TV: New Star Trek Series "Discovery" Premieres January 2017

That's my point. The pilot told a complete story, not the beginning of the season arc:
There were three characters (two heroines, one villain), everyone else was not important. Two of these characters are dead, the third imprisoned for life.

It is obvious that Burnham will get out of prison and have new adventures, but that's only because we know there will be more episodes.

Think of it in terms of every first superhero movie released over the last decade or so. The first two episodes were effectively an origin story - the real story will develop in the coming weeks.

I'm liking it a lot. I can't quite see the point of redesigning the Klingons to such an extent, and their stilted dialogue with subtitles is a little annoying, but on the whole I'm really enjoying it. It's certainly showing a lot more early promise to my mind than Enterprise ever did.

I think episode three will go like this: A few years will pass while our protagonist stews in a prison cell, then circumstances with the Klingon empire force the higher ups to pull her out and assign her to the Discovery, which is then sent in to deal with the threat.

Reactions: MWF
I watched these last night. A nice start. Looking forward to more episodes.

As far as the Klingons? There's never really been a consistency between eras on the way they look. TOS was basically black face. The movies, TNG, etc. it all was sort of fluid.

I think episode three will go like this: A few years will pass while our protagonist stews in a prison cell, then circumstances with the Klingon empire force the higher ups to pull her out and assign her to the Discovery, which is then sent in to deal with the threat.

Dude, spoilers! :shakefist:

and their stilted dialogue with subtitles is a little annoying,

Dude.. the main guy spoke so fucking slow, it was highly annoying to sit through his attempts to speak klingon, taking like 5 seconds for 3 words.. most others were less annoying, but this dude just felt like teaching small kids their first words... or talking to granny with her hearing aid off..

Dude.. the main guy spoke so fucking slow, it was highly annoying to sit through his attempts to speak klingon, taking like 5 seconds for 3 words.. most others were less annoying, but this dude just felt like teaching small kids their first words... or talking to granny with her hearing aid off..

Couldn't be any worse than this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYmtQcyDugV/

As far as the Klingons? There's never really been a consistency between eras on the way they look. TOS was basically black face. The movies, TNG, etc. it all was sort of fluid.

I was more annoyed by the Klingon ship designs. Any other Klingon ship has been instantly recognisable as being Klingon because of the design language used. Not so any more.

I was more annoyed by the Klingon ship designs. Any other Klingon ship has been instantly recognisable as being Klingon because of the design language used. Not so any more.
I didn't even think of that. Some of the ships had a similar design, but you are right they didn't look Klingon. Is the difference the fact this was before Klingons reunified?

I doubt it. The Klingon ships in Enterprise (set well before Discovery) were still unmistakably Klingon in their design aesthetic.

I think they just decided to make a complete departure from any pre-existing style that has been created for the Klingon's. Obviously the language stuck and some of the religious/cultural stuff, but aesthetically and biologically they seem to have made a deliberate effort to re-imagine things.

I don't mind it so much even though it was a little confusing at first. The style they chose seems to be more heavily makeup and costume intensive, which sounds expensive to me. For a show that is relying on an internet based show's budget scheme I'm not so sure that was a good choice but I guess we'll see.

I think they just decided to make a complete departure from any pre-existing style that has been created for the Klingon's. Obviously the language stuck and some of the religious/cultural stuff, but aesthetically and biologically they seem to have made a deliberate effort to re-imagine things.

Which is not a good idea considering that this series is supposed to have continuity with all of the previous TV series.

The style they chose seems to be more heavily makeup and costume intensive, which sounds expensive to me. For a show that is relying on an internet based show's budget scheme I'm not so sure that was a good choice but I guess we'll see.

One of the producers has said that since this show is on a paid service, it has to have a cinema-quality look to it.

Watching episode 3 now.

Could this show be about the origins of the Genesis project from Star Trek III: The Search for Spock?

Edit: As it turns out, no.

Last edited:
Spoiler tags?

Is it necessary in the thread specifically to talk about the show?

In the Doctor Who thread we had a rule of thumb of using spoiler tags for the first two or three days after the airing to give the torrenters some time to catch up.

In the Doctor Who thread we had a rule of thumb of using spoiler tags for the first two or three days after the airing to give the torrenters some time to catch up.

Or those with a legitimate means to watch the show but haven't yet because, y'know, time zones?