TV: New Star Trek Series "Discovery" Premieres January 2017

Speculation is not spoilers. Only facts are spoilers.

It's still a spoiler if it has the potential to affect someone's perception as they watch an episode for the first time.

Spoiler tags aren't that time consuming to type! :p

Nope. By that definition any theory or concept is a spoiler. No way. A spoiler has to include factual information not available to people who who haven't watched the show.

Generally I agree, but stating "I expected or guessed X and Y would be the thing they do, but they didn't" is effectively telling others what doesn't happen out of the realm of likely scenarios. And for something so lore heavy, that is definitely a spoiler for many. This specifically wasn't for me, but I'm not deep enough in the lore/history to have understood what he meant, but it did immediately made me hit BACK without reading any more replies, because I did not want any spoilers half an hour before watching it.

On the topic of spoilers, everyone going into a thread dedicated to a specific TV show or movie after release has to expect reading about the latest plot developments. If you haven't watched it and don't want to read spoilers, simply don't open the thread.

Regarding the third ep "Context is for Kings", it was certainly an improvement over the pilot. Still doesn't feel very trekky to me, though - but I haven't decided if that's good or bad yet.
Also, please kill off the oversensitive roommate soon.

Nope. By that definition any theory or concept is a spoiler. No way. A spoiler has to include factual information not available to people who who haven't watched the show.

You're missing the point. A polite and perfectly reasonable request has been made that you put any conjecture into spoiler tags so as not to affect anyone else's viewing. Just because something might not technically be considered a spoiler is no justification for not complying and respecting the wishes of others.

Tl;dr? Spoiler tags take but seconds so please don't be an arse about it. Thank you.

We are back on Tr(ac/e)k to Klingon Make-up continuity!

The black Starfleet badges- Section 31?
Entirely possible that we are seeing it's birth: What is also obvious is that the spore drive will soon be weaponized, leading to the well-known Klingon virus. Section 31 could cover that war crime, thus returning us to the traditional timeline (and Klingon make-up). Something as powerful as the spore drive can't be undone in the continuity without something going horribly wrong.

Also, what a mess of an episode. Fuck this shit. Let's hope the next one will be better.

I didn't think it was that bad. Fleshing out some of the other characters.

Although anooying roommate is annoying. Already turning into Discovery's Kes. Far better to have had Michael in solitary while off duty and only allowed a uniform etc while working.

God damn the way the Klingons talk on this show is annoying.

It feels like they all take twice as long to say anything as they did on any previous show. T'Kuvma was particularly bad, I'm glad he's dead.

Entirely possible that we are seeing it's birth: What is also obvious is that the spore drive will soon be weaponized, leading to the well-known Klingon virus. Section 31 could cover that war crime, thus returning us to the traditional timeline (and Klingon make-up). Something as powerful as the spore drive can't be undone in the continuity without something going horribly wrong.

That should have happened already in the primary Star Trek timeline. It was dealt with in the last season of Enterprise.

God damn the way the Klingons talk on this show is annoying.

It feels like they all take twice as long to say anything as they did on any previous show. T'Kuvma was particularly bad, I'm glad he's dead.

Amen to that. It's so stilted and draggy. I wonder if it's an issue that's been widely raised by the broader fanbase that they might address in future seasons?

There's also the super secret phase shift cloak from TNG. That got hurried successfully too.

Sooo... Anthony Rapp, aka Lt Stamets, has just revealed that Kevin Spacey made drunken and unwelcome advances to him when he was a teenage minor.

Ironically and rather amusingly, in the episode first aired on the day the revelations became public, his character in Discovery has the line "Why would you apologise for a random act of physical interaction?" :lmao:

Spacey has since lost his Emmy and Netflix has cancelled "House of Cards" in the wake of the news.

How long before Star Trek geeks are attacked at conventions by raging mobs of HoC fans thirsting for blood I wonder? :hmm:

Even more ironically, 20 years ago Spacey portrayed a gay man who, while everyone already figured he was gay, had never admitted to the fact and ended up on trial for the murder of a younger male lover. Life truly imitating art it would seem.

Last edited:
Threading lightly around the 'REEE's, doesn't it seem like a bit of an overreaction until you get something beyond "She said"?

Netflix claims that the HoC cancellation was planned anyways and they only moved the press release date. Apart from that, just as with Weinstein, Spacey's habit of molesting young men seems to have been an open secret in Hollywood, so it's far from only being "(s)he said".

Agreed. One is, however, forced to wonder whether Rapp's motivation isn't as much down to the recent revelations about Harvey Weinstein and more about the fact that he has a current show to plug.