new work computers..

hey whats up all...i'm getting ready to do some computer shopping...for work that is, and we need two of something affordable...mainly looking at the big names, but am open to having them built as well...i need to stay well under a G for each and they need flat panel monitors (i'm sure i can get those for cheep elsewhere)...i dunno...open to ideas, just tryin to get this ball rolling...

thanks in advance
-john

We have been buying Dell's for the last two years where I work. They make solid hardware that has a low failure rate. Used Compaq as well an have had no problems with them. Gateway was the only one we have used that I would not recommend. The laptop hard drive failure rate was insane on our Gateway laptops.

I'm not an IT person (I'm a programmer), but we also use Dell at work here.

I normally don't like name brand computers because all of the proprietary crap that they seem to have (although it's not that bad these days).
At home I've built my own computers from parts (using big name parts like Intel, Creative Labs, 3Com, NVidia, etc...), and was usually able to get a computer built (without software) $100-$200 cheaper than Dell, Gateway, etc... (I'm sure you could get a lot cheaper if you use non big name brand parts).
I'm not certain how practical that would be for a business though.

Dell appears to be pretty solid though.

We've also have used Gateway, IBM and Compaq.

I share the negative opinion of Gateway, and it seems that we've had some failures with IBM laptops too.

Buying pre-built? Buy Dell.

Best to build, but that's not really feasible for a work environment. So, go Dell.

Another vote for Dell prebuilt here. If you're working for a company, they probably want name-brand comps that come with factory warranty and all that jazz. Yes, you can save money if you build it yourself, but I'd bet the company would rather buy a computer from one of the main companies. So dude, you're getting a Dell :mrgreen:

well there are only 2 computers ( + my laptop if i work things right....) and those two may come out as dells...they dont need anything fancy at all...

and im kinda the one making this decision, so i do have the option to build...

also, how feasible is it to build a laptop....?

EDIT: besides, i'm the one who's gonna fix it if it goes wrong anyways (scary thought, eh?)

Forget trying to build a laptop, more hassle than it's worth (in my opinion). Near impossible.

Under no circumstances would you want to build a laptop. You cannot buy them in parts like you could with a desktop not to mention the size of the screws, components, and connectors. What I would do is just try to find a good deal on a minimal spec laptop that is not too expensive. Trying to build one would not be a good idea even if you could get the indevidual parts.

okok...thats kinda what i thought on that...when you say buy a minimal spec laptop, do you mean it would be less expensive to do that and upgrade it?...

I just meant don't get more than you need to save money. This would mean lower amount of memory, smaller hard drive, and slower processor. The theory being that if you are running strictly business apps you don't need a 3k laptop to do it with. Upgrading down the line is possible but not recommended. Hard drives can be upgraded, but you will have to reinstall everything unless you can image your old drive which is kind of a pain in the a**. Memory can be upgraded easily though it would be cheaper if you get more when you buy the laptop. Processors, sound\video chipsets, and most other things cannot be ugraded on a laptop.

well the laptp will be my work/play computer...i'll probably split the cost 50/50 and just get the pimpinest one i can find...right now my lovey-dovey eyes are on the Sony Vaio X505 - mmmmmmmm!

img_thinnest.jpg

the work comps are basically used to access one website and one website only, i have them on lockdown cause they have issues with downloading...

but mine - the heaviest loads i'll be putting on it are Maya Unlimited 6.0, Adobe CS 8, and various video encoders....[/img]