiere in six months and they still haven't cast the lead character? This doesn't smell right...

So the new show is set to premiere in six months and they still haven't cast the lead character? This doesn't smell right...

I was thinking the same thing....a teaser that looks half finished and now this? Either production value on this is going to be 1980's like low, or somebody is pulling a fast one on us.

Back in the thirties, David O. Selznick held open casting sessions and orchestrated a huge "Search for Scarlett" PR campaign to drum up interest for "Gone with the Wind", while Vivien Leigh had long been agreed upon as the lead actress...

...so, keeping the audience in the dark in order to maximize the impact of some big reveal (Summer Glau? Morena Baccarin? Wishful Thinking?) is not exactly a new strategy.

Additionally, a one-hour network TV episode (including, but not limited to "Trek) normally has a shooting schedule of seven to nine days. Even allowing for more time as it's a feature-length pilot and the crew has yet to get into the right working rhythm, they won't shoot more than 15 to 18 days (three working weeks). Add a few weeks for editing and VFX work, and I still would not expect them to start shooting more than three months before the press screener sendout date.

Last edited:
Half a season is better than no season.

Back in the thirties, David O. Selznick held open casting sessions and orchestrated a huge "Search for Scarlett" PR campaign to drum up interest for "Gone with the Wind", while Vivien Leigh had long been agreed upon as the lead actress...

...so, keeping the audience in the dark in order to maximize the impact of some big reveal (Summer Glau? Morena Baccarin? Wishful Thinking?) is not exactly a new strategy.

Additionally, a one-hour network TV episode (including, but not limited to "Trek) normally has a shooting schedule of seven to nine days. Even allowing for more time as it's a feature-length pilot and the crew has yet to get into the right working rhythm, they won't shoot more than 15 to 18 days (three working weeks). Add a few weeks for editing and VFX work, and I still would not expect them to start shooting more than three months before the press screener sendout date.

I hear that, but are you sure it still works that way Doc? I mean things like GoT or Breaking Bad to name a few, they raised the bar in production value so much....I can see them knocking out an 80's Night rider episode out in seven days, but not one of those.

Also I'm not sure how I feel about Glau or Baccarin as a lead....they deserve the work obviously, but actors switching universes always feels so wrong :p

Last edited:
It's the serialisation I don't like.

I completely disagree. Baddie of the week doesn't hold up anymore and doesn't allow for as much character development.

I want a book or a movie on TV -- a long, winding plot that grows and transforms.

I think the final episodes of DS9 were some of its best for example because they experimented with an arcing storyline.

For me it was not so much because the storyline was arcing but because the story was just bad. Also they milked everything from the fact that it was arcing. Everything ended with a terrible cliffhanger so it never really felt satisfying to finish an episode.

Voyager had pretty long arcing themes related to the places they were at and when they stuck to those it was really good.

Agreed. Enterprise just sucked in general.

I hear that, but are you sure it still works that way Doc? I mean things like GoT or Breaking Bad to name a few, they raised the bar in production value so much....I can see them knocking out an 80's Night rider episode out in seven days, but not one of those.
Well, as GoT shoots on location on several continents, they don't really produce "per episode", but finish all scenes per location for all episodes as one block, as one would do for a feature film.
That being said, they average two weeks, meaning ten to twelve days, per episode. Also, you have to keep in mind that CBS' new streaming outfit won't have the budget of Netflix or even HBO, so looking at "old" Trek or other high quality network shows seems to be more realistic. All the perceived "high quality" network shows have to make do with less than 10 shooting days per episode. I remember that it was a big talking point back when people figured out that William Petersen's $600.000 per episode salary on his last full season of "CSI" more or less directly translated into $600.000 per week...

Agreed. Enterprise just sucked in general.

I really like Enterprise. Not as much as DS9, but way more than Voyager.

The 3rd season arc was cool in that it was all season, but I just don't think it was a very good arc, story wise.

I'm a huge Star Trek fan and one of the things about "Enterprise" is that it tied up a lot of the discrepancies between TOS and TNG. It explained why the Klingons look different in TOS than the other series, it gets into Dr. Noonian Soong and how he got started on cybernetics, the Andorians are prominently featured, and the Orions and Tellurites also play a significant role.

I don't know how they are going to shoe-horn in an entire show just a decade before TOS and not fuck up all the careful work that went into "Enterprise".

'Enterprise' was the only Star Trek show I actually really liked....

They are all good when you judge them on their own merits.