TV: New Star Trek Series "Discovery" Premieres January 2017

You can watch with a US vpn, but I've mirrored it on my gdrive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4yQ4dLqNhWtSWNyZU1nY2FtcjQ/view

There's a few glimpses of the new redesign of the ship, which I'm not hating. Would still need a much clearer view before I make an opinion, though, but from what I've seen it's a big improvement over the sneak peek we got before.

Also, don't read the youtube comments, the trolls are out in force with this one. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks IceBone.

Not sure about the uniforms. Considering the timeframe this is set in, they should look more like the Original Series uniforms.

Well, I just finished watching the first two episodes. Its pretty good, I liked it.

I think, however, that the production design is heavily out of sync with the rest of the Star Trek universe. The Klingons have always had a very consistent and recognizable design language, which the new show has chosen to disregard.

There were a lot of flaws in the only episode I have seen thus far. I am not throwing it under the bus at this point, but it makes me wonder what this will become.

Those comments sound exactly like people's reaction to Enterprise back in the day. I ended up liking that series too. We'll see about this. Now I just gotta find out how to watch this in .fi....

I liked Enterprise right from the start.

God this is terrible. While I can appreciate and like all of the previous Star Trek shows for what they are individually this one already is trash. Some of those effects are dated and the casting is crummy. Everything I've seen has piss poor dialogue mostly because of the actors but the writing also doesn't help. I was originally excited about a new ST TV show but now I wish it would of never happened. I hate the new look Star Trek movies for what they've done to the franchise and this continues that craptastic trend and yet somehow making it even worse. Face it, whether you're a Trekkie (aka obsessive nerd about the details) or a huge ST fan (that just like each show on it's own merits) this is a disappointing show. Why they decided to move away from the TNG/DS9/Voyager formula and style I'll never know--though I suspect it is to appeal to the young millennial non-Caucasian demographic only and or casuals. While Enterprise wasn't the strongest in the ST series pecking order it is still light years (pun!) better TV than this new show. On a semi-related note I actually really enjoyed Enterprise after the first few episodes. The first few eps were pretty rough though.

And I didn't even get in to the CBS paywall thing either...

I still have not seen any episodes. I'm not signing up for a whole new streaming service (and one that doesn't have an app for my XBox so I have to stream from my phone to the Chromecast) just to watch one show. I'm a huge Trek fan, but I won't validate this idiotic business plan. Fox is pulling their content off Netflix, Disney is too and launching their own proprietary service, CBS has already started it, and HBO is an add-on through Amazon.

Fuck everything about this. If I were to sign up for all these services, I would end up paying as much I was for cable. If Game Of Thrones won't get me to buy HBO on Amazon, Star Trek sure as hell won't get me to buy a completely new platform.

I've watched the first two episodes and was pleasantly surprised. Will definitely watch more.

The opening theme is overwhelmingly shit, though.

It's a little bland I grant you, the titles I mean, but it's kind of on trend if you look at stuff like Westworld. I liked the way the graphics echoed avant-grade animation styles and some other stylistic cues from TV shows in the 60s.

And the episode itself? Well the solution to the problem in the pre-titles sequence was obvious on long-range sensors from over 6 light years away, although I can see why they did it, but on the whole I enjoyed the first episode very much. Looking forward to how this develops.

I just watched both episodes, and generally speaking I liked it. But I can't deny that there were way more "Well who saw that coming.. oh wait, everybody" moments that I'd have expected and liked. I mean they have a ton of those "OMG LEADING EXPOSITION" moments where everyone with half a brain knows what this will probably be used for later. The only thing that I didn't expect, was the very ending of the second episode (sentence). But I'll keep watching.

Fuck everything about this. If I were to sign up for all these services, I would end up paying as much I was for cable. If Game Of Thrones won't get me to buy HBO on Amazon, Star Trek sure as hell won't get me to buy a completely new platform.

This. I hate what's happening with everyone having their own streaming service. I won't participate. It's sad enough I have three right now...that's all I'm inclined to get. I fucking dumped cable for a god damned good reason and this feels like more money grabbing by the industry.

What about the rest of us who can't even get anything other than just Netflix? Kinda feels good to finally be given something without having to work for it.

I would be thrilled if Discovery was on Netflix in the US, even with a one week delay.

Me too!

So the first two episodes were strange, especially the ending. Felt more like a feature film - and a depressing one - thank a pilot setting up viewers to want to continue watching.

I watched the "After Trek" episode, which is like Talking Dead and the like (Same production company...but with a different Nerdist contributor) and the host (Matt Mira) said something like he felt "like this was a two hour cold open" and I think he got it spot on.

I don't think the story has really started yet, or at least not in any real way. I mean heck, we haven't even seen the Discovery yet. I'm not saying it was the best 2 hours of TV I've ever watched, but I still liked it and I'll keep watching. I agree with ya'll about not wanting to pay extra to watch it though, so I'll be taking "Alternative" routes for now. I don't see how this is going to be financially viable for CBS, so this could very well be a pretty short lived series for that reason alone. I hadn't even heard of CBS All Access before this series and I don't think it has the draw to really get people to sign up either.

Still...I'll happily keep watching for free. I've certainly seen worse TV.

So the first two episodes were strange, especially the ending. Felt more like a feature film - and a depressing one - thank a pilot setting up viewers to want to continue watching.

Unlike all the other Star Trek shows, which were all series, this one is a serial. It won't have episodic plotliness, just one long story told over the whole season.